MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > OakRidge BBQ

Notices

Old 11-26-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Thank You Oakridge

I want to give a special Thank You to Brethren Mike from Oakridge BBQ.

It seems that every time Oakridge does something amazing, they always seem to find another way soar to a higher level on their own accord, time after time. Kudos to Mike and his staff for another job well done.

On occasion I am requested by the Culinary Arts Teachers at our local high school, to come in as a guest, and to teach the classes on specific topics that they feel I have a strong background in. During the school year I give many classes on curing meats; Bacon, hams, corned beef, sausage, canadian bacon, as well as cold and hot smoking. I do this completely as a volunteer, I work with my own products (which I donate), and I use my own tools because I am fully comfortable with them. They simply order the meat I pick from the restaurant supplier. Also with this, several times a year I am asked to cook for special occasions when they showcase the culinary arts program to potential new students and staff.

I was recently contacted and asked to give a lesson on salt to six different classes; explaining the different types salts (including specialty salts) and how to utilize them properly in cooking. I figured salt could be a boring topic so I wanted to transition the lesson from salt and move into brining and brining techniques. Brining uses salt and it really goes hand in hand with using salt as a flavor enhancer. Brining will also set the stage and cover the basics that I will present in future classes on how to cure meats. This is sort of a preparation class and then reinforcement in teaching in many future classes.

As I laid out my lesson plan, I bought a variety of specialty salts to give to the classes; Sel gris, Fleur de Sel, Malden salt flakes, Murray River salt, Hawaiian red alae salt, and several artisian salts, gourmet flavored salts, and some finishing salts. I also made two types of smoked salt for them to try. I also planned on leaving them with the remaining sample of my Oakridge Smokey Chili Lime finishing salt. This wide variety of salts would give them a lot of different salts to experiment with as they cook.

My plan also included the use Oakridge Game Changer Brine as an example of a great commercial brine/injection, but I was concerned about cross-contamination between different classrooms using the package with Poultry and Pork. Game Changer's smallest package is 1.1 pounds and I didn't want to travel from one classroom to another classroom with it, and I didn't want to have to purchase 6 large packages. I contacted Mike from Oakridge and asked if there was anyway he could possibly package these in smaller bags for me and I even offered to pay any service fees associated with it. Mike simply said, "sure, I'll take care of it for you."

My package arrived and Oakridge had supplied each separate class with their own large 1.1 lb bag of Game Changer Brine, to alleviate any concerns of cross contamination. Once again, Mike has found another way soar his company to a higher level.

To Mike and Your Staff, Thank You for your kindness, thoughtfulness, and for helping to further the education of what could be tomorrows pioneers and leaders in the culinary field.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 11-26-2017 at 06:21 PM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 11-26-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks, Bob. Hope you have a great time teaching the future chefs and pitmasters!

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
22˝" WSM
26˝" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 11-27-2017, 12:56 AM   #3
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

NICE! Just placed my order.
Imperial Kamado #3
Numerous Weber Kettles, daisies and one touches
Seville Cart by Woodard for my pre-79 Kettle
Indoors cooking hearth with crane
Large heavy duty open grill for dutch ovens, etc.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-03-2017, 05:25 AM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

The final result
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...64#post3910964
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker