Bone Candy!

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
IMF
In October we went to NOLA for vacation. One of the best places we ate was at Restaurant R ’evolution!
The food was Great and one of the appetizers we had was the “Brick Oven Roasted Bone Marrow”. It was fantastic!

Chef John Folse came out and we got to talk to him and discussed the bone marrow – he said it was his favorite.
View attachment 104945Here is our version
Get some fresh Beef femur bones from the butcher and have the knuckle removed and then cut in half length wise.
We soaked them in salt solution (about a cup to one gallon) overnight is recommended mixing it and changing out about every six hours.
View attachment 104946
We love it with roasted garlic so we use the old faithful garlic roaster
View attachment 104947
After removing from the brine and rinsing. Let dry and season. We just used S&P
View attachment 104948
We will cook these on the Kettle so gotta get a chimney of coals going!
View attachment 104949
Get the Kettle settled in at 425°, added a couple chunks of Cherry and the Bones are on!
View attachment 104950
They only need to cook about 20 minutes – until hot and soft but not running out. They will bubble just a little. These are coming along nicely!
View attachment 104951
The Garlic is roasted – Love Garlic!
View attachment 104952
Here is a plate of the Bones, Garlic, buttered, and heated or grilled French bread – we did both.
View attachment 104953
We use the garlic to Smear on the bread and add the marrow
View attachment 104954
The Marrow will be spooned out and added to the bread with the roasted Garlic
View attachment 104955
Got the Garlic and marrow on the bread and ready to enjoy!
View attachment 104956
This stuff is soooo Good – It is rich so you won’t eat too much – it makes a great appetizer as we had it for. Kettle was heated to Taylor temp and we cook up a few Rib Eyes but they did not have Bones.
View attachment 104957

We really like this. Found a book called Bones by Jennifer McLagan that does it a little different but I am sure they are good also.

Thanks for Lookin
SD

Last edited:
Love it SD! Bone marrow is one of my favorites topped with parsley salad. Yours looks excellent!!

So what does bone marrow taste like?

It is melt in your mouth goodness. If you like a little fat with a bite af a great steak, you will love this. It is very rich and goes great with the roasted garlic and bread. Many serve it with parsley as Jeannie mentioned.

I think that's great you got to meet Chef John Folse. I love Cajun. Its my favorite thing to cook besides BBQ. He is a Cajun/Creole legend.

I am into trying that, :thumb:
sounds delish, I am a marrow lover but never actually cooked it just for the Marrow

SD, that looks really delicious! We're huge fans of roasted garlic (though not the winds the next day)!

Love to suck the marrow out of the slice of bone in a round steak. Like AussieTitch said, never done a cook for the marrow only. Gonna do this one. Thanks for posting! :thumb:

Back