The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave
Default Little help, small butt time & temp

Hey all, been a while but I'm slowly getting back into doing a little cookin.

I have a 4 pound boneless pork butt to throw in the Green Mountain Davey Crockett pellet smoker (for those not familiar, it has a pretty accurate temp control system). I'm thinking about something like 250*-275*.

Any suggestion on temp and time?

Old 10-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #2
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I hate the little butts. They always seem to take longer than you'd expect. I did a 3lb butt at 350 once and it took 4 hours.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Shirley 24x55 Straight Back Cabinet 4 Racks
T&K Smokers GF /Abe's 48" Entertainer / 22.5 OTG
28" BS / Custom 20x52 vertical / Jimmy with CB Roti
Red Box Smoker on custom cart

2018 Texas Fall Bash - Oct. 27th 2018 https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...19#post3972819
2018 Texas Fall Bash Sign Up https://goo.gl/L6rTyE
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
Joshw
is One Chatty Farker

Personally I like 225 but I wouldn't go over 250. I like my butts low and slow though.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
pdiller81173
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Boneless is always tougher for me to gauge timing on. Not that it should matter, but I seem to overcook them if I try to go higher temp. I'd stick between 225 and 230.
pdiller81173 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2017, 08:07 PM   #5
NY Pork Junkie
On the road to being a farker

The truly great thing about Boston butts is that they are damn near impossible to screw up. I bought 2 6lb butts this afternoon and cut them into four 3lb butts to increase the rub surface/bark surface area. I put them on my PBC at 4:30, and they're all now hitting around 200 degrees.

I gave my maverick thermoprobe setup to my Dad last weekend, so I have no way of monitoring temps apart from an instant read, but I'm not worried in the least. Here's how they looked at 165:

I think they're gonna be pretty damn good in about 30 mins
NY Pork Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2017, 05:53 AM   #6
dwfisk

Thanks all. I think I'll set up for 225* and allow 6 hours, can always bump the temp up if it looks like the need it.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:13 AM   #7
Cook
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Jay

Honestly, I wouldn't change your original plan. I absolutely detest cooking at 225 (I don't know who ever made that number popular), but it is certainly an acceptable number. I'm a fan of your original temperature range (and higher). Allot yourself 6 hours...and be prepared for less.

You don't have to worry about over cooking because of your pit temperature. Over cooking only happens when you don't pay attention to what you're doing.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #8
CraigC
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Thanks all. I think I'll set up for 225* and allow 6 hours, can always bump the temp up if it looks like the need it.
What are you shooting for, sliced or pulled? I've always had success by instant read thermometer, around 190F for sliced and 198F-205F for pulled. Doesn't this type of smoker have an internal temp probe?

Old 10-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #9
dwfisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
What are you shooting for, sliced or pulled? I've always had success by instant read thermometer, around 190F for sliced and 198F-205F for pulled. Doesn't this type of smoker have an internal temp probe?
Yep, the GMG-DC has a pretty nice temp controller with a meat probe that I've found to be as accurate as any of my other probes/thermometers. I'll be aiming for 190*, maybe a little more. I actually like a rought chop, something like 1/2x1/2 chunks.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #10
patrickd26
On the road to being a farker

All of the above sounds great. I agree about the detestable 225 comment. I like to run at a minimum of 235 but never more than 275. 250 is a sweet spot. Since it is so small, it's going to be a little less forgiving with the juice. So, after it hits 150 or 4 hours, wrap in foil. I would even drizzle in some broth or apple juice. Finally, start probing for doneness around 198'ish and allow for carryover.

Good luck!
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote