The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Default First time with the "nectar of gods"

ok.... now this is a really weird one.. not as weird as trying organs and such. Still a little weird.

Purchased a half cow.. and I was asked if I wanted bone cut for bone marrow.. I have never ate it before. Always heard its something you should try at least once.. At that point I was excited and I replied with a instant "YES!" Anything named "nectar of the gods" has a lot of promise.

Well sorry this isn't Q.. its snowing/raining.. Was gonna attempt this on the grill.. But I seasoned the bones with a dash of salt & pepper.. and gave it a good dose of garlic.

Roasted in the oven at 450 degree's for 15 minutes.. From researching was told if the marrow is nice and soft its ready..

MAAAAN!!!...... It is some damn good stuff! I spread it on town house crackers and rosmary and oil triscuits... Next time I will make a baguette.

When looking at it after digging it out of the bone it reminds me of the fat from a good cooked ribeye. Simliar texture anyways... I was just a little strange at first digging it out of the bones by the time it was all over I was in heaven!!

I have a bunch of these... I am all open for suggestions on ways to cook and prepare this!! Would like to know other ways to prepare it!

Old 03-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

came here for a Guinness Stout recipe..... :P

WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonz50 View Post
Like i said anything labeled "Nectar of gods" must be goood!

Old 03-07-2018, 04:15 PM   #4
smokin'hoogie
On the road to being a farker

I believe its referred to as "Butter of the Gods" to be exact. You can put garlic, olive oil shallot and chopped herds on it to step it up a notch. when at the butchers ask them to cut a thin layer out of the bottom so they can sit flat on the roasting pan and not roll or spill.
smokin'hoogie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I've been known to drag a piece of toast all over the baking sheet the marrow was roasting on.
Masterbuilt ThermoTemp
Weber Q2200
Tejas Smokers Triple Burner Hot Plate
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Blackstone 17" Griddle
Czarbecue is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'hoogie View Post
I believe its referred to as "Butter of the Gods" to be exact. You can put garlic, olive oil shallot and chopped herds on it to step it up a notch. when at the butchers ask them to cut a thin layer out of the bottom so they can sit flat on the roasting pan and not roll or spill.
Well..... I looked into it.. I have heard it described as butter of the gods and nectar of the gods.. haha... I just liked nectar better! Doesn't matter I guess.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #7
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
I've been known to drag a piece of toast all over the baking sheet the marrow was roasting on.
LOL..... I stood there with my crackers for a few minutes!! I will be making home made baguettes to go with the other bones!

Old 03-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
blake
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonz50 View Post
I was thinking mead

Old 03-07-2018, 10:34 PM   #9
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
I was thinking mead
also a worthy nectar.

still have a carboy full of a cider mead in the basement, about 6yrs old. its like port wine now, amazing!!

WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2018, 10:55 PM   #10
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

They are killer blaze. Beef butter.

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K), WGA(P) WJJ(CU)
Hunsaker Drum
Pit Barrel Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE" Member
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2018, 10:58 PM   #11
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Whatever you want to call it I want some.

UDS now resurrected, Square Chicken Cooker, Green 22" Kettle, Stok Tower Grill & Barrel Grill, Stealth WSM 18", Char Broil Kamander
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #12
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
They are killer blaze. Beef butter.

Sako, Did you make the bread your self? I want a recipe on bread like that! Care to share if you made it yourself?

Old 03-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #13
aerotech11
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ric

I first tried marrow in South Korea. It was served on the side of the steak I ordered. At first didn’t know what it was. I asked the server and he said it was bone marrow. At first I was a bit grossed out and wouldn’t try it. I was finally talked into trying it about 2/3rds into my steak. I tried a small amount on a spoon and it was pretty good. Tried a bit on the next bite os steak and I was hooked. By the end of the meal I was eating everyone else’s by the spoonful. Truly butter of the gods.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #14
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotech11 View Post
I first tried marrow in South Korea. It was served on the side of the steak I ordered. At first didn’t know what it was. I asked the server and he said it was bone marrow. At first I was a bit grossed out and wouldn’t try it. I was finally talked into trying it about 2/3rds into my steak. I tried a small amount on a spoon and it was pretty good. Tried a bit on the next bite os steak and I was hooked. By the end of the meal I was eating everyone else’s by the spoonful. Truly butter of the gods.
This was my exact reaction to it last night! I can't wait to try it again.. Good news is there's plenty of it :D

Old 03-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #15
guero_gordo
Take a breath!

I believe it's Bourdain's "death row meal" of choice.

Might pour one of these to go with it:

https://www.humboldtbrewingco.com/re...ied=c63de8c9f3