MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #121
billbird02
On the road to being a farker

@SmittyJonz - great timing on the bump. I have been thinking about upgrading from my 22.5 kettle, and wrestling with the decision between an offset or cabinet style smoker. Thinking offset and was actually on my way to Costco yesterday to pickup the Bayou Classic @BabyBack Manic reviewed a few weeks ago, then had second thoughts about sourcing/storing wood and the constantly needing to tend the fire part. I actually enjoy that, just don't always have the time...

Now I am back to thinking the cabinet style (Backwoods, Humphrey's or the like) is the way to go; at least for now...

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I found it very helpful.

Last edited by billbird02; 05-15-2017 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Fixed typo.
billbird02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #122
upStomp
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Great advice. I've always toyed with the idea of getting an offset, but I really wouldn't use it often enough to justify having it. It's too "inefficient" for small volumes of meat, which is what I cook 99% of the time. Add to that the cost/pia factor for sourcing good smoke wood here (I live right down the street from an apple orchard, but they sell out of wood the first 2 days of the season they're open), and it all points to sticking with vertical/charcoal. If I ever need to upgrade, it'll be to a PBC for the added capacity.

If my Wife and I become popular again, I'll revisit the option

BBQ Brethren 2018 Tri-Tip Master!!!
upStomp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #123
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I Like having both a Stickburner and a Charcoal Smoker - 2 different smokers. So I have options depending what's going on or can run both for Large Cooks.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-15-2017, 01:20 PM   #124
billbird02

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
I Like having both a Stickburner and a Charcoal Smoker - 2 different smokers. So I have options depending what's going on or can run both for Large Cooks.
I probably should have framed my commentary above along the lines of "...wrestling with which type to get first..."

Old 05-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #125
JeffJ
Knows what a fatty is.

I'd love to add a stick burner to my arsenal. The problem is I don't have the patio space for it. So, it's going to be charcoal for the foreseeable future.
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #126
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
I'd love to add a stick burner to my arsenal. The problem is I don't have the patio space for it. So, it's going to be charcoal for the foreseeable future.
Ain't you got a driveway........

Old 05-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #127
travismagee

Or just get yourself an M1 and burn wood or charcoal.

With a full basket of charcoal you get around 4-6 hours of smoke times between refuels.

For wood only, load a split every 1-2 hours between refuels.

The M1 is a stick burner, charcoal smoker, and fully adjustable charcoal grill. It's small footprint is perfect for smaller patio spaces. There is nothing like it!

Available at BigPoppaSmokers.com and MGrills.com

plus...AmazingRibs.com Best Value Multi-Function Grill and Smoker 2 Years in a Row!
travismagee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #128
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

SmittyJonz, that image of your driveway. It's like the 3 dark villains in superman standing shoulder to shoulder like a phalanx. Art I tell you!!

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"
Notorious Q.U.E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017, 06:21 PM   #129
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

Or this one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170218_165638.jpg (47.8 KB, 234 views)

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #130
Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coat View Post
so the way i've been running my (diy) stick burner is i'll start with lighting a chimney of charcoal (usually lump). it works, but man is it expensive. especially because half the bag is usually pieces too small to stay in the chimney so it just gets wasted. Do any of you guys have a cheaper way to light it? I use a small torch to light the charcoal, but it won't light whole splits. I have to use kindling. And I can't find kindling that's any cheaper than charcoal. Are y'all just cutting kindling out of some of your splits? or are you sourcing kindling somewhere?
I use small sticks and branches from my yard to start my stick burner. No charcoal at all. A bundle of newspaper, sticks piled in top with a shot of canola oil. Lights right up then throw 4 or 5 oak splits on and let them burn down for a nice bed of coals.

My yard is full of trees and it's all woods behind me so wood is easy to come by. Either cut all my own splits or other people gI've them to me. Never pay for them.
Victory is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017, 11:19 PM   #131
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

I use food grade wax firestarters and a box of 100 goes for 22 bucks on amazon. Just to get the thing roaring like a weed burner would, I line 4 up in a row so it burns like a big wick that'll light my big beastly post oak

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"
Notorious Q.U.E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #132
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Q.U.E. View Post
SmittyJonz, that image of your driveway. It's like the 3 dark villains in superman standing shoulder to shoulder like a phalanx. Art I tell you!!

Old 07-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #133
bucko
is one Smokin' Farker

I bet if you put Michael Moore in there you had a great fire with all that fat
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #134
SmittyJonz

Old 08-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #135
10miler
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for bumping this thread Smitty! With all the Bandera hysteria I didn't realize all the things to think about with a stickburner. I could probably get wood fairly cheap here in central FL, but don't really have a place to store it. Also I don't have the time to devote to babysitting a stickburner during the cook. Guess I'll stick with the kettle for the time being!