First Try Pulled Pork

nmgsc2002

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey everyone! New to the forum here and really have enjoyed the site and wish I found this earlier as there have been a lot of great threads I have been reading and learning from. Over the weekend I tried pulled pork for the first time ever. Got a nice smoke ring on it and great taste although it didn't pull the way I had hoped mainly because I rushed the cook and cooked it around 300-325 for 5 hours to finish it fast for the World Cup games. I left it in the open for 3 hours and wrapped for the remainder with apple juice. I used a mix of Smoking Guns Sweet Heat and Jacks Old South Rubba Dub Rib Rub on this. Next time I plan on following the low and slow method. Definitely going to look through more threads again on this subject and look to find more tips and tricks on this.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 152
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 150
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 149
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 151
Low and slow is not going to make the difference. It is a matter of not stopping the cook until the meat is done. In the case of pork butt, you can go until the bone wiggles loose easily or until it probes like butter. This will normally be somewhere in excess of 200-205 degrees internally.

Probably a little underdone for pulling, but looks and bet it tastes really good.
One thing to check is "pork burnt ends" (do a search at the bottom) you could've done that with one of the roasts. Don't go too low and slow - you'll never get done. 275 for 6-8 hrs is good. 225 = 12 hours= not good for me.
Great Post!

I switched to hot n fast over low and slow. As long as you can wiggle the bone out like said above it's done. If you ever get in a hurry foil it to speed it up a bit. You don't always have to pull it, chopped pork is good also. Looks great still!

Low and slow is not going to make the difference. It is a matter of not stopping the cook until the meat is done. In the case of pork butt, you can go until the bone wiggles loose easily or until it probes like butter. This will normally be somewhere in excess of 200-205 degrees internally.
I also smoke my pork butts at 300 - 325 temp. And it usually takes around the 6 hour mark to hit the temps As stated above. With BBQ it's done when it's done all pits give different variables.

What he said...

L&S or H&F if the built in indicator don't do this it aint cooked long enough

DSCF0131.jpg

L&S or H&F if the built in indicator don't do this it aint cooked long enough

DSCF0131.jpg

Problem is, that bone will wiggle clean if it is OVER cooked as well. I cook mine at 250 ntil it probes like butter. Internal temp is usually around 199 when I pull it and put it in the cooler to rest. I find that it cooks through about another 6 degrees after a few hours n the cooler which puts the temp at 225 when puling. YMMV.

Over cooked is far better the under cooked I've cooked sever thousand shoulders I might have over shot 50. I wrap & rest on the counter top. Using a cooler can result in over cooked.

Echo thee above.. Budget more time than ya need.. Internal temp hits 195 start probing for tenderness and wiggle the bone if it has one.. Only way to know..

Back