ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Unread 06-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Tut-T-Que
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default goin to wilmington, nc

wheres a good bbq joint down in or around wilmington, north carolina? im headin down there in september for a wedding. i know the bbq and fried foods are a different taste than the north. wanna try some out.
Tut-T-Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yo Tut, hopfully someone fresher will chime in. When I lived there in 96 and worked for Murphy Farms, it was naught. There was Oh Brians ribs...sucked. I don't remember the name, but there was this Q joint that advertised that Gregory Hines ate there and he said it was the best burger he ever had; the q sucked. The best q I had was from the fellers cookin whole hog on their own. Eastren NC style. Dang I miss that. Anyway, if you get over to Harrell's, go to Clear Runs Farms and get some of their sauce. Mr Stedman's recipe. So good! I do miss Wilmington tho, great town.

bluetang is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Dadeo719
Take a breath!

I don't know of any good BBQ near there and I don't know how long your staying and what you can take with you but if I had a the time and chance I would go down to Holden Beach (less than an hour away) and go to Capt Pete's Seafood Market. Freshest seafood and if you time it right you can get the shrimp right off the boats.
Unread 06-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
Wrench_H
is one Smokin' Farker

Sadly, Wilmington is kind of hurting in the BBQ area. There is a food truck, www.poorpiggys.com, that is good if you can find him. His pulled pork is probably the best thing on the menu. Also he is a good dude that I never mind supporting.

There is also a place in Leland(5 minutes south of Wilmington) called Duke's Old South, that if you can get over their blatent theft of a name, is pretty good; its buffet style. I've heard Casey's Buffet is good too, but haven't been there. There is also a new chain in town called Mission BBQ that I liked, but have only been there once.

All of that said, Wilmington really isn't the best place for BBQ. If you are driving down, hit up some of the places north of here, and then hit some seafood spots when you get here.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time Zero Member

Try the Throwdowns - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

Wilmington is very lacking in Que restaurants! On the other hand if you want one of the best ribeyes or t-bone chops go a little south of Wilmington to Kure Beach and eat at Freddie's. Been voted one of the best in the Wilmington area for many years. The wife and I go down every couple of months. If you go try the Steak Barbara, marinated grilled ribeye with crushed garlic and mozzarella, or the Rum Runner Chop with grilled peaches and a balsamic/brown sugar glaze!! Awesome food!!
Jeff - KCBS #67908

Small Spicewine
UDS x 2
BQ Grills Patio
jgbmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
Tricky
Take a breath!

Can't offer any help here, but this brought back memories that I had to post.

I stayed at UNC Wilmington for a week when I was in college a couple of decades ago. Being a westerner, I had never had NC style chopped Q before. A friend from elsewhere in the South took me to some Q joint in Wilmington (I don't recall where it was) and it was then that I learned the difference between the terms grilling and barbeque. We got a couple of tubs of chopped porky goodness and to us hungry college kids, it was pretty great!

I sort of think of that as my introduction to what has become one of my life's loves. ;)
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

Are you going to be driving or flying? Lots of excellent Q restaurants all the way down I-95 from you to Wilmington.
Jeff - KCBS #67908

Small Spicewine
UDS x 2
BQ Grills Patio
jgbmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Wrench_H
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbmgb View Post
Wilmington is very lacking in Que restaurants! On the other hand if you want one of the best ribeyes or t-bone chops go a little south of Wilmington to Kure Beach and eat at Freddie's. Been voted one of the best in the Wilmington area for many years. The wife and I go down every couple of months. If you go try the Steak Barbara, marinated grilled ribeye with crushed garlic and mozzarella, or the Rum Runner Chop with grilled peaches and a balsamic/brown sugar glaze!! Awesome food!!
I couldn't agree more about Freddy's. I've been there 5 or 6 times, and haven't found the ability to not order a pork chop yet. I've never had a chop that even comes close to theirs. Its one of the few restaurant items that I can't reproduce at home.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Unread 06-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
smokinbutts
Full Fledged Farker

if your driving down 95 and are in Wayne county there is Wilburs and Mcalls both are exellent Q
smokinbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Wrench_H
is one Smokin' Farker

Just saw this review today. Might be worth trying if you go down to Southport, http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...1177?p=2&tc=pg

Unread 06-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
akoda
Full Fledged Farker

If you are driving stop in Richmond and hit Buzz and Ned's, excellent Q http://buzandneds.com/

time it right and I'll join you :)

We have a Mission BBQ here too now and I wasn't impressed
Unread 06-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #12
chicagokp
is Blowin Smoke!

I was just in Wilmington. Wrench_H said there wasn't any good Q. We ended up at Front Street Brewery for dinner and Dixie Grill for breakfast. Both were pretty good.

White Lightning Thermopen
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #13
Tut-T-Que
Got Wood.

im driving from south jersey. going for a wedding. but plan to make it a family vaca at the same time. gonna stay in fork union, va for a day at a family members house. (kinda a pit stop) also anyone been to Grady's in Dudley, nc?
Tut-T-Que is offline   Reply With Quote