THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Felt like a cajun type night, and there's a throwdown. :becky:

Started by making a creole sauce I found on serious eats

Now for the catfish..

Got a couple nice fillets. Cut them in half so they'd fit the pan...

Got some spices together to make a blackend seasoning

I debated about if I should go traditional or grill it.. Traditional won. Cast Iron on the Shirley Shagstone -

Brushed the fillets with melted butter, then coated in seasoning. Don't do this too far in advance... I do it right before it hits the pan

Fish hits the very hot skillet. Don't do this in the house unless you take out all your smoke detector batteries

Done

Made some delicious dirty rice with some grated frozen fatty in it (props to ChicagoKP for that little trick)

It was great. The creole sauce was really tasty, but I don't think the fish needed it. So good by itself.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips on how to do this. Fish market gets catfish in so next time in town I'm trying to make yours!

True blackened catfish is a thing of beauty and a taste like no other. So many people think blackening is just the seasoning but they fail to actually blacken the fish. You nailed this one as usual Shag.

True blackened catfish is a thing of beauty and a taste like no other. So many people think blackening is just the seasoning but they fail to actually blacken the fish. You nailed this one as usual Shag.

Thanks, brother. That always drives me crazy too. You order blackened and they bring out something with no crust and a butt load of orange spice on it. Blech!

Looks so good, got me itching for a summer night on the water listening to a ballgame and catching fatty catties.

Thanks, brother. That always drives me crazy too. You order blackened and they bring out something with no crust and a butt load of orange spice on it. Blech!

Yep! It is one of the dishes I won't order unless I really trust the place to get it right.

The meals I am seeing for this throw down are looking DAYEM GOOD!

Oh-mami yeah

Blackened fish, one of the best inventions of mankind. Then make it all smothered and dirty?Some of the best eating! Nice looking dish!:thumb:

Fan. Farking. Tastic! I LOVE what ya did there, and if imitation is the best form of flattery, well, I'm with Norm! I'm fixin to find five fiddlers for fixing, friend!

Back