MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Ironside Smokers

Notices

Ironside Smokers We make insulated cabinet smokers designed to run on straight wood or charcoal. Our smokers provide you with the flavor of a stick burner and the convenience of an insulated cabinet. We are located in Wisconsin, however we can ship nationwide.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
Peteg
Full Fledged Farker

Default The Live Fire Difference and how we got here

How do you make the jump from set it and forget it coal burning to managing a live fire? For many (myself included) it starts with a drum and gets fancier from there. When I decided I wanted to jump into stick burning I got myself an off-set and started the fine craft of fire management. Even though it took a lot of trial and error I fell in love with the flavor of stick burning and try as I might I could not duplicate the flavor in my drum. The problem I had was that staying up all night throwing logs on was a bit of a challenge and very tiring, and it took a whole lot of charcoal to keep my big off-set hot all night. My drum certainly couldn’t handle the heat of a live fire for very long either. So there I was constantly trying to decide what I wanted more, superior flavor or sleep. Not to mention the capacity of my drum often fell short of what I was cooking on the off-set making using two different cookers a logistical nightmare.

This challenge is what drove me to create Ironside Smokers. I wanted live fire cooking in something that could easily switch to coal for overnight after everything was wrapped. I also wanted a small footprint and capacity to match my off-set. I truly believe that our Slugger model fills this need. I’ve really enjoyed the flavor I get from stick burning in it and I love the ability to burn coal overnight. The frame design and thick American steel ensure that this unit can handle the high heat and fire it takes to produce that flavor. Side by side comparisons with my stick burner have been so close it’s hard to tell a difference, and I love that, our customers love that! Some people may get one of our units only wanting to burn charcoal and that is great, but when they are ready to make the jump they’ll be able to and THAT is awesome! Over the next year you’ll see new products form Ironside Smokers, we’re going to push what’s possible and solve similar challenges along the way. I assure you the same thought is going into anything we put our name on. Thanks for reading

Please join the conversation here or at ironsidesmokers.com

Smoke Syndicate
BBQ team
Insulated vertical smoker
34" x 72" Custom Build "Slag"
Peteg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #2
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

Good luck. Innovation can be a fine thing!

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
Peteg
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Ed!

Smoke Syndicate
BBQ team
Old 01-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
McSpazatron
Take a breath!

Been away from the forum for a bit... so I just noticed this. Congrats Pete! You've got a mighty fine operation there with some good looking smokers!

Saw one of the vids mentioning The Slugger can hold about 30lb of charcoal. How long would you say you can get out of a 20lb bag if you're holding 250ish?
Old 01-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #5
Smokiemon
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Awesome !

Looks like a pretty bada** smoker !

— William Shakespeare

LSG Insulated Cabinet
Webber Summit Gasser
WSM 18.5
Webber Kettle 22.5
Thermapen [COLOR="red"]Red[/COLOR]
BOOGAC
Smokiemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
Hotch
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hotch

I changed over to stick burning to drink more beer...

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Planning Post! (Link)
Hotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

Wish I knew about these 6 months ago :(

Anyway some videos of cooks done that way (starting with sticks and finishing with coal) would help immensely. Just a thought.

Man this seems to maybe be an answer for the SDG trailer....

Have any demo CDR models sitting around the shop? :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Molon Labe!
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:05 AM   #8
Peteg
Full Fledged Farker

Hey guys thanks for the kind words! coal is roughly an hour per lb, varies on the normal factors (amount of meat, outside temp, etc..)
We'll post more videos as we get time. As it is Jeff and I have been pretty darn busy building and shipping smokers. Whenever I watch one of our videos, I can't help but think that they just don't do the current smoker justice. We've added lots of new features, and improved the overall quality since filming the first videos. Planning to make some more videos this spring. Thanks again guys!
Pete

Smoke Syndicate
BBQ team
Old 01-31-2018, 11:41 PM   #9
McSpazatron
Take a breath!

Great to hear you're busy, really excited for you guys!

May you stay as busy as you want to stay :)
Old 02-01-2018, 07:00 AM   #10
Peteg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpazatron View Post
Great to hear you're busy, really excited for you guys!

May you stay as busy as you want to stay :)
Thanks Mcspaz!

Smoke Syndicate
BBQ team