The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #46
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek2000 View Post
Thanks for all of the good info guys. I pulled the trigger on a 22.5" WSM. Another q though, What is everyone using to pick up their meat when in the smoker? Gloves, Bear Paws, etc...
I have Bear Paws and seldom use them. I have some Raichlen gloves that I use a lot.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #47
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

You are going to love the WSM. I have modded mine a little (gaskets, SS door, built a fire basket) and she usually purrs like a kitten. Not necessary, just wanted the comfort and stability. Keep alert of the temps with a Maverick 733 and got a Pitmaster IQ120 for those over night cooks, just to make sure.

I got a pair of those thick red rubber cooking gloves a couple years ago off of late night TV. Just ordered and received a set of Bear Paws as I am doing several butts for a cook coming up.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review HERE. WSM Mods HERE. My Brisket Guide HERE.
THoey1963 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #48
Smokebloke
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default im in the same boat!

im in the same boat, but I've never tried it before. I'm a young buck looking to start smoking some meats! i fell in love with grilling about a year ago and now i wanna start smoking!!

i have been checking out the smoke hollow 44 inch gas smoker. its in my budget and i haven't heard many bad reviews.

what is yalls opinions on these?
Smokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #49
THoey1963

Don't know anything about that gasser, but for $20 more you get a 22.5 WSM.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

Old 06-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #50
eddiek2000
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Don't know anything about that gasser, but for $20 more you get a 22.5 WSM.
Lotta love here for the WSM.
eddiek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #51
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

Ya get a wsm... I got all 3 sizes and they all rock! i prolly use the 14 the most cause it is really good on coal

Old 06-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #52
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Quote:
Thanks for all of the good info guys. I pulled the trigger on a 22.5" WSM. Another q though, What is everyone using to pick up their meat when in the smoker? Gloves, Bear Paws, etc...
I use a pair of cheep PVC gloves that I also use for pulling pork. I do prefer a pretty rough and chunky pull. I don't like the shred that you get with forks or claws.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #53
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I have a few heavy duty spatulas.
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #54
Norm62
Got Wood.

I really like my insulated food gloves. Makes taking food out of my WSM easy.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #55
jbounds286
is One Chatty Farker

^^yea...this place is very helpful and everyone seems to have great information

Old 06-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #56
eddiek2000

Quote:
You are going to love the WSM. I have modded mine a little (gaskets, SS door, built a fire basket) and she usually purrs like a kitten. Not necessary, just wanted the comfort and stability. Keep alert of the temps with a Maverick 733 and got a Pitmaster IQ120 for those over night cooks, just to make sure.

I got a pair of those thick red rubber cooking gloves a couple years ago off of late night TV. Just ordered and received a set of Bear Paws as I am doing several butts for a cook coming up.
Any hints on these upgrades?

Old 06-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #57
THoey1963

You may not need them, so I would try it out before modding it, then you can go the following:

Gaskets: http://www.bbqgaskets.com/catalog_4.html
Stainless Steel replacement door: http://cajunbandit.com/wsm-parts-mods/
Replacement latch for the new door:

Fire basket mod: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...9&postcount=15

Old 06-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #58
eddiek2000

Thanks! Good stuff.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #59
ace27705
On the road to being a farker

if you want an electric...the master built 30" (the one with the wood chute on the side..not the front sliding drawer is a decent electric. They are normally 200 to 250 bucks. it is a nice way smoke and not have to babysit it but the flavor you get from smoking with wood and charcoal is tough to beat. For a novice and the price that weber smokey mountain is tough to beat.
ace27705 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #60
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I bought the latch you referenced, but have not been able to figure out how to put it together. It does not come with instructions, and I am not very mechanically inclined.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote