The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Some Freezing Ideas

Pretty simple stuff here, but may be of use to some.
I hate taking a large bag of BBQ (or anything) out of the freezer and then having to eat it for the next week to use it up
So, here is how I handle stuff like Buckboard bacon, Canadian (to include the UnC... variation ) Bacon, Pastrami, Fatties, and stuff I just want a serving or two of at a time.

I freeze the meat on a sheet pan covered with freezer paper. Plain ole' wax paper would work just fine.
The little "stacks" work wonderful.
When frozen, the pieces break apart easy for stuffing into quart freezer bags.

The quart freezer bags hold serving size batches fine. Enough to last me a day or two at a time. I "squish" as much air out as possible, but not as good as vacuum sucking.

The final step is to put the quart bags into a gallon freezer bag. The double bagging seems to really help seal them up and prevent or minimize freezer burn.

For any longer term storage or larger quantities, I still use and love my FoodSaver!

Anyway, just some thoughts that work well for me.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
pat
is Blowin Smoke!

Great idea. I need to start doing this as we are forced to eat the same Q for days on end. Not that I'm complaining but smaller portions would be ideal.

Have you tried Simply Marvelous Rubs yet??

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
wlh3
is One Chatty Farker

Kapn I'm with you. Just the wife and I now,so when I freeze I use small quanties also. I freeze the Q in 3/4 lb packs or 1 1/2 lb packs dinner for two and lunches for two. The cost of the vacume bags is steep but worth not having to just eat it up. also being able to just warm up the bag from the freezer is nice. We do this camping alot of times
UDS #2 is done and cooking
Walker

I BBQ because it is just so PRIMAL
wlh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Que'inKC
is one Smokin' Farker

So let me understand this...You freeze the meat first on the freezer paper, then you package them into freezer bags, then put them back in the freezer?

WSM w/Mods
22" Weber Kettle - Gold
Country Smoker CS-450
KCBS Member #24405
CBJ #24405
[B]R Butts R Smokin Comp Team
[URL="http://www.rbuttsrsmokin.com"]www.rbuttsrsmokin.com[/URL]
[/B]
Que'inKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que'inKC View Post
So let me understand this...You freeze the meat first on the freezer paper, then you package them into freezer bags, then put them back in the freezer?
Exactly!

TIM

Unread 02-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
bbqbull

Downloads: 1

Explain your reasoning for freezing single slices before bagging and freezing Kapn.

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for the tips. It's just two of us now and it's hard to package for that sometimes.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Explain your reasoning for freezing single slices before bagging and freezing Kapn.
Iffin' I just put a bunch of slices in a bag and freeze--I get lots of moisture and a big glump of frozen stuff when I want to use it.
Frozen together by moisture.
That is not really meat moisture, just the moisture from the cooking process that clouds up the bag and hangs around forever.

Iffin' I freeze as described, the pieces and parts are separate and very manageable to use.
I can use a few slices or all of them easily since they are "separate" items.
Pulls off the surface moisture, but leaves the pieces and parts just like new.
Kinda like freezing corn in the same way. Instead of a "glob" of corn, you have the individual kernels to pour out!

Just a process for those small items where you want a "serving" and not a big meal.

That is all.

Did I "Muddy the Water" ???

TIM

Unread 02-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nope. You made it perfectly clear. I always freeze on a sheet pan in separate portions to "solidify" the product. Then I bag and freeze it.

Unread 02-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
Bigdog

Good tip Kapn.

Weber Platinum Kettle, Weber OTS, Meco square grill, ECB, a WSM, a cool fold up camping grill, a Blackstone flat top camping stove, The MOAB, and now the proud owner of a YS640, MOINK.

Smoke on Brother KC

Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #11
Divemaster

It's really just me here, but there is also the Mother, Daughter (away at school and looking for 'care packages') and the GF... I normally do small quantities (around 8 ounces) in the vac-u-suc and that works out fine for us...

What I liked was putting all those small bags into a large bag to keep them organized!!!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
bbqbull

Downloads: 1

Thanks Kapn, being an old dog........I learn something new here each and every day......

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2008, 03:49 AM   #13
swamprb

It's the way to go Tim! It's getting that way around my place too! I was packaging 8 and 16oz bags, but my wife and daughter are not big on leftovers, so the grab n' go bags work for me. I also have some cheapo square plastic servers I'll freeze bean soups, chili and spaghetti sauces, pop them out ouf the tray and into the Foodsaver bags, double sealed and boil when needed.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #14
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Not a bad idea. Since I'm single, I'm always looking for new ways to store my leftovers in single serving sizes. I may try your method as opposed to my current method of putting one or two servings into a vacume seal bag and then vac and seal it.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote