Best method for storing / re-warming pulled pork

Liasc

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I recently cooked a large quantity of shoulders. Timing was everything but shoulders are more stubborn than a mule. I'm planning another large cook in July but this time I want to pre-cook, pull, cool / freeze. What I'm looking for is advice on the best way to reheat the meat. Last time I used a large frying pan which dried out the meat.

If you have a vac sealer you can get bags that can be boiled. That is one idea. Another is vac seal them whole, reheat on the smoker, then pull. Having the juices is the key to not drying them out. Thats why I like to keep them whole as long as possible. You can also think about putting the pulled meat in aluminum pans, and adding some sort of liquid while reheating (apple juice/or something).

If you have a vac sealer you can get bags that can be boiled. That is one idea. You can also think about putting the pulled meat in aluminum pans, and adding some sort of liquid while reheating (apple juice/or something).

I agree with SkinEz, I Vac-Seal the pork after it has rested and then has been pulled, with a little apple juice. I have found large bags in the freezer for over a year old and they still taste almost as if they were just cooked. Typically I package in 5 lb of pork in gallon sized bags, they lay flat in the freezer, works out great for planning purposes.

But all bags are not equal, some are rated for heat to be boiled, many are not. I find that the meat is best if you thaw in the refrigerator the day before, bring a pot of water to a boil, drop the bag into the boiling water and drop to a simmer for about 10 minutes. Comes out moist and and be served right out of the bag.

Thaw it, wrap it in foil or put it in a foil covered pan with the juices and put it in a 300° oven until it's the temp you want.

Thanks, this gives me a plan. Now I just need to learn the correct words in French to get the machine and boil able vacuum sealer bags here on the economy, unless someone knows a dual footage machine I can order online.

I pull, lightly sauce each butt, 1 butt per half tin works perfect approx 5 lb each. Roll tin in saran / plasti wrap then cover top with tin foil, goes in freezer if more than 5 days out. Thaw in fridge the day before and then go back into smoker or oven, never break the seal of plastic and the foil protects the top. I do 20 to 40 butts for big events. If only need to have less than 20 butts, then I do day of.
Put in smoker or oven till internal of 145 to 160, try to keep oven temp under 275

Back