MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #16
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

getting everything sealed up, still have to attach firebox, probably tomorrow sometime since I work from home on Thursdays. probably let it sit a day for the RTV to cure then fire up a big charcoal fire and let it cook off all the crap on the inside. wife is really excited!!!

WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2018, 10:41 PM   #17
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

well, oldest son finished homework so he helped me get the firebox attached. all the seams have been loaded up with RTV, doors sealed with lavalock tape. kinda wish it was a bit thicker steel, but it wasn't a $2000 smoker so I'm still pleased with the quality of it for the price. should be a nice temporary addition to the arsenal.

FTR - now that this is here and we got to fire up the blackstone the other day, wife says we need a legit fryer now and I'v ebeen loosely mentioning a santa maria grill for her as well. might have to get a custom rig with 'all of the above' on the trailer. fryers, a slot for the 36" blackstone, santa maria and a 60-ish inch cabinet style smoker. I'm sure Paul and Tyler could hook me up with the rig I need. :D

Old 03-07-2018, 10:44 PM   #18
KORND4WG X
is One Chatty Farker

Sweet! Post up some pics
KORND4WG X is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2018, 10:48 PM   #19
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

i'll have some tomorrow when I burn it in

Old 03-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #20
500lbman
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Todd

I have a Highland. To get even temps you'll have to make your own baffles. I just took the extra grates the Highland came with and double wrapped them in foil and placed them under the cooking grates to deflect the heat. I can get temps within 10 degrees from the middle to the stack side, but the fire side is still pretty hot. Still, plenty of room to smoke a big brisket or three big racks of ribs.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #21
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

have a weight on the handle to set in the gasket material, bed of royal oak lump and a couple splits at the moment, couple more splits ready to go, gonna burn it in for a few hours before I head to my sons track meet this eve

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-08-2018, 01:53 PM   #22
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

running it wide open on a windy day, temp has crept up to 450*, reckon i oughta close the vent down a bit, that should cook off most of the crap in pretty quick fashion, probably run off another couple splits before I shut 'er down for the eve.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:01 AM   #23
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

got the latches installed yesterday. Baffle plate will be delivered today. Think I'm gonna do a couple of butts this weekend, we'll see what the weather is going to do first.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 AM   #24
fwdiii
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fritz

Looking real good....you will be very surprised at how well the OK Joe produces que!!
fwdiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2018, 07:18 AM   #25
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

for a cheap smoker its not bad quality wise. seems like a solid bang for the buck. after mods I'll have about $550 in it total. probably buy the cover for it late this summer or early fall.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #26
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

heard back from wifey, she is suggesting we do two whole chickens, I'll spatchcock them and throw 'em on. have never done chicken before, should I go low and slow or fast n hot??

Old 03-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #27
bschoen
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

I did two spatchcock chickens a while back, low and slow; very juicy. BUT, I did brine them for eight hours and then overnight 'fridge dry. Did them at 225-250 F for whatever it took to get them to temp.

Don't remember when I developed the mindset that poultry needs brining prior to smoking, but it was a long time ago. I need to try one unbrined, test my assumptions...

Did them on the same smoker you have btw.
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #28
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

bafflenow installed, ready to smoke!!!!

Old 03-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #29
PnkPanther
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonz50 View Post
heard back from wifey, she is suggesting we do two whole chickens, I'll spatchcock them and throw 'em on. have never done chicken before, should I go low and slow or fast n hot??

Skin will be rubbery at low and slow, fat wont really render, need to be at at least 325 IMO.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #30
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnkPanther View Post
Skin will be rubbery at low and slow, fat wont really render, need to be at at least 325 IMO.
so more like roasted chicken in the smoker??