THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
So easy and so good. I don't believe that smoking is the norm, but it sure adds a nice touch to it.

Best way to describe the cut of pork around here is probably to just say to use the money muscle.

Hit them with a rub of sea salt, sugar, crushed red pepper, and cure#1

I vacuum packed them, but just a ziploc would do, then into the fridge for a couple of weeks.

After a couple of weeks, remove from the package and rinse with water. Hit it with a rub of crushed red pepper, black pepper, coriander, fennel, and anise. Then off to the smoker.

Ran the smoker around 200 for an hour or so then upped it to 250, held it there until the IT of the meat hit 155.

Had to crack it open to take a look.

Begging to have a little bit sliced

.......and since I just happened to have some homemade bread around.....bread, swiss, ham, smoked turkey, capicola

More swiss and a quick trip to the broiler and a bit of pepper.

I put the top on it and cut it in half but in my feeding frenzy, didn't get a pic. :icon_blush:

Good stuff. If you are looking to get your feet wet in the charcuterie world, this is easy and doesn't require a chamber set up. Highly recommend it. :becky:

You got more of a recipe for me please

Yeah, sorry, I am terrible about that.

The only thing I am very concerned with on something like this is the % of salt and % of cure. I used 2.5% of the weight of the meat to determine the salt and 0.25 for the cure #1.

For the cure. Salt and #1 as mentioned above, along with 2 TBS sugar, 1 tsp crushed red pepper. Mix well and rub it on the meat........this was for roughly 3 lbs of meat.

After min of 10 days in the cure, remove the meat, rinse under cold water, pat dry and then season with 1 tsp crushed red pepper, 2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp coriander seeds (crushed), 1/2 tsp fennel (crushed), and 1/2 tsp anise seed (crushed). Mix well and coat the meat.

IMO you can not really over season as you are just hitting the out side and slicing very thin.

Hopefully that was the detail that filled in the gaps.

Good luck.

Brilliant idea....and it does look super easy. Quick question....do you think the whole pork butt could be used and not just the money muscle? I don't care about the shape of the final product as long as it tastes as good as yours looks....Thanks for sharing

Brilliant idea....and it does look super easy. Quick question....do you think the whole pork butt could be used and not just the money muscle? I don't care about the shape of the final product as long as it tastes as good as yours looks....Thanks for sharing

Yes, but I would let it cure longer......I'd probably go a month. As long as you go with % of weight of the meat for the cure, you should be good.

Might have to give that a shot myself. :becky:

tumblr_m9e85mctOn1r2zxn0.gifc200_zpsmy0muecz.gif

Melted_zpspcqkvqfx.jpg

I have never been a fan of capicola but what you did here just might have made me a convert.

Back