Weeping ribs...Real or internet hoax?

kennyd0118

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Making ribs today. I usually smoke, foil, unfoil and sauce.
I'd love to make weeping ribs but every time I've tried it doesn't work. (no foil of course). Is it because I use a rub based on brown sugar? Smoker is a BGE set to 250-275 F.
Any help out there?
Thanks,
-Kenny

I've had it happen while cooking on a kettle and I never wrap. A lot of sugar in the rub could hide it, I guess. It's just the juices bubbling up from the meat. It disappears while the meat is resting or cooling down.
There are many people cooking ribs on Eggs without needing to wrap. Maybe one of them can be more specific.

There's definitely nothing magical or mythical about "weeping" It's only the rendering of the fat. Every single time I rotisserie my ribs this is what I see. There's no magic temp or technique involved.

I've had it happen while cooking on a kettle and I never wrap. A lot of sugar in the rub could hide it, I guess. It's just the juices bubbling up from the meat. It disappears while the meat is resting or cooling down.
There are many people cooking ribs on Eggs without needing to wrap. Maybe one of them can be more specific.

My rub is 50/50 spice mix and brown sugar.

My rub is 50/50 spice mix and brown sugar.
I really doesn't have anything to do with rubs or even temps. Like i said it happens every single time for me but some ribs will do it more than others. Every rib is it's own animal .... so to speak. lol

Now if you're cooking hot and have a higher sugar rub the dark bark could maybe obscure it.

Every cook, the ribs will weep, unless I wrap them. If I am cooking in racks, my preferred method, it can be missed. Doesn't matter what temperature or rub you use. When the ribs render fat and liquid, they weep

Every cook, the ribs will weep, unless I wrap them. If I am cooking in racks, my preferred method, it can be missed. Doesn't matter what temperature or rub you use. When the ribs render fat and liquid, they weep

This is my thought. I always cook on racks so they are standing up. I can fit more that way. I guess I need to buy an extra large egg or even better, a Primo if I can find one.:heh:

Back