拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #16
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

My favorite way to cook a steak in a Screamin hot CI skillet.
Let the steak come up to room temp
Put the skillet in the oven turn it up to molten steel temp let it soak for 20 min
Turn your big cook top burner WFO
Retrieve the Skillet place it on the burner
Put a Tbl of Grape seed oil in the pan and a TBL of Butter and a Garlic clove ( paper on)
Let the garlic toast for 15 sec and add the steak and another tbl of butter let it go 5 min.
Flip the steak baste it & put the skillet Back into the oven turn off the heat and let it sit in the oven for 10 min.
Plate it with a sprinkle of Sea salt Cracked peppa and a Pat of Roasted garlic & lemon zest compound butter.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #17
BBQArk
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I rub some crushed garlic on both sides, add Kosher salt & ground pepper, and put them on a wire rack in the fridge for at least an hour and preferably 2 or 3.

More times than not, I'll sear and then finish indirect, but my best result has been with a reverse sear. With two BGE's you could do as the others suggest and set up one around 225F and the other searing hot. Cook indirect (lid closed) until about 10 degrees below desired doneness, then sear for 90 - 120 seconds per side, watching closely (lid open).

Old 04-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #18
frog13
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Try the reverse sear. Start cooking indirect at a lower temp, maybe 200-250 until the internal temp is 10 degrees less than where you want to end up. Then switch to high heat and sear each side 2 min or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholloway View Post
Cook it in a smoking hot CI skillet directly over hot coals. For a steak that size about 4-5 minutes on each side for rare to med rare.
Combine these two! We buy the prime rib-eyes at Costco all the time. I put them in the Smoke Vault at 220 until the IT is 100-105, then I toss them into a preheated CI skillet that is smoking hot, flip every minute or two until the IT reaches 125-130. Pull it off and it will rise to 130-135. I have now begun using upside down grill grates on the Weber in lieu of the skillet, but same effect. The picture is a comparison I did, prime vs. choice, the prime is on the right. The choice looks a little dry on the one end, a little strip of bad fat there, but the rest was perfect. They were both damn good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rib Eye 02-05-14.jpg (84.2 KB, 61 views)

Old 04-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #19
Whitewookie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
I've done reverse sear with many larger cuts of Beef (Prime Rib and Tri tip mostly). For some reason I'm paranoid about trying it with Ribeye. Seems like it wouldn't get the fat to crisp up nicely and I'm worried I'd overcook the thing. Smaller cuts seem to go up very quickly even at low temps.
With the thickness you described (1.25 to 1.5 in.) I think you are good. I wouldn't go with less than 1.25.

for med. rare, indirect low and slow to an internal temp of ~115 deg then sear over direct until you get the desired color and temp. (130-135). For more or less than medium rare add or subtract finish temp on the indirect side.

I dry brine them for a couple hours before cooking then dust them with some good black pepper just as they come off the fire so the pepper doesn't scorch but the surface oils are still hot enough to activate the pepper. You could also dust them with your favorite spices at this time if desired.

I've used this method for inch and a quarter and up steaks several times with good results.

Thin steaks are a whole different animal. Well, I mean they are still a cow, but...oh hell never mind, You get it.

VR,
Harold
Whitewookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #20
letdasmokeroll
Full Fledged Farker

Cave man style
letdasmokeroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #21
Whitewookie
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah, I wanna try that cave man style too. I'm just a little bit skeert to try it with a good cut of meat like a rib eye.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #22
letdasmokeroll
Full Fledged Farker

I was too but now its the only way I cook steak ..I won't lie is kinda freaky to do it lol
letdasmokeroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #23
Whitewookie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by letdasmokeroll View Post
I was too but now its the only way I cook steak ..I won't lie is kinda freaky to do it lol
I was thinking I'd learn the process, then tell my buddy Andy, who thinks he is a food snob, something like, "You buy the steaks and I'll buy the beer and cook, Martha said you can crash here if you don't piss her off" ( A frequent invite). Then watch his face melt when I toss three good steaks right on top of the hot coals....

Old 04-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #24
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
I like to do a quick high heat sear and then finish with indirect heat until the steak hits 125-130. I then rest for about 8 minutes until I slice into that morsel.
+1 on the quick sear and indirect finish to temp. My personal opinion is that the Ribeye has the best flavor of any steak cut, other than a light S&P, don't fark with it.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #25
buccaneer

Great steaks are best done in a CI skillet, for my opinion and taste.
I use sea salt and fresh ground pepper only, sometimes fresh garlic and butter .

Lesser steaks I play with the flavours and marinades, but this is my way with really good steaks.

The Truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable!
buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #26
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Sous vide to 130 then scorch them on the egg each side for 45 seconds.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #27
Q Junkie
is one Smokin' Farker

I am with Bourbon Barrel on this one. I have only had the time to try it a couple of times but man did they turn out really good.
Season with kosher, black pepper and chopped garlic. Sous vide in a vacume bag until 120*
( I like rare), remove, a little EVOO then sear the @#$%^&* out of them to the color you like. Takes time to do it right but it was perfect.
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #28
buccaneer

I was very enthusiastic about sous vide!
Love rare steaks, but after eating enough sous vide steaks with a sear to be certain I gave it up for steaks.
It didn't do what I can do using a CI pan or grill as well, producing a tastier result from two steaks cut from the same meat.
Reading about it I discovered that this result was also adhered to by top restaurants, the heat of the direct methods produce more flavinoids...something my mouth seemed to have agreed with.

Still the best method for cooking seafood tho IMO.

It's subjective, YMMV

The Truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable!
buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #29
Eddie Money
Got Wood.

Quote:
I like to do a quick high heat sear and then finish with indirect heat until the steak hits 125-130. I then rest for about 8 minutes until I slice into that morsel.
Yup...especially prime meat.
Eddie Money is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #30
landarc

there has already been some great advice. Man, it has been a long time since I was at Jocko's, was planning on hitting it in June until plans changed.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote