The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
pdiller81173
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Exclamation Help with Duck and Goose!

Hello all,

Helped a friend who owns a farm butcher some geese and ducks last weekend. Ended up bringing home a duck and goose to try to smoke. Not sure how to attack them as never cooked one before. Thoughts?

Brine?
Inject?
Rub?
Wood to use?
Temp?
Anything else?

THANKS!
pdiller81173 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
NY Pork Junkie
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiller81173 View Post
Hello all,

Helped a friend who owns a farm butcher some geese and ducks last weekend. Ended up bringing home a duck and goose to try to smoke. Not sure how to attack them as never cooked one before. Thoughts?

Brine?
Inject?
Rub?
Wood to use?
Temp?
Anything else?

THANKS!
Thanks for asking the question, I'll be following the thread closely. I was given a few ducks a while back, and they've been sitting in my freezer ever since. I'm not quite sure how to approach them properly either!
NY Pork Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #3
ModelMaker
is Blowin Smoke!

Since moving to the lake I have an unlimited supply of Canadians at arms length and more than once have considered making a boy scout box trap and poaching one of the noisy, messy bastards and throw it on the Weber.
Pretty sure you'll want higher heat than smoking, I would think hot and fast with some wood for flavor.
Pictures of your cook would be fantastic.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
patrickd26

I'm an avid waterfowl hunter here in Nebraska. ModelMaker is spot on. I typically breast them out and treat them like steaks. I've found that grilling them to a medium rare (slightly pink) yields the same results as a great filet. For the duck breasts, I normally wrap in bacon and skewer because they are smaller.

Since these are farm raised, maybe you can get away with smoking it. But, for wild birds the breasts are about the only thing I care to eat. Good luck and do let us know how it goes!
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #5
sniperfx
Full Fledged Farker

High heat like 300 degrees will get you these results. Internal temp of 140 degrees for the duck. No brine or inject. Little olive oil and light rub will yield some tasty fowl! Also use a fruitwood. Apple, Cherry etc..Hope this helps brother...Just keep higher temp in smoker and you will be fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2391.jpg (37.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2405.jpg (45.5 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by sniperfx; 10-07-2017 at 09:55 AM..
sniperfx is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
NY Pork Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfx View Post
High heat like 300 degrees will get you these results. Internal temp of 140 degrees for the duck. No brine or inject. Little olive oil and light rub will yield some tasty fowl! Also use a fruitwood. Apple, Cherry etc..Hope this helps brother...Just keep higher temp in smoker and you will be fine.
That looks phenomenal! I'll have to get one of my ducks out of the freezer and give that a go in the PBC.
NY Pork Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #7
pdiller81173
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thank you brethren for the input. It is going to be a couple weeks before I get a chance to cook them but will update everyone when I do.
pdiller81173 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
cats49er
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Stacy Robertson

I have soaked them in orange juice over night then roast.Be careful not to over cook,they get tough.

Thanks from: --->

Tags
Duck, goose