喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Unread 05-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Headed to Knoxville & Nashville 5/19-23

Combination work (wife) & not work (me), looking for somewhere good to eat (not limited to BBQ). Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 05:00 AM   #2
Crakaveli
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0

bbq or in general?
Crakaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #3
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli View Post
bbq or in general?
Both, either. Also going to be in Livingston about lunch time on the 20th - Tennessee BBQ seems to have an interesting story.
Unread 05-09-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
Crakaveli

meat & 3: arnold's or monell's
hot chicken: a few to choose from. all good. must try.
bbq: martin's, jack's on trinity, peg leg porker, edley's, papa turney's to name a few
breakfast: pancake pantry (prepare to wait in line outside)
burgers: the pharmacy or gabby's
other: city house, patterson house (cocktails), marche/margot, etch, catbird seat (if you can get in), rolf and daughters, kayne prime

that's just the tip of the iceberg. hopefully somebody else will chime in. was there a particular place you had in mind that wasn't listed?
pizza: desano's, porta via, five points pizza
Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
Crakaveli

i forgot husk.
Unread 05-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Here's a thread with some TN BBQ info.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Thanks for all the ideas. We tried Jack's on Broadway (music row) in downtown Nashville for lunch today. It was actually quite good. My go-to for trying new BBQ joints is smoked turkey and they did a real nice job, quite moist and very tasty. What they bill as Tennessee style sauce is new to me, kind of a cross between a carolina hot pepper vinegar sauce and a more traditional tomato based sweet sauce - it had a great kick and I'll probably try to get some before leaving.. I also got a little sampler of the pork, brisket and sausage, all OK to good, the brisket flat was a little dry and they got nothin on Texas hot links. Still have tomorrow & thru lunch on Thusday before heading home.
Unread 05-21-2014, 04:21 AM   #8
Crakaveli

lower broadway is not music row. glad you enjoyed your nashville Q.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Row
Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #9
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

We did stop at Jim 'N Nicks in Murfreesboro for a late lunch and it was pretty dang good! OK, it is urban BBQ (fancy modern decor) and it is a chain but they did pretty good IMHO.

I got the 2 meat, turkey & brisket plus mac-n-cheese and slaw, my wife got a pulled pork sandwich and onion rings. Turkey was very moist and tender, just a hint of smoke taste (for me that's a plus on bird), the brisket flat was very tender and moist (despite the crappy iPhone picture). The pulled pork was as good as it gets and the onion rings very crispy. They have a habanero sweet BBQ sauce that is really different and tasty. Portions are huge which in part offsets the pretty steep prices. No doubt in my mind that the 2-meat or 3-meat would easily feed 2 folks so that mitigates the $18 or $20 respective costs. The only other negative, everything I had was sliced pretty thin but if that's the worst thing I got to say that ain't to bad for retail BBQ. I will say the fancy urban BBQ setting was somewhat tempered by a wall of family photos showing BBQ contests, little league and school sports mixed in with some old school pics of open pit southern pig-n-chicken BBQ. All said, the 'bama boys do a pretty good job and I'll definitely go back given the option.

Gonna duplicate the post over in road trips just to close out that thread.

EDIT: Oh yea, almost forgot. We tried to go to Puckets Grocery for dinner but they were closed for a private party so we hiked a few blocks and went to Demos Steakhouse. I rarely get steaks in restaurants 'cause I'm almost always bummed out with what I get but the KC strip I got was really good and cooked to a perfect X-rare. I ordered the red beans & rice as a side. What a treat and not like any other red beans I've ever had - it was like perfect tender red beans in a sausage ragu served over dirty rice. REALLY GOOD and a meal in itself.
Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-02-2014, 05:49 AM   #10
KentuckyLandSales
Knows what a fatty is.

Yes - Peg Leg Porker and Martins. Jim and Nick's does a great job, but is a chain. Peg Leg and Pat Matin will actually be there running their joints.

And Carey Bringle has his won bourbon --- that is fab.
KentuckyLandSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #11
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Actually Martin's is now a chain as well with four outposts middle TN and one in WV. There's a difference between a chain and a franchise as I'm sure you know and some chains do it better than others. Jim n' Nicks and Martin's are great examples of how to do chains right. Don't count it against them.
is my tumblr photoblog

22.5 WSM
22.5 OTS Weber kettle
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote