The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #16
tbonez
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I realize my opinion won't be popular but I'm not a fan of KC BBQ. The company I work for has a major office in KC and I've eaten BBQ hundreds of times in KC.

I don't like any of the famous BBQ joints and to be honest I've stopped eating BBQ in KC. I've found much better BBQ in Texas, South Carolina, Florida and Georgia. The quality of meat, attention to detail and innovation are a good decade behind many of the other newer and more innovate BBQ joints in the nation (in my opinion). When I think of BBQ in KC I think 1970 instead of 2018.

When I go to KC I do hit Jack Stack for the wings. They are the best smoked wings in the nation (in my opinion)...again I realiz KC is a "Mecca" of BBQ and my opinion probably won't be recieved well but that's just my feeling. I would 100 times rather visit Austin.
tbonez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #17
sudsandswine
is One Chatty Farker

Nobody in Kansas City goes to the "famous" places like Arthur Bryant's or Gate's. You just aren't going to the right places. Nobody that likes barbecue could eat at Q39 and say "nah, this is not good food". AB's and Gate's most definitely are "old school KC style barbecue" but just about every other Q joint in town has moved on.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #18
tbonez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Nobody in Kansas City goes to the "famous" places like Arthur Bryant's or Gate's. You just aren't going to the right places. Nobody that likes barbecue could eat at Q39 and say "nah, this is not good food".
Please shoot me the name of some good joints and I will try them. I'm in KC multiple times of the year and the guys in the office seem to pride themselves on taking me to the joints I've listed...I don't even know how to politely decline at this point because I don't won't to offend.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #19
sudsandswine
is One Chatty Farker

They're listed in this thread already
Old 02-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #20
tbonez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
They're listed in this thread already

OOPs ...will find the names and check them out
Old 02-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #21
kfdvm
Knows what a fatty is.

The original Arther Bryant is good. I always pick
Up a case of Gates BBQ sauce when I’m in
KC
kfdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:58 AM   #22
Lomey
Full Fledged Farker

My favorites are The Woodyard and the original Joe's Kansas City. I wouldn't bother going to the other Joe's around town, they aren't as good as the original imho. I've heard great things about Q39, but haven't made it there yet. Jack Stack is good, but more of a nice restaurant feel than a bbq joint. I'm not a fan of A Bryant's or Gate's

Skip the Power and Light district. Young crowd and nothing special to eat or drink there. I've never felt unsafe downtown.

The Plaza is upscale, but has great restaurants and has beautiful buildings. I recommend going there one night.

Do the Boulevard Brewery tour. It's free, but you need to reserve your tickets online asap. It will fill up fast, especially in the summer.

As far as a bbq comp, I'm not really a fan of going unless you know someone competing. The only time I have gone without knowing someone is when I was researching smokers and it was great to talk to people about their smokers. People are usually friendly, especially if you go on a Friday night.

I personally like Stroud's, but don't eat a lot of fried chicken. It's worth going though. You get a ton of food.

If you want something besides bbq for a meal, there is a great little taco place called Taco Republic across the street from the original Joe's Kansas City. It has a great outdoor patio to have a few beers and the food is really good.

We love living in Kansas City. Nice size with plenty to do, but very easy to get around. If you are a baseball fan I would recommend going to a Royals game if they are in town. The stadium is one of the most beautiful in baseball. June in Kansas City is awesome. Not too hot and humid yet. Enjoy your stay!
Lomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-26-2018, 06:15 AM   #23
Gary Tomato
Take a breath!

Here's a short but informative blog post, 3 Days in Kansas City.
Gary Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #24
RemoGaggi
On the road to being a farker

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions! In addtion to Winsteads, are there any other Burger Joints to try out?
Old 02-26-2018, 07:57 PM   #25
sudsandswine
is One Chatty Farker

Grandstand burgers in Merriam, 10 to 15 min drive from everywhere else you will be. Very little room to sit inside but it should be nice outside where they have picnic tables.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #26
Saucy
Got Wood.

My favorite was LC’s ten years ago when I lived there.
Saucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:16 PM   #27
JEStucker
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Town Topic (Burgers) on Broadway... sort of an old stand by for classic '50s style, really is a tiny hole in the wall to.
There's a website called KCFoodGuys that does a poll every year of BBQ places in Kansas City around the same time as the Basketball playoffs start (so the 2018 Poll should be up in a week or so) and they do elimination rounds based on reader votes.
If you're here on a Friday or Saturday night, BB's Lawnside is great, just for the atmosphere (BBQ is average to good) I'm fond of Big T's on Blue Ridge Blvd.
Woodyard, Bryants, and Gates all have a fun history that ties them together as the founders of KC BBQ, but I can't find the article. Basic jist, they all supplied products to each other to keep one another in business at times.

I live here! 10 minutes east in Independence actually, so if you need information feel free to hit me up here, and I can get you contact info for me if needed!
JEStucker is offline   Reply With Quote