拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #91
THoey1963
Babbling Farker

I would brine the whole chicken. I would also spatchcock it for even cooking. I wouldn't worry about brining the thighs unless you want to keep them all the same flavor profile.

Don't know anything about that marinade. I would check the label for length of time to marinate.

I used water in my water pan one time. Helped keep temps stable, but had a hard time getting above 250* and was a pain to clean. I have the Terra Cotta (orange color, not shiny) planter base wrapped in foil sitting in my water pan that is also wrapped in foil. I even throw one of those cheap turkey roaster pans on top to make clean up easier.

For chicken, I take the pan completely out of the WSM, light a BUNCH of charcoal, and leave all vents wide open. Doing it this way, I can get 350-375*, sometimes a little higher. Chicken needs high heat to get good skin. Make sure you have TBS (clear smoke) before you put the chicken on or you will end up with chicken with skin that looks like a tire. Don't ask how I know. I usually use a small chunk or two of apple / cherry / pecan. Chicken absorbs smoke easily, so a little goes a long way. At 350* and above, chicken thighs only take 45 mins. A whole spatchcocked chicken will take longer, but I would say probably 90 mins max.

For chicken, I cook by temperature. I pull when breast meat is 160* and let it rest covered to climb to 165*. Thigh meat will probably be a little higher, but they are juicy so it's ok.

Can't help with the veggies. I usually grill those and not for very long. We prefer them more firm. Your tastes may vary.

LSG 24"x30"x36" Vertical Upright Smoker with Warming Oven - *** In queue to be built ***
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" - Weber Genesis S-330
Pitmaster IQ-120 - Thermapen - Maverick ET-733

For info on any mods I have done to my WSM, please see this post.
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #92
eddiek2000
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Came out good. May have put veggies on too late, left thighs on too long, but all in all very happy.

Gonna have to find somewhere to host images.

Lessons learned:
Pull boneless/skinless thighs earlier. They are a little tough, but a good snack.
Veggies could have been put on an hour earlier. I put them on at the 2 hour mark, and let them cook longer while the full chicken was foil wrapped off of the wsm.
Wait a little longer to put meat on. I waited 45 minutes for the white smoke to settle and temp to settle, but should have waited it a bit longer. (Not that the meat is too smokey to me - waiting on wife's take on it)

On a another positive note, Amazon gave me 20% off since UPS damaged the box and there is a small dent in my WSM. Full of win!

Last edited by eddiek2000; 07-03-2014 at 07:00 PM..
eddiek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #93
eddiek2000

OK wife said too smokey. I pulled the remnants and sauced it up for BBQ Chicken sandwiches. Perfect for that! Also, took the boneless thighs and threw then in some marinade to hopefully soften them.

Gonna they some baby backs this weekend. No doubt they will turn out great on the WSM.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #94
lantern
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek2000 View Post
OK wife said too smokey. I pulled the remnants and sauced it up for BBQ Chicken sandwiches. Perfect for that! Also, took the boneless thighs and threw then in some marinade to hopefully soften them.

Gonna they some baby backs this weekend. No doubt they will turn out great on the WSM.

It's one of those things. Chicken can be tricky for the first few times as you learn since it takes smoke so easily. You'll get it....and it'll be fun so long as you don't take it too serious.
lantern is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2014, 12:41 AM   #95
wrenbjor
Found some matches.

I would go with Charcoal as well...

I have an article on temp control on my site. http://www.wrensbbq.tv/use-your-vents/

Old 07-04-2014, 01:47 AM   #96
THoey1963
Babbling Farker

Trust me, chicken is the hardest thing I have cooked on my WSM so far.

Not sure if you mentioned before that it was boneless skinless thighs... Or, I just missed it. Makes a difference. Don't worry, it'll get better.

LSG 24"x30"x36" Vertical Upright Smoker with Warming Oven - *** In queue to be built ***

Old 07-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #97
eddiek2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Trust me, chicken is the hardest thing I have cooked on my WSM so far.

Not sure if you mentioned before that it was boneless skinless thighs... Or, I just missed it. Makes a difference. Don't worry, it'll get better.
Pretty sure I left that part out until later. Lesson learned, they take much less time.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #98
lantern
is One Chatty Farker

To me, the easiest way to get "in the area" of the flavor you want is doing whole chicken. There's less surface area plus skin to control smoke absorption. The bird being whole keeps the juices better as well as the bones giving flavor.

If you mess up a little with your smoke TYPICALLY you can simply remove the skin and still have pretty good meat to enjoy. I say typically because...well....there are limits to anything.

After getting the hang of whole birds and knowing what flavor you want plus having more experience with your cooker, you'll find doing legs, wings, thighs and breasts a little easier.
lantern is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #99
RPGJr
Found some matches.

Hi. I'm new to this forum; but I love my WSM. Once you figure out how to use it, and make sure you put in plenty of charcoal, it comes pretty close to a set and forget. And, as stated earlier, can't beat the smoky flavor. (A little apple wood helps a great deal!)
RPGJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #100
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Like THoey1963 I grill my veggies most of the time, especially zucchini, so I wouldn't have been much help. I've smoked many turkeys and liked the level of smokey flavour on them, by chance I never added wood chunks at the beginning. Don't know why, just happened that way. After I'd smoked several turkeys I read some threads in Qtalk where brothers and sisters were talking poultry and how it absorbs smoke more quickly and fully than other meats. Took my cue from that and pass on the wood chunks for a reason, now. I think a few wood chips should be fine, though, unless you're cooking for someone that does not like pronounced smoke flavour. So glad you had a great first cook, it sounded like it was. If your first cook comes out edible, you've won!! Congratulations, brother!
Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about!

Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.
I am a success in life because I am loved.
We teach others who we are with everything we say and everything we do.
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #101
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Forgot to tell you the photo hosting site I use. cubeupload.com

I don't remember if it doesn't resize photos or I just don't know how to, either way, I resize my photos to medium on my computer and just drag and drop them to the cubeupload home page. I recently just found how to change my camera from taking photos large to medium so I may not have to resize them again before posting. I like cubeupload better than photobucket because I don't have to save and leave my photos there and find myself forced to pay for additional memory/service once I reach the maximum free storage threshold. With photobucket, you have to pay when you fill up your free amount. Not so free in my opinion. I do very little, if any, photo adjustment so the program my computer came with suits my needs. Cubeupload does have options for space, etc., you can pay for if you want them, haven't looked at it, though.

Here's how medium size photos look posted from cubeupload.

Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about!

Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.
I am a success in life because I am loved.
We teach others who we are with everything we say and everything we do.
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #102
eddiek2000

Here they are:

Old 07-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #103
eddiek2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
Forgot to tell you the photo hosting site I use. cubeupload.com

I don't remember if it doesn't resize photos or I just don't know how to, either way, I resize my photos to medium on my computer and just drag and drop them to the cubeupload home page. I recently just found how to change my camera from taking photos large to medium so I may not have to resize them again before posting. I like cubeupload better than photobucket because I don't have to save and leave my photos there and find myself forced to pay for additional memory/service once I reach the maximum free storage threshold. With photobucket, you have to pay when you fill up your free amount. Not so free in my opinion. I do very little, if any, photo adjustment so the program my computer came with suits my needs. Cubeupload does have options for space, etc., you can pay for if you want them, haven't looked at it, though.

Here's how medium size photos look posted from cubeupload.

Nice. Homemade McRib!!!

Old 07-04-2014, 10:42 PM   #104
THoey1963
Babbling Farker

I usually share my photos with friends and family on Facebook and then get the link for them there.

Eddie, this thread will eventually die. Don't worry about starting a new thread with questions about your next cook. Someone will jump in and offer advice...