ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-15-2014, 07:37 AM   #31
16Adams
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
I actually bought the gaskets and the door before I ever cooked on my WSM. Gasket around the top and the door. Will hold temps like nobody's business.

Now, I know what the real problem is. It's that new woman...errr...smoker you're eyeballing that's coming into your life. The old girl's shortcomings always become more aggravating when there's a new one on the horizon.
A red neck midlife crisis involving a smoker. Rather normal

The Sunscreen Song- "take care of your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone"
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #32
The Grill Sergeant
Full Fledged Farker

I've used my wsm & bbq guru for years. On overnight burns I sleep.

Unread 06-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #33
darkoozy
is one Smokin' Farker

I highly recommend you put the gasket on the wsm opening itself and not on the door. Make sure the surface is very clean and dry before you put the gasket on.

I have a wsm with the gasket kit from Cajun Bandits with their door and the gaskets have been holding for 2 years now. There are no leaks at all.
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #34
charrederhead
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariettaSmoker View Post
After tonight, lets just say that I can't WAIT to get my Backwoods Smoker! Ill use the WSM for Ribs and chicken because this thing won't cook low and slow with all of these air leaks. Ill get the gaskets and the Cajun Bandit to go on it as wwell. Hopefully that will make a difference.
Are any of the sections out of round?

What temp do you get w/ all intakes closed? Do you cook w/ water in the pan? That may help to keep a lower temp.

If you have no luck after all this, call Weber CS and tell them about it.

Unread 06-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #35
THoey1963
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoozy View Post
I highly recommend you put the gasket on the wsm opening itself and not on the door. Make sure the surface is very clean and dry before you put the gasket on.

I have a wsm with the gasket kit from Cajun Bandits with their door and the gaskets have been holding for 2 years now. There are no leaks at all.
I put mine inside the CB door so it is not visible. Between the door, the gasket, and the handle, I get barely a wisp of smoke from my WSM besides the top vent...

Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" - Weber Genesis S-330
Pitmaster IQ-120 - Thermapen - Maverick ET-733
KCBS member

For info on any mods I have done to my WSM, please see this post.
THoey1963 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #36
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

I have three WSMs. None of the doors fit perfectly. There is always a small leak but it can be compensated for by adjusting the intake valves. If I want to cook at 225 and I never do I fill the water pan and maybe just crack the intake valves.
The only time I have had with temp spiking is when I didn't have the top on completely. On one cooker the middle section got out of round and it didn't seal. I fiddled with it though and now with a little pressure the top will fit properly.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #37
16Adams
Babbling Farker

Crap- every cooker I have leaks. Guess I will jettison all- take up cribbage, whatever the fark that is. Now where's my AC/DC tape with "you shook me all night long".

Seriously though, whether you call it perfection or OCD it's a frustrating concept to chase. I've had and sold two WSM's. Great cookers, both leaked smoke, they were so perfect I felt like I was not involved. I enjoy playing with fire. Give me imperfect every time.

The Sunscreen Song- "take care of your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone"
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #38
Untraceable
is One Chatty Farker

Too many people obsess over the door on a wsm. there has never been a door that seals perfectly. ya just have to get over it. find where the wsm likes to settle in and get used to cooking at that. My 22 settled at 240. my bro's 18 with the guru adapter open (no guru fan attached) would be 250, open the vents 300. it was that simple.

Unread 06-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #39
Porcine Perfection
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
Too many people obsess over the door on a wsm. there has never been a door that seals perfectly. ya just have to get over it. find where the wsm likes to settle in and get used to cooking at that. My 22 settled at 240. my bro's 18 with the guru adapter open (no guru fan attached) would be 250, open the vents 300. it was that simple.
Exactly. You need to learn to use the cooker. If you have a leak (and most smokers do) then just adjust the other vents to find your target temperature.

Jim - KCBS CBJ

Porcine Perfection BBQ Team - Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

18.5" WSM (1983 model) | 18.5" WSM (2010 model) | Packer Green Thermapen | Auber PID Temp Controller | QMaster Senior Temp Controller | Mini WSM | Green Bay Packer UDS
Porcine Perfection is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #40
bshm
On the road to being a farker

If you don't want to spend any money you can just lean the door out and put some HD aluminum foil in the gap against the door then shut it and trim the foil about 2" or 3" around the door. Just take the foil sticking out and use it to fill in the gap gently working your way around the door. I had to do this when mine was new for a while and it works well. Like others say if you want to buy a fix just get the Cajun Bandit door.

The stock door works fine for me though, I bent it to fit the curvature of the middle part and although it still leaks a little temperatures are pretty stable.

Unread 06-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #41
Fwismoker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbounds286 View Post
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=554295_0_0_

this is what I have on my grill....it sure as hell isn't coming off lol..and it resists oils!
High heat RTV...the red stuff is what i use from autozone.
Jaime- Jumbo mini or Jimmy
Black bullet -newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS,
Jaime build- http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=173767
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #42
rbswrds
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Thanks for the RED vs Black warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blythewood BBQ'er View Post
I've been using a cut up magnetic picture frame for almost 1year and they did fine, I just wanted something pretty for my first comp. By the way black hi temp isn't food safe, the red rtv silicone is, thats what I made my dome lid gasket out of.
Is furnace cement ok to use inside the smoker? I'm debating on how to seal up a dryer duct I'm connecting to the smoke stack inside. I read silicone is hard to remove (if i ever need to replace the duct) but the furnace cement is more brittle and therefore easier to remove.
rbswrds is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #43
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Just rivet that door shut.

Unread 06-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #44
smoke ninja
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariettaSmoker View Post
Im not real happy with this Weber right now. Ive had problems with the door since day one, that I thought I had fixed tonight. I put a gasket on the door and it didn't leak a drop of smoke. The wife opened the door and the gasket fell off into the fire. Now there is more smoke coming from the door than the vent holes. This is NOT good!

Ive tried everything short of throwing this thing away. Ive tried shaping it, tin foil, now a gasket...nothing helps.

Anyone wanna buy a WSM?

Your right that's not good. Stop worrying about that door and work clean "smoke". The smoke venting from your wsm should be like me, invisible

Proud to be part of Michigan Custom Que
smoke ninja is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #45
Blythewood BBQ'er
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbswrds View Post
Is furnace cement ok to use inside the smoker? I'm debating on how to seal up a dryer duct I'm connecting to the smoke stack inside. I read silicone is hard to remove (if i ever need to replace the duct) but the furnace cement is more brittle and therefore easier to remove.
Not too sure about furnace cement. See if you can Google a msds sheet on it.

3 Town BBQ Competition Cook Team
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote