MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #31
Nuco59
is One Chatty Farker

Having a lower door on a UDS or not falls into 2 camps

One group points out that "it is not really needed" and will lay out logical reasons to support that view.

The other groups says "I want one whether I need it or not - neener neener- so there!"

I'm in the "it's not really needed" group but also a card carrying member of the "It's your drum- do your thing" group.

Share pictures of your progress, if you don't mind.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:49 PM   #32
Zed
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Zed

Anyone ever use one of these for a charcoal basket?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bayou-Cl...FUWVAQod0ugAAA

Old 03-07-2018, 05:57 AM   #33
effinUker
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim, Moon

Find an old steel milk crate for a charcoal basket.
effinUker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #34
brochip1
Knows what a fatty is.

Those perforated baskets work well for your charcoal. It's what I have in mine (I got it for $7 on clearance at Academy). The only problem you'll have is that the bottoms tend to burn out rather quickly. For the price, you could probably buy expanded metal and make your own for less.
brochip1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #35
Zed
Got Wood.

Guys I have a old aluminum pressure cooker about 30 qts or so. It's thick walled and Id like to use it as my charcoal basket. Any reason I could drill holes and use it?

Old 03-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #36
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

You could use that,or just buy a steel bucket for 5 bucks, burn it out and make a few holes

Something like this

https://youtu.be/GFrLXqZs6ew

Old 03-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #37
Nuco59
is One Chatty Farker

You can make a basket out of anything that will hold coals and will survive the heat. But like building anything, you will find that some materials are better suited than others. I'd avoid aluminum or galvanized steel. If you are good at scrounging, the bottom foot of a 30 gallon or 16 gallon drum with a piece of xpando to hold your coal would make a dandy charcoal basket.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #38
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Like anything, you can build it cheap and it will work great. But there is always a point where too cheap of materials means you will have to keep building it. but I do want to see how budget you can get. I take pride in being thrifty and because of that I've learned a lot about rebuilding or fixing something over and over when spending a little more the first time would have done the job. Sometimes buy once, cry once makes sense. Good luck and post pics!
DRMSMKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-07-2018, 06:47 PM   #39
Toast
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

I'm not a UDS guy but just want to ask from a safety point, What was reclaimed into the barrel and how are you going to prep it to handle food?

Not trying to be Debbie Downer, just heard other folks on the forum discuess this in the past.

Good Luck with the build!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
GrillEye Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2018, 05:54 AM   #40
Zed
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
I'm not a UDS guy but just want to ask from a safety point, What was reclaimed into the barrel and how are you going to prep it to handle food?

Not trying to be Debbie Downer, just heard other folks on the forum discuess this in the past.

Good Luck with the build!
Great question, the drum as far as I know based off where I got it was a recovery drum for a fragrance used to make soap. The inside appears to be bare metal. I have no idea if it was used for other liquids before so I will assume it was and proceed accordingly. I plan on first rinsing it and washing it out. While doing so I will inspect further for a clear liner out clear coat. Then if it passes that step I'll burn the barrel until I feel it's good to go. If I missed any steps any please speak up.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #41
Zed
Got Wood.

Ok I found an old post on here (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...t=76639&page=3) that had a grill grate that I think will work for my big fat recovery drum. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I paid nothing for it because I had Amazon reward points to cover it.

I also found another drum, this time a 55 food grade from a guy locally that I will pick up Saturday for 20 bucks. Im going to build 2 just because I can. Maybe start the Big Bertha and later on build out the 55. I had an idea to do a 2 story UDS with the bottom drum having a door and pretty much being the fire box. Then the top drum with racks and and maybe some polls for hanging. Any one ever seen this before?

Old 03-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #42
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fitz

[QUOTE=Zed;3962790]You have any photos of the grates? Im trying to get an idea of how to make them sturdy out of expanded steel.
4dueces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #43
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

I do, but I can't figure out how to attach it.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #44
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

[IMG]i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae265/4dueces/IMAG0097.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #45
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

Here ya go.........