oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
jmac3352
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Any know about Cadillac Smokers

Been seeing a lot of this company online but looking for someone that uses them to get the real scoop.
jmac3352 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Know Bull
Knows what a fatty is.

Have a friend that bought a 48 x 72 built on a tandem trailer. He really likes it.

Very first cook on it, we threw 250+ pounds of meat on it and took second place in the people's choice at Bixby, OK. We went back this year, cooked 300+ pounds and took first.

Propane system works very well. Trailers well on the road. Had them build a special slide slot so that we could quick change team signs on the top. Motor trip plate also works well; we have tested it a few times. Heat distribution is pretty good inside the cook chamber.

Down side: Shipping was a joke. Missed two shipping promises, and when it was shipped it took a week to get from Missouri to Oklahoma. Could have come by wagon train and got here quicker. And then the truck driver had no way to get it off of the truck; we had to go to a grocery store parking lot and back a pickup onto the semi trailer and pull the cooker off the trailer. It was touch and go....
Near disaster this year at Bixby, when a rack came off in the middle of the cook. They have pins on the end of the rack that are really just a welded bolt. One backed off, we had no replacement part, and we lost use of the rotisserie half way through. (It was a real challenge - but we recovered and still took first). You have to regularly check the pins to make sure none are loose. The pins were not a moment of design genius....
And don't forget, you HAVE to have electricity to cook because of the rotisserie and if you are going to use the propane system.

All in all, it makes a pretty good mobile/roadside catering rig. Cooks well enough, pretty well built, looks good enough that it gives a positive impression. Heavy enough construction that it won't shake apart from use or trailering. You could spend far more money to get a cooker that is far less quality.
But if you are buying one for KCBS competitions, I think there are better choices.

FEC 100
Backwoods Gater
Hasty-Bake Legacy
Big Green Egg - medium
Cookshack model SM050
The Good One Rodeo clone
Know Bull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
stokestackbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I've been using a 3672 since last Spring- it's mounted on the back of my concession trailer. No complaints, nice people, great service. If I could go back, I'd get the 48 model-based effectively doubling the cooking area for an extra $1000.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

my frat brother has one.. and loves it.. has tempurature control and the rotessirie is nice.. but im old school and love good old fashion stick burning lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg http-i.groupme.com-4acf0890be3c0130eff55a7fba7e3030.jpg (45.5 KB, 77 views)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
snappytom
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default like this one?

For sale on CL
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/4565336254.html
snappytom is offline   Reply With Quote