THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Pot pie sounded good so here goes..

Started with an 8lb chicken.. lightly seasoned with spog and spatchcocked

Threw it on the shirley around 325ish and started the crust..

I used Martha Stewart's recipe for the crust.. super easy

1 1/4C flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 stick cold butter
3 tbls Ice water

Mix dry ingredients in a food processor. Then add the cold butter in small cubes (1/2in)and process for a minute or so. It will look kinda grainy.. Then add your ice water and mix some more. you should be able to squeeze it together and have it keep its shape. Don't over process it. You can add a little more water if you need to, but I found 3 was just about dead on. Then it will look like this..

Wrap it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge for at least an hour.

Fast forward a bit.. the chicky is done

Dang I love chicken off the shirley. So farking good

Now I started on the filling.. Onions, carrots and a little celery hit the cast iron with some butter..

Cubed up some taters for a quick boil

After the veggies softened, I added some garlic and fresh herbs..

Then I added some flour, fried that for a few minutes, then added chicken broth. once I got the thickness how I liked it, I added mushrooms and the softened taters. Then the chicken. Tasted, seasoned with S&P, cooked for another minute or 2, added some frozen peas and corn, and shut off the heat

Time for the dough. Lucky for me, Mrs Shagdog just got home. She is a pie wiz. She laughed at me for a minute for even making pie dough, then grabbed a beer, sat down, and started folding crust for me... And she was impressed with Martha's recipe. That's high praise..

Threw a bunch of oak in the shirley and got her up around 400-425.. Then added the pies.

375 on the gauge = 400 on the pit.. I don't know why, but its always been that way.. I think its because I have 2" stems or something.. but it is a consistent 25 degree difference.. I think maybe the steel is cooling the temp aropund the dial off a little maybe?

about 20 minutes later...

As you can see, if I was really going for presentation, I would have turned the pies 180 degrees during cooking. Oh well, didn't affect the taste!

Yum!

The Mrs had her piece, then took the dang pie plate, put it on her plate, and proceeded to finish the rest of the pie. Glad I made 2! :laugh:

Thanks fer lookin

Last edited:
that chicken looks so good it would of not made it to the pot pies , I would of just had chicken , lol .

Trust me, I did plenty of qc. That was pretty much my whole lunch.

Superb! Did I miss my invitation for tonight?

Grab that new bottle of scotch and come on over! I've got a half a pie with your name on it.

Back