The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #16
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimSS View Post
Is that the same Reflectix the OP posted? Looks much stiffer.
Pretty sure it's the same one, but just in a larger roll.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review HERE. WSM Mods HERE. My Brisket Guide HERE.
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 06:53 PM   #17
MeatyOakerSmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Pretty sure it's the same one, but just in a larger roll.
Good stuff. Thanks for the tip. And great looking rib roast on the throwdown. Good luck.
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
La Caja China
COS - Oklahoma Joe Highlander
Lang 48 Patio
Formerly known as IbrahimSS
MeatyOakerSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2018, 09:30 PM   #18
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2 View Post
I cooked all day on New Year's Eve. It was 7* F with wind chills below zero. Using a 15+ year old WSM, no insulation, no wind shield. Lit the WSM a little after noon, food on at 1:15pm, food off at 7pm, at which time it was still humming around 285*. A little after midnight I went outside to put it in the shed but there was still lit lump burning in it.

Amazing. My guess is a UDS can perform similarly.
YES.
A cook I did today on a uds :

26 degrees outside temp,
Cooking UNCOVERED the whole time, ie no lid on the uds. The meat was 24" above the coals. One full chimney of lump and a large chunk of wood, Max temp 350 degrees. Later added another full chimney and another wood chunk and got Max temps of 500 degrees. Uncovered.

So I'm gonna say uds or wsm do not need insulation
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #19
pharp
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't get some extreme temps like some of you guys but have used my UDS with no insulation in 10F or so temps and did not notice any difference in performance. I don't really ever cook anything over 6 hours but I was not low on fuel at the end of my coldest cook.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-03-2018, 04:18 AM   #20
ebijack
is Blowin Smoke!

Folded welding blanket, riveted on. Side by side, I never saw any gain/less fuel or less/more air required. IMHO Not worth the effort.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:56 AM   #21
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think it was 6* sub zero wind chills. PBC (old style and old now therefore qualifies as almost UDS imho). Ran just like it always does. No coat. Total cook time about 6.5-7 hours. Was still red coals at 9 hours. Think high temp at End was 20*??

Last edited by 16Adams; 01-17-2018 at 06:35 AM..
16Adams is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #22
Steve S
Full Fledged Farker

I've never worried about covering a UDS or WSM in cold weather. The marginal difference in fuel consumption isnt worth the hassle.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #23
funugy
Take a breath!

The only time I have needed an insulator is due to wind. I run a diffuser plate and have a thin barrel. A couple Thanksgivings ago I had a hell of a time getting my UDS above 300*. I went as far a pouring out the charcoal basket and starting with a fresh basket of coal, thinking the old coals got wet possibly. I fought with it for a while before I realized it was the fact that it was in the 20's and wind was 20-25 knots. Luckily I have several old wool blankets from my military days. I folded one in half and wrapped the barrel. Ran tape around it a few times.

The temps came right up and held at my target of 325*. I kept the blanket on there the rest of the winter, just out of laziness, without a problem. In the summer when I peeled the blanket off it was charred and brittle.

So, in my opinion, if the wind is up and outside temp is low, you will need some type of wind block. Not necessarily an insulator.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 01:49 PM   #24
ebijack
is Blowin Smoke!

With enough intake and exhaust. I am able to hit over 700* in single digits no problem. No blanket.