THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You will love it! Do yourself a favor, get yourself 4 tuning plates. That was the trick for me. My temps run within about 10 degrees across my grate. I have tried a charcoal/wood basket and decided I like just using splits.

I enjoy the heck out of mine! Enjoy

You will love it! Do yourself a favor, get yourself 4 tuning plates. That was the trick for me. My temps run within about 10 degrees across my grate. I have tried a charcoal/wood basket and decided I like just using splits.

I enjoy the heck out of mine! Enjoy

Where did you get the tuning plates?

Well, it's on its way from Texas. I've never ordered anything from Academy before this. My Wife and I buy lots of stuff online and have never had funds held. Checked my email first thing this AM to find that Academy has my original order total held for $502.35 and now a second hold for an additional $479.99, so pretty much $1000.00 locked up in my account.

Called Academy right away and they said once each item ships (ordered the pecos and thermometer, shipped seperately) that the original $502.35 hold would be removed but it could be a few days. This is a first for sure!

My next call was to my bank so they don't think it was a fraudulent charge and the whole thing was cancelled. They said kinda the same thing Academy said. Again, ordered A TON of stuff online. Never had funds held twice until shipped but whatever...

My third call was to my wife to explain this mess... Not too thrilled on their process but hopefully this is only a brief thing and the rest goes smooth.

Then I checked up on this thread and saw the truck that another member's Old Country was delivered on. :twitch:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228083&page=3

Academy to this point is not instilling confidence... Just get the smoker here (hopefully intact) and I hope my wife is not home when it arrives so I can get it in the backyard and show here how pretty...

Sucks you had to order it. The Academy's here in the OKC area are full of them.....
Hope you enjoy it!

So did the 2nd hold drop off?

Yes it did, once the smoker was actually loaded onto the truck. Now I'm hoping it arrives intact. Ceva Logistics is the shipper and they have horrible reviews. Academy gave me Ceva's customer service number and no one answers. I'm staying positive But this hasn't been the most pleasant shopping experience.

Obviously Old Country makes a great smoker. It really sucks that this is the only way to get one if you don't have an academy nearby. I'm sure it will all be ok but I will refuse it if it's damaged. It's scheduled to arrive Wednesday so we'll see soon! I hope to put all this behind me and just start enjoying my new cooker.

I'm keeping a close eye on this thread since I'll be looking to order a Pecos at some point soon and we don't have an Academy in Wisconsin either. I'll be forced to have one shipped to me so the shipping process may make or break my decision to get a Pecos.

Ok... Today is the day. Half a cord of oak delivered at 10:00 and a 10 - 2 delivery window for the Pecos. Depending on what time the pit arrives, I plan on doing the burn in and season it today.

Pics to come...

Back