The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #16
dadsr4
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I lived through it.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #17
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Actually the German Potato salad we buy at our local Wally World, and Publix, along with Kroger is quite good for a caned product. It is tangy and well flavored. Goes great with some good Polish Kielbasa and sourcrout. Not something you want on a regular basis, but good enough when you don't want to cook an elaborate meal. Quick and out of a can, (except the Kielbasa of course) ready in about 15 minutes. Follow with your favorite antacid for desert if you have a sensitive stomach.

Read is the local brand available here and even has a suggestion on the label on how to enjoy with some good Bar B Que! Can't beat that! Try it, you might be surprised and like it!

Blessings,

Omar

Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #18
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Sorry, but this is a semi staple in our home.

< BTW that's Hank.
Hankdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #19
funugy
Full Fledged Farker

One thing I learned from all my years in the Navy, Tabasco can make anything taste good enough to eat. Hope you got some handy.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #20
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired trucker View Post
Actually the German Potato salad we buy at our local Wally World, and Publix, along with Kroger is quite good for a caned product. It is tangy and well flavored. Goes great with some good Polish Kielbasa and sourcrout. Not something you want on a regular basis, but good enough when you don't want to cook an elaborate meal. Quick and out of a can, (except the Kielbasa of course) ready in about 15 minutes. Follow with your favorite antacid for desert if you have a sensitive stomach.

Read is the local brand available here and even has a suggestion on the label on how to enjoy with some good Bar B Que! Can't beat that! Try it, you might be surprised and like it!

Blessings,

Omar
I don't know about their German potato salad, but Kroger's regular old mayo potato salad is pretty good. I still like the emotional bonus of making my own -- that, and the bacon bits I put in mine -- but I could eat a bucket of Kroger's potato salad in a weekend, and be happy about it.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #21
1buckie
Babbling Farker

You never, ever know..........

Most likely it's goofy, but I always keep my eyes open in the dollar stores & one-off groceries...................

These were a prize:

Pinch end Vietnamese sausage, Brazilian beef......these things were great & being a connoisseur of such stuff, I was surprized............

Key component of the almost all meat pizza:

Doctor that s*!t up, you may have found a winner !!!
1buckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #22
Big George's BBQ

Hey Guerry any report How are your intestines
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #23
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDEDTURKES View Post
Cannot speak for Save A Lot.. BUt have a place close to home that runs ridiculous sales on steaks of "inspected" beef.. If you know someone there or what you are looking at which I am sure you do, you would be shocked what you can get for 1/3 to 1/4 the price compared to other establishments..
This is true. Yesterday I saw some lovely chuck steaks and chuck mock tenders that appeared worth the coin. No butcher on site though as everything is precut from their distributor at this store (It's a small one, little larger than an average strip mall dollar store) and always too thin. Still, I was tempted and if I had a refrigerator in my cubicle I'd have picked up a package. Usually though the "better" cuts have almost no fat content with little to no marbling. Those pork necks though, I might go back for some of those. Their turkey necks are cheap too.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #24
deguerre

NOW! As to the German Potato Salad in a can. I had read the list of ingredients, which was non offensive and offered at least decent nutritional value. Too much sugar though as the third ingredient down, but at least it wasn't HFCS. So, last night was pretty much fend for yourself at dinner and I opened up the can, drained it a little and dumped the contents in a bowl and nuked it. Needed a little salt, and I added a few black olives. It was edible. Way too sweet, but still, basic institutional food. Might make a decent get in the mood dish for watching Orange Is The New Black. Redhot didn't try any after she asked how it was and I paused before answering...then decided she didn't want any just based on that pause. She knows me. Something about how I say the word "um...". But, I was hungry and wound up eating about two thirds of the can with my sandwich, tossing the rest as it wasn't worth taking up precious fridge space.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Last edited by deguerre; 06-14-2014 at 10:06 AM..
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #25
Smokeoholic
Full Fledged Farker

Just because you can doesn't mean you should..

Old 06-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #26
Smoke Dawg
Babbling Farker

If you just gotta do it,

I reccommend Chicken in a can to go with the Potato salad in a can!
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #27
Bigdog

My wife (German) and I (Czech), have been eating the stuff for as long as we can remember. Love it! Different brand though. Nice and tangy and not too sweet. A must have with brats.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #28
bigabyte

I recently saw canned German Potato Salad here at Aldi, which might be similar to Save A Lot (not sure). It's the first I remember seeing it there (or anywhere). I was curious, but didn't pick it up. Mostly because of the potatoes (carbs and all).
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #29
Smoke Dawg
Babbling Farker

Here are some tips to get your cans open!

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/how-to...-%20wos%20main

Scroll to the 2nd picture for video

Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #30
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kds9547 View Post
LOL. Thanks for laugh. At $.79 whaddya got to lose?
About 4 days of your life spent in the ER..