ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #16
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

All good tips! Here are a few more.
http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/recipes.htm
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #17
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffleg View Post
The salmon I got the most raves for was cedar planked with fancy mustard and brown sugar on top. Mmmmm - can almost taste it now!
That sounds marvelous!

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #18
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffleg View Post
The salmon I got the most raves for was cedar planked with fancy mustard and brown sugar on top. Mmmmm - can almost taste it now!
That reminds me of another one I did that was really good...

Dice shallots and saute lightly in butter. Add spicy brown mustard and maple syrup... keep warm. Cook salmon on cedar plank about 10-12 minutes. Glaze with mixture for the last 5 minutes or so. Pull salmon. Apply more glaze. Let rest for 5 minutes.

Sweet but VERY good.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #19
smokinvic
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh View Post
Plank cook it with an alder plank if you can get one and have time to soak it for 3-4 hrs.

Paul

What is it you are soaking it in? Also, do you cook it over direct heat or indirect? Does the plank essentialy serve as the "smoke flavor", so no wood chunks or chips are necessary? And what are usual cook times? I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!! Thanks for the thread!

"I am the Lizard King.... I can do anything."

"Out here on the perimeter there are no stars... out here we is stoned.... immaculate" - An American Poet
smokinvic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #20
MRI_Guy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw23 View Post
DO you heat the plank up first or does it all go on at the same time?
Here is how the Elders (well, my own twist on how the Elders cook on a plank).

Take a side of salmon. A 'lean' salmon like Coho works better than a 'fatty' salmon like Chinook. And never EVER use farm raised Atlantic salmon.

Make a rub of brown sugar, white sugar, salt and a bit of pepper.

Liberally rub the flesh side of the salmon with the dry ingredients and place in a glass dish (in my case - a LARGE glass dish) for about 12+ hours.

In the meantime, go out to the woods and get some cedar or alder. But since I don't live in Alaska any longer - I head to the local Home Depot for cedar.

Cut a length of wood to just fit onto the grill or fish (whatever is smaller) and soak.

Wash any remaining rub off of the salmon.

If using cedar from Home Depot instead of a SE Alaska rainforest - put the salmon skin side down on the non-splintered side of the plank.

Get the grill blazing hot, put the wet cedar & salmon on the grill and cover. If at a tailgate party, the smoking salmon will attract people from across UW Lot 60 or the Carousel Campground at Road America.

Dependinig upon the thickness of your filet - cooking time will be about 15-30 minutes.

MRI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #21
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinvic View Post
What is it you are soaking it in? Also, do you cook it over direct heat or indirect? Does the plank essentialy serve as the "smoke flavor", so no wood chunks or chips are necessary? And what are usual cook times? I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!! Thanks for the thread!

Add a weight and soak it in water. Some folks use some wine in there, but I've never tried that.

Cook direct over a medium hot fire. The plank will smoulder, and this sounds weird, but the smoke whisps around the edges and bathes the food in an envelope of smoke. I cook salmon until 140* and it will continue to cook after coming off the pit. When you see the white protein starting to weep out, keep an eye on the internal temperature.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #22
smokinvic
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Add a weight and soak it in water. Some folks use some wine in there, but I've never tried that.

Cook direct over a medium hot fire. The plank will smoulder, and this sounds weird, but the smoke whisps around the edges and bathes the food in an envelope of smoke. I cook salmon until 140* and it will continue to cook after coming off the pit. When you see the white protein starting to weep out, keep an eye on the internal temperature.

Those scallops look awesome dude!! In addition to the Salmon. MAN!! I am going to have to try this!!!!

"I am the Lizard King.... I can do anything."

"Out here on the perimeter there are no stars... out here we is stoned.... immaculate" - An American Poet
smokinvic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

I bet those scallops sucked Off to the lumber yard or woodstash for some hickory!

Quote:
My Favorite!
Quote:

What is it you are soaking it in? Also, do you cook it over direct heat orindirect? Does the plank essentialy serve as the "smoke flavor", so no wood chunks or chips are necessary? And what are usual cook times? I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!! Thanks for the thread!
I use 3/4" planks and i think that increases the cooking times. With the thinner planks you probably have more heat transfer through the plank. Cooking times vary and with fish i usually do the flake test.

Paul
milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #24
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

thanks guys for all the responses. Here is a the recipe I wound up using and it made a fantastic sweet gingery salmon that didnt taste super fishy. I used fresh ginger and fresh garlic and squeezed oranges for the orange juice. I will be using some of your suggestions in the future!

35 min | 20 min prep | SERVES 4
1 teaspoon ground ginger 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce 1/3 cup orange juice 1/4 cup honey 1 green onion, chopped 1 1/2 lbs salmon fillets
  1. In a large self-closing plastic bag, combine first six ingredients; mix well.
  2. Place salmon in bag and seal tightly.
  3. Turn bag gently to distribute marinade.
  4. Refrigerate 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes for stronger flavor.
  5. Turn bag occasionally.
  6. Lightly grease grill rack.
  7. Preheat grill to medium heat.
  8. Remove salmon from marinade; reserve the marinade.
  9. Grill 12-15 minutes per inch of thickness or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
  10. Brush with reserved marinade up until the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
  11. Discard leftover marinade.
http://www.recipezaar.com/13982

Last edited by bobaftt; 05-01-2008 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: read the rules on posting a link
bobaftt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
planking, salmon