ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #31
Dabaras
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

The other advantage that I found that pushed the GMG over the RecTec was the local distributors. I hate paying shipping.

Unread 06-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #32
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

What I like best about this thread is that folks are all taking the high ground and only telling what they like and don't like about their cookers, and not bad mouthing someone else's choice. They are all good choices. This is all done in the true spirit of the Brethren, and for this, I applaud you all.
Pitman for All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #33
JHumpertIN
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tut-T-Que View Post
rec tec my man. it took me a year to figured the one I wanted. im a research freak. but I went with a rec tec due to the 6 year warranty and superb customer service. (no im not contracted by rec tec to make these bold statements, haha).
Well I think I have made my decision and this move is coming earlier than next spring. I have read a lot of websites and still reading reviews and watching youtube videos. Based on all the responses I received here and looking at various sites my decision is going to be the Rec Tec. With 116 reviews on amazon about this grill 113 were 5 stars so that says a lot right there. Plus I have read a lot of great reviews and still reading them that says the customer service is awesome. When the big wig of the company gives his personal cell phone nunber and actually answers it when customers call that is good customer service. Noah with pitbarrelcookers also does this and that does say a lot about how they take they take care of their customers.

After talking with the wife I kind of changed some plans around to conserve some needed cash for vacation to the point that I can get the grill now and still have vacation funds. I am looking at ordering my Rec Tec in probably 3-4 weeks instead of 12 months. I already ordered a pellet smoker recipe book and a smoker tube to add additional smoke to the pooper. I should have the cookbook and smoke tube by mid next week. I cant wait to get my Rec Tec and start cooking on it, hopefully this will help me out with my ribs and open up a whole new realm of stuff that can be cooked on the grill.

Unread 06-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #34
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

Congratulations on your new cooker, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
jlane is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #35
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Congrats! Please report back here once you get it!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #36
Huskres
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My rectec should be here tomorrow. Im still torn about not ordering a yoder or cookshack. Both are close to me.
Huskres is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-20-2014, 04:21 AM   #37
JHumpertIN
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Congrats! Please report back here once you get it!
I for sure will document my new adventures, especially if they come out as I am hoping.

Unread 06-20-2014, 04:24 AM   #38
JHumpertIN
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskres View Post
My rectec should be here tomorrow. Im still torn about not ordering a yoder or cookshack. Both are close to me.
My decision came down to 2 grills, the Rec Tec or the Yoder YS640 and the wife reminded me that we set the limit to 1000 so she wouldn't let me go the 1299.00 for the yoder.

Does the Rec Tec come with a cover? I thought I saw a post somewhere that said they got a cover with it.

Unread 06-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #39
Tut-T-Que
Got Wood.

Good choice my friend, you will not be disappointed. I will say my pellet ignite did go bad already, but I contacted rec-tec on facebook and by the end of the day they replied and sent a new one to me(free of charge) love that 6 yr warranty is kickin in already. I'm gonna put that on tomorrow and prolly do a lil smoking tomorrow to make sure she workin right. the unit was very easy to put together too. I will say I wish they had an upgrade of wheels. the wheels are great, super swivel, but I jus wish it had like 10 inch pneumatics on it. jus easier to roll in the grass. but, if that's my only complaint, im doing pretty good.
Tut-T-Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #40
Tut-T-Que
Got Wood.

it did not come with a cover. I bought mine from amazon. heavy duty, very nice. very big. fits lopsided due to the smoke stack, but works for me.

Unread 06-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #41
Tut-T-Que
Got Wood.

retract my last statement. I got my cover from rec tec website.

Unread 06-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #42
JHumpertIN
Got Wood.

Well things have changed some. Today I found a deal I could not pass up so the RecTec is out and I am picking up on Saturday a brand new Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie.

The deal I got plus the fact that I can pick it up at a dealer compared to over 200.00 shipping from Georgia to Indiana is saving me a couple hundred dollars so I could not pass this deal up. My wife and I always say get the biggest and best for the cheapest and I for sure did that. Already went today and bought the cover for it so at least it wont be in the rain

Unread 06-26-2014, 04:32 AM   #43
AussieTitch
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dave View Post
Hello Hoosier,

As an owner of a couple of different pellet grills and a long time user of this method of cooking and baking, I feel qualified to answer why I selected my new Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet grill over the competition. As a user, I wanted features to suit my style of cooking. I am sure some of my wants and needs may be different than others and I would suggest that they would select a cooker to their style of cooking and needs.

Headspace or height of the cooking chamber...

Along with the standard features of the taller headspace in the cooker that gives you room for beer butt chickens and turkeys, you also have room for raised grid baking which works well in most cookers, additional space for rib racks, and room for a rotisserie setup.

The cooker has a full 13-1/2 of headspace which did allow me to fabricate an inexpensive 2 piece second raised cooking grid which doubled the cooking space inside the cooker. I have a total of 864 sq. in. of cooking space with this additional grid.

I can use the full raised 2nd grid or just one side as you see in the pictures. Really adds flexibility to my grill.

Rotisserie Setup

I love rotisserie setups and put them on most of my backyard cookers. The large headspace in the Green Mountain makes adapting this feature to this cooker a fairly easy modification.

These are two whole chickens and two turkey breasts but I do have enough room to do two whole turkeys at a time.

These are slab potatoes and hot chicken wings in another rotisserie setup that does require quite a bit of head space.

High Heat Grilling Insert

I was able to add a high heat grilling insert to this fine grill which was important to me as I like steaks cooked at the tip of a wood or charcoal flame at high temps.

Then, with the addition of Grill Grates, I have one fine high temp grilling setup.

Steaks and burgers sure look good coming off the cooker with this modification.

Raised Grid Baking

The increased headroom in this cooker allows me at add my ceramic plate setter and my hearth stone for my baking. This raised hearth works great with equal temperatures and great air-flow all around the hearth which makes for great baking.

Standard pizzas along with most breads come out great with this simple setup.

With this very high temp baking setup, I can obtain baking temps of above 700 degrees which works great for Pizza Margherita and other high temp bakes.

Our breads and pizza are wonderful coming off of this cooker.

Temperature Range of this Grill

We do quite a bit of cold smoking and the lower range of 150 degrees works well with items like jerky, sausage, fish, and other products. Most pellet cookers will not go this low so that is a feature we like.

Jerky comes out great on the cooker.

Controller

What is not to like about a controller with an integrated meat probe, a remote option if you want it, has a turbo mode for colder Winter climates, and in most temperature ranges will operate with less than 10 degree temperature swings with your cooking.

Other great Features

Will operate on my less expensive modified sine wave inverter in no power situations.

Fairly inexpensive thermal jacket for cold weather cooking.

Local dealers and a company with a wonderful track record of solving any problems that might occur with the use of the cooker.

A few times during the cooking season, the company will offer up deals that can save you as much $100 dollars off the purchase price. Many dealers will also sweeten a deal on the cooker as well.

“Bang for the Buck”

For my needs, and after comparing several cookers in this price range, I felt that the price paid along with all the great features and the easy adaptability to some of the modifications I wanted just gave me more bang for the buck.
My genuine thanks for these ideas, most appreciated.
I see you posted in Aussie forum, thanks for that as well.
I'm permanently banned so I need to reply here.

AussieTitch
AussieTitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #44
dano
Take a breath!

All I know is I can't keep the Fast Eddy pellet grills in stock. They are amazing machines.
1-800-745-6109
Authorized Stump's Smokers Dealer

dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #45
zitterich246
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dave View Post
Hello Hoosier,

As an owner of a couple of different pellet grills and a long time user of this method of cooking and baking, I feel qualified to answer why I selected my new Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet grill over the competition. As a user, I wanted features to suit my style of cooking. I am sure some of my wants and needs may be different than others and I would suggest that they would select a cooker to their style of cooking and needs.

Headspace or height of the cooking chamber...

Along with the standard features of the taller headspace in the cooker that gives you room for beer butt chickens and turkeys, you also have room for raised grid baking which works well in most cookers, additional space for rib racks, and room for a rotisserie setup.

The cooker has a full 13-1/2 of headspace which did allow me to fabricate an inexpensive 2 piece second raised cooking grid which doubled the cooking space inside the cooker. I have a total of 864 sq. in. of cooking space with this additional grid.

I can use the full raised 2nd grid or just one side as you see in the pictures. Really adds flexibility to my grill.

Rotisserie Setup

I love rotisserie setups and put them on most of my backyard cookers. The large headspace in the Green Mountain makes adapting this feature to this cooker a fairly easy modification.

These are two whole chickens and two turkey breasts but I do have enough room to do two whole turkeys at a time.

These are slab potatoes and hot chicken wings in another rotisserie setup that does require quite a bit of head space.

High Heat Grilling Insert

I was able to add a high heat grilling insert to this fine grill which was important to me as I like steaks cooked at the tip of a wood or charcoal flame at high temps.

Then, with the addition of Grill Grates, I have one fine high temp grilling setup.

Steaks and burgers sure look good coming off the cooker with this modification.

Raised Grid Baking

The increased headroom in this cooker allows me at add my ceramic plate setter and my hearth stone for my baking. This raised hearth works great with equal temperatures and great air-flow all around the hearth which makes for great baking.

Standard pizzas along with most breads come out great with this simple setup.

With this very high temp baking setup, I can obtain baking temps of above 700 degrees which works great for Pizza Margherita and other high temp bakes.

Our breads and pizza are wonderful coming off of this cooker.

Temperature Range of this Grill

We do quite a bit of cold smoking and the lower range of 150 degrees works well with items like jerky, sausage, fish, and other products. Most pellet cookers will not go this low so that is a feature we like.

Jerky comes out great on the cooker.

Controller

What is not to like about a controller with an integrated meat probe, a remote option if you want it, has a turbo mode for colder Winter climates, and in most temperature ranges will operate with less than 10 degree temperature swings with your cooking.

Other great Features

Will operate on my less expensive modified sine wave inverter in no power situations.

Fairly inexpensive thermal jacket for cold weather cooking.

Local dealers and a company with a wonderful track record of solving any problems that might occur with the use of the cooker.

A few times during the cooking season, the company will offer up deals that can save you as much $100 dollars off the purchase price. Many dealers will also sweeten a deal on the cooker as well.

“Bang for the Buck”

For my needs, and after comparing several cookers in this price range, I felt that the price paid along with all the great features and the easy adaptability to some of the modifications I wanted just gave me more bang for the buck.
That rotisserie setup looks awesome