oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
lennitt
Full Fledged Farker

Default Low and slow vs hot and fast

Do you get the same amount of smoke on a brisket cooked hot for a shorter time as slow at lower temp? I cannot figure out how you would but want to try 275 vs the 225 I usually use.
lennitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
smoke ninja
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Some do 225 or so for an hour or so then ramp up the temp.

feel the radiance. Join the "700" club today

Brisket is my spirit animal

Proud to be part of Michigan Custom Que
smoke ninja is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Not to get too picky, but some dont consider 275 hot n fast, but another version of low n slow, just not too low nor unnecessarily slow.

For me, my smoker doesn't really do well under 240. But from 240 to say 280 give or take it's all sweet blue...
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
The Smoking Pig
Knows what a fatty is.

With me, I find what my cooker cooks best at. I can easily keep my smoker between 275 and 300. So I cook at that temp. It is much tougher for me to keep it at 225. If I had a pit that held 225 easy but I had to fight it to get to 275 I would cook at 225. Just comfort with the cooker. If your doing 225 and enjoying it I don't see a reason to change.
The Smoking Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Depending on the smoker 225 can be too low. The hotter the fire the better smoke and better taste.

Need a new cooker? Build a Jimmy

Double O' Seven Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset! ... plus warmer
Fwismoker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

My flavor has improved cooking Hot 300+ and is by no means lacking.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
got14u
is one Smokin' Farker

back to the OP question....I try to put a lot of smoke to a hot and fast brisket early in the cooking. I do think some hot and fast briskets lack the smoke flavor...but I have also had some that did not. I think you can also use a stronger wood for Hot and fast. I am not a fan of mesquite but it works for these type of cooks. IMO

Old 04-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
eggzlot
Full Fledged Farker

I just did my first hot and fast butt yesterday. No difference noted regarding texture or smoke. I didn't foil and it had a great exterior bark
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
K-Barbecue
is one Smokin' Farker

I usually do a slow start of 200-225 until about half way done then finish off at 325 which really renders the fat into a nice crusty bark. This puts the smoke in the meat better with the initial low starting temp.
Micro stickburner Yoder YS1500, Stumps Stretch, Primo Oval XL, gasser and Ridiculously Fast Red Thermapen. Past cookers: FEC100, FEC120, Klose stick burner, 22.5 WSM, Traeger BBQ125, Traeger Lil Tex, Rec-Tec pellet smoker, Cookshack Smokette electric smoker.
K-Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

It all depends on what type of cooker you are using, pellet poopers lose their smoke flavor the higher you go, while stick burners are fairly consistent. I cook at 275 and have no problems getting smoke into the meats.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
Tombstone BBQ on Facebook
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
Bigr314
is One Chatty Farker

At first I smoked everything at 225 with great results.As time went on I would find that it was hard to keep the lower temp. So now I let my cooker find its temp. Most of the time it is around 275 to 325. I have not noticed any difference in taste. Just faster cook times and a lot less trying to chase a particular temp.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

I cook both low and slow and hot and fast depending on how I feel or how much time I have. Sometimes with low and slow if you use smoke the whole cook food can get over smoked. I've never had a problem with to much smoke using hot and fast.

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #13
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

I've always thought that "low and slow" gave better flavor but I also like the bark and shorter cook time that higher temps give, so I do both!
With a brisket for example, I start at 250 for the first three hours as generally the meat will take in all of the smoke that it will during that period of time and the rest of the cook is really about cooking the meat and getting the color and texture that you want on the bark. So after the first three hours I crank the heat up to 300 or so to finish the cook, there is very little or no stall, the bark gets a nice crunchy texture and the flavor is great. Best of both worlds!

Old 04-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #14
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

Not that anyone wants to believe it but meat takes on smoke as long as its in the smoke.

Now the ring formation that stops at a point, but you can put smoke into something until its too much, how would that be possible if it magically stopped taking smoke?

I personally like a kiss of smoke, not a heavy smoke. but each their own, i believe the hotter cook temps, the cleaner the fire the better the flavor, but if you are one who like the heavy smoke then you may notice a difference.

like was mentioned ways to do everything, a stronger wood will then be required to give the same smoke flavor.

best way is to try a few and see for yourself. nothing wrong with either way or a combination, just enjoy cooking and trying new things.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Here's an interesting article about smoke and it's effect on meat. Scroll down to the heading "Smoke And Food".
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...n_of_wood.html
As the article points out, smoke does continue to collect on the surface of the meat as long as there is moisture present but as for actual "penetration" there is very little. The smokiness of BBQ is really in the bark, not deep into the meat.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->