MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
CrackerJack from KC
Full Fledged Farker

Default Newbie has questions about Smokers

I have been smoking Briskets, Turkeys, and Jerky for years on my 2 cheapo Brinkmann electric smokers. They work great, but I have never cooked in a smoke ring, and I am ready to get in tune with the Piromaniac inside of me.

So I have been lurking here for a while and I have a few questions.

My 1st question is does every smoker need to be modified out of the box?
Does the U in UDS reallys stand for Ugly?
Should I look at Banderas, Offsets, or just default to a WSM?
Is there a difference between a Bandera and a SKD?
Should I buy new, or try to get a deal on a higher end used one?
PS, my budget is $300.
Are there ever any deals on smokers in KC?

I am sure these questions have been answered before, but I figure this is why the forum is here to help out newbies like me.
Traeger 070
Stoker
Worlds Fastest "Green" Thermapen

"Not a competition cook, just a guy who loves eating and cooking Q."

Last edited by CrackerJack from KC; 01-16-2008 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: Had biscuits on my brain when I spelled Briskets
CrackerJack from KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

Build yourself a UDS. For less than 50 bucks you can have yourself a serious kick ass smoker. Plus the build it yourself factor is really awsome.

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
NotleyQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

The smoker you decide on is kinda based on what do you want to do with it. You mentioned a WSM, 250 bucks would build you enough UDS's to cook for a neighborhood. They are pretty much set it and forget it and the Q is fantastic. I gotta warn ya, once you go drum you may not go back. LOL My offset is in the backyard looking like the old dog ya couldn't house break.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

w.s.m great cooker you could also build a couple of drums . for a lot less. not sure what a briscuits is. if you need any help with the u.d.s just keep posting. alot of help out there for that cooker
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
SmokinCoyote
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJack from KC View Post

Should I look at Banderas, Offsets, or just default to a WSM?
PS, my budget is $300.
It depends on what you want to do. Are you just wanting a nice little smoker for the backyard and that's all or are you wanting to eventually move up to maybe doing some local cookoffs. Do you want a set it and forget it smoker or do you want to have one to mess with. The first smoker I had was a little store bought offset. It was a great tool for learning fire control, draft, hot spots and cold spots, fun to play with by modifying different things to see what it will do witch will help you if you ever get a bigger one for cookoffs and such. You can learn alot with one of these. I am glad I had an offset as a first smoker just for the knowledge I got from it.

If you want a set it and forget type a WSM is wonderful for your price range. I cooked a ham on mine tonight. Dump briquets and some wood chunks in it and forget about it. If you have access to a drum the Ugly Drum Smoker seems to be a hot item here lately. I am in the process of trying to find a drum now just because "I just got to have one now".
It ain't real Q until that precise moment, while watching the sunrise through a wisp of sweet smelling blue smoke, that a tough brisket finally surrenders itself to the gentle heat of an all wood fire and becomes a tender, juicy, smokey masterpiece.
Wiley "SmokinCoyote" Mixon
Klose 20 X 60 mobile
UDS
WSM
Red Thermapen

SmokinCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
CrackerJack from KC
Full Fledged Farker

Default I'm too Lazy to build my own.

My issues with building a UDS is that I once built a Cyclone Dust Collector (for my other hobby woodworking), and althought it works great, I would not wish that level of effort on anyone.

I noticed that a lot of WSM owners built a UDS, so my next question is other than the price and the fact you made it yourself, what are the advantages of the performance of a UDS? and is there anyone that ever built a UDS that said they wouldn't do it again?
Traeger 070
Stoker
Worlds Fastest "Green" Thermapen

"Not a competition cook, just a guy who loves eating and cooking Q."

Last edited by CrackerJack from KC; 02-18-2010 at 02:02 PM..
CrackerJack from KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

If you followed the thread about the XXL UDS, I built that in less than a full day. A regular UDS just takes a few hours and minimal tools. Besides, If you decide to do one, I know an avid woodworker that would be willing to help out. :D

Old 01-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #8
Azinine
Take a breath!

WSMs are awesome. You won't regret the $200 spent.

"Yeah, but bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood" -Pulp Fiction

Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
Charbroil Silver Smoker w/ mods (never used anymore)
Azinine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 12:24 AM   #9
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

UDS do not take more than an afternoon and a half to build, a full day at the most. Not much effort at all. I actually spent more actual time locating a drum. Once I had the drum, it was done in a matter of hours (an hour every couple days, and a Saturday morning).

The reason I like it better than the WSM already is cooking space. You run out of room real quick on a WSM. I LOVE my 2 WSMs, dont get me wrong. I will cook on my WSMs at comps probably more than I will on my UDS, but I can get way more meat into my UDS than I can on WSMs 18.5 inch grills

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJack from KC View Post
My issues with building a UDS is that I once built a Cyclone Dust Collector (for my other hobby woodworking), and althought it works great, I would not wish that level of effort on anyone.

I noticed that a lot of WSM owners built a UDS, so my next question is other than the price and the fact you made it yourself, what are the advantages of the performance of a UDS? and is there anyone that ever built a UDS that said they wouldn't do it again?

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
NotleyQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 05:16 AM   #10
DaChief
Babbling Farker

I agree that a lot depend on how much you intend to cook at a time. I love my WSM but only cook for family and small parties. If you want to cook more at a time, then the UDS has more capacity. Both are pretty consistent with being able to walk away and not closely monitor

BGE Large
WSM
Weber One-Touch Gold
Weber Go-Anywhere
Turkey Fryer

"Go on! Shoot me again! I enjoy it! I love the smell of burnt feathers and gunpowder and cordite!"
-- Daffy Duck
DaChief is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 05:41 AM   #11
CritterCook
Full Fledged Farker

[quote=NotleyQue;538648]UDS do not take more than an afternoon and a half to build, a full day at the most. Not much effort at all. I actually spent more actual time locating a drum. Once I had the drum, it was done in a matter of hours (an hour every couple days, and a Saturday morning).

I agree. It took me a friday night to put mine together. I have five different smokers to cook on and I use the UDS by far the most. Don't know if I'll use it for comps or not, but for home use it can't get any simpler.

"Bessie" and "Arnold" the UDS's
22.5 Weber
Cookshack FE150
Char-Broil performance series-gas

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
CritterCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 05:48 AM   #12
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

If you just want to buy a smoker and use it, the WSM is the way to go. If you want to make something yourself, I would say the UDS is the way to go. Again it depends on what you are trying to do as well, backyard or comp or both. You will not regret buying a WSM no matter which way you decide.
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #13
Nitrofly
is one Smokin' Farker

Smile WSM is BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!

I wish my first smoker was a WSM
you will have a ball. be carefull.
BBQ is very habit forming.
have fun.
BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!
2 WSM more of a good thing
Brinkman offset
Backwoods competitor
Weber Performer
22' weber kettle w/rottiserie
17" table top weber kettle & weber smokey joe.
Nitrofly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

I would also say WSM is the way to go. ready to rock and roll right out of the box.

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 08:22 AM   #15
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Cooker

Get the WSM first and then if you feel like building a UDS go for it but you can start cooking as soon as you get the WSM home...
Markbb is offline   Reply With Quote