• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Knives and the question of value

Fixed that for you! :wink:

Stop wishing it was easier, and start wishing you were better.
If I could learn to use whetstones at the age of five, then any of us can learn.

I find that quiet time maintaining blades to be therapeutic.
Also, if you develop good habits, you regularly spend a very short time on this.
The new hi tech stones are amazing, just half a dozen strokes and you are done.

Thanks for the excellent contributions so far in the thread!

Already can! :wink: I just don't think they're such a good recommendation for your average user. Not to mention those whetstone get way expensive if you want to keep that laser edge

Already can! :wink: I just don't think they're such a good recommendation for your average user. Not to mention those whetstone get way expensive if you want to keep that laser edge

Ah Dave, that was the general "you"...not directed at yourself but people interested in knives in general.

The stone may be good news these days.

http://japanesechefsknife.com/WhetStonesForSale.html#Whetstone

Are you locked in to the knives pictured?
Coz I am talking generally, the principle involved.
I could post pics of my Japanese Gyuto chefs knife but I thought everyone would get the point?
Maybe I should?

mas-27.jpg

Lazy way!^^^ :wink:

I have a lot of different knives. Some for ME and some for everyone else.

The knives I have that are of the japanese variety are Tojiro and I am VERY happy with them. Are there other much more expensive knives that I lust after? Of course there are, but I have found that the Tojiros come pretty close to the limits of diminishing returns when it comes to japanese blades. There are better but the price ramps up at such a steep rate I can't justify it.

If I still lived alone I'd have a nice set of high carbon steel knives. But lets just say I go without to avoid that argument. Hehe:caked:

3 generations.
cleaver_zps3aec058e.jpg

The edge is due for a touch-up.

Buccs good thread for discussion. The Japanese have such specialized knives that it is incredible. I am a relatively noob compared to you foodies but I totally appreciate the specialty knives that are offered by the Japanese and some other fine knife mfg's such as wusthof and others. I love to sharpen them but I like that kind of stuff :)

Buccs good thread for discussion. The Japanese have such specialized knives that it is incredible. I am a relatively noob compared to you foodies but I totally appreciate the specialty knives that are offered by the Japanese and some other fine knife mfg's such as wusthof and others. I love to sharpen them but I like that kind of stuff :)

It's great to get positive feedback Marty, thanks.

It's very humbling to look at the long wall display of one of these Knife and tool shops in Japan and walk along realizing I recognize 3 dozen blades...and no idea about the other thousands!
You probably know, the woodworking tool range is huge!
More humbling to be in a group of 40 people at a knife show in Seki, and realize that I am sure I can use knives both in the kitchen and in nature and they can't, they still know a ridiculous amount more than I about every facet of knives, steels, processes and uses.
I'm just some fanboy schmuck who waves them around in kitchen and bush.
BUT....that's how I became a fan.
Superlative!

Nice gyuto! And those stones aren't badly priced either, but I just ordered a Lansky delux system. I've got a few knives that need reprofiling (including that santoku - it's a double bevel) and I wanna keep the accuracy there :biggrin1:

It's great to get positive feedback Marty, thanks.

It's very humbling to look at the long wall display of one of these Knife and tool shops in Japan and walk along realizing I recognize 3 dozen blades...and no idea about the other thousands!
You probably know, the woodworking tool range is huge!
More humbling to be in a group of 40 people at a knife show in Seki, and realize that I am sure I can use knives both in the kitchen and in nature and they can't, they still know a ridiculous amount more than I about every facet of knives, steels, processes and uses.
I'm just some fanboy schmuck who waves them around in kitchen and bush.
BUT....that's how I became a fan.
Superlative!

I love the singular focus that is observed in many things in that culture. Knives are one, but the simplest things like rice making are taken to the finest detail and deepest respect. The OCPD in me REALLY likes this.

...On a side note OCPD is not to be confused with OCD. OCD is a problem that sometimes requires treatment. I'm OCPD.......it just means I'm an A-hole.:mmph:

I love the singular focus that is observed in many things in that culture. Knives are one, but the simplest things like rice making are taken to the finest detail and deepest respect. The OCPD in me REALLY likes this.

...On a side note OCPD is not to be confused with OCD. OCD is a problem that sometimes requires treatment. I'm OCPD.......it just means I'm an A-hole.:mmph:

:-o

:laugh:

:clap2:

Back