The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #61
BobBrisket

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Wow, I need to score me a drum. I got the itch to put my grinder and stick welder to work.
So all you use for intake on these bad boys is ball valves? If I was able to score some Weber type lid vents, do you think I could put a couple of them on the bottom and top of the drum and then put legs on it to lift it up off the ground and allow for air flow to those bottom vents that they would work?
I think I can also raid my FIL's scrap heap for the expanded metal too.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #62
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Bob asked: So all you use for intake on these bad boys is ball valves?

I have a different method. Click here and go download my PowerPoint presentation: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ight=stainless

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #63
BobBrisket

I found a place that sells new and used drums. New-$45 and used $27.50. It's 'bout an hours drive, so factor in fuel and it will be cheaper for me to scrounge one up locally. I have my ways!!
I will be checking out that tutorial!!
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2007, 09:30 AM   #64
sksmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

I used ball valves because it was easy to find here. You can just drill holes and put magnets on top to control the air, or use black pipe with caps screwed on, etc. You can really use almost anything to let air in, as long as you can control it.
sksmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-31-2007, 10:33 AM   #65
turf
Found some matches.

I just spoke with the Line-X dealer in Des Moines, they said the White barrels should be ok to use as smokers, but they wouldn't use the yellow barrels since they contained a harsh chemical. the white barrels have a removable lid with a ring. So they would be perfect. I asked what they charge for them, they said to just come pick them up in the back. So I may grab one or ten.
turf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #66
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

great looking project. How easy are they to use. Are they easy to get meat out of and how many shelves do you install in the drum
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2008, 01:17 AM   #67
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
I just spoke with the Line-X dealer in Des Moines, they said the White barrels should be ok to use as smokers, but they wouldn't use the yellow barrels since they contained a harsh chemical. the white barrels have a removable lid with a ring. So they would be perfect. I asked what they charge for them, they said to just come pick them up in the back. So I may grab one or ten.
I got mine from Line-x. Works great.

B
UDS
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote