ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #31
SmittyJonz
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I was thinking of filling my FB half full of pellets and tossing in a lit weber cube thing.....

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #32
ag80n
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShencoSmoke View Post
I'd be interested in your pit design. Mine would be cold after 5 hours.
Me too. Longest I can get in my brick pit is not quite two hours and that's on a hot day after it's been running all day.

Unread 04-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #33
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
I was thinking of filling my FB half full of pellets and tossing in a lit weber cube thing.....
Don't forget the smokerator......
Weber OTG- Ole Blue
Rotisserie Drum- The Bird Barrel

1752 Barbecue
facebook.com/1752Barbecue
ShencoSmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #34
Teleking
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag80n View Post
Me too. Longest I can get in my brick pit is not quite two hours and that's on a hot day after it's been running all day.
Home heating = absolutely : cooking on TBS = not a chance.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #35
grill 'em all
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I'm with ya on that!! If I had mine in the 250-275 range & walked away from it for 5 hrs I could most likely lay down in the cooking chamber it would be so cold!! The OP should check out Mr.Coyotes set up..Hell so should I!
"Makin the competition squeal"
Follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/Showtime BBQ
And on Twitter @ShowtimeBBQ

Exodus 12:9
grill 'em all is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #36
SmittyJonz

I'm gonna experiment this weekend with my Junky Bandera. I'm gonna pack as many splits as I can get as tight as I can get in FB on top of grate that sits 2" off floor and dump 1 chimney of lit coals on top and let it go. Not gonna put any food in till I see what it does. I think it'll be Heavy Harsh Smoke from smoldering wood but we will see. I have a guy at work who says his Church buddy does this and my work buddy swears the Q is Good (and he's had my Q many times- it's the guy who helped me patch up this Turd).

Unread 04-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #37
ag80n
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleking View Post
Home heating = absolutely : cooking on TBS = not a chance.
I am assuming you were pointing out to me that I missed a joke about home heating.

If however you were saying my brick pit won't run that long between fuelings you would be correct. This is something that I only experience at the end of a cook on my brick pit. I know it sounds a bit far fetched but it's the honest truth. In this pit I burn my wood down to coals in a hearth and only shovel in the coals. First hour or two it needs coals more often but once the bricks heat up it only needs coals once every 45mins to and hour but sometimes near the end of a cook I can do one last fuel to get the temp up to 250 and let the fuel run out. If it is hot enough outside it will coast slowly down to 225 as the bricks start to release their heat. The longest this has lasted after the last fuel is added was about 1:45. The TBS does die out over that time but it doesn't smolder. I guess I should have been more clear that this pit is not run exactly like my offset stick burner is. My bad. I was more stating this as an example of the longest I had ever been able to maintain a temp worthy of cooking at. I am in the same boat as everyone else seems to be with normal fuel intervals.

Unread 04-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #38
Trailer Trash
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCoyote View Post
Sorry to chuckle, but stick burners with a proper fire running only need attention every 4-6hrs. I get up twice in a night and usually just toss a large block on and head back to bed for another 4-5hrs.
Fat, I'm curious as well, what are you cooking on?
Trailer Trash is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #39
WildeMan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

When I first saw this thread, the idea of somehow incorporating a rocket stove came to mind; for some designs, they share similarities with a gravity feed cooker like a stumps. Then I found this video. Although this runs on pellets, I'm sure you could use wood chunks if you can get them small and uniform enough to flow in a hopper of some sort.

http://www.pelheat.com/Rocket_Stove.html

Notice how he has vents or "restrictions" set up to draw air from either above or below the fire, kind of similar to the intake vents on some wood stoves or stickburner fireboxes. This should give you more control over how clean your burn is, so the result isn't too smokey.

Now, the REALLY hard part would be to figure out sizing of the stove compared to the pit itself, in order to get the temperature range you want; ideally, in this case, between 200 and 400 degrees at the grate, and adjustable on demand. I think it's a good idea to start with though, compared to making something else like a UDS do something it wasn't designed for.
WildeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #40
creekwalker
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
That's an interesting link. Am surprised that thread wasn't longer.
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2014, 07:12 AM   #41
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 2

Quote:
yes please enlighten us with this pit of yours.
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michi...80?sk=timeline
http://www.gofundme.com/Michigan-CustomQue-Donate
ButtBurner is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #42
Murray in N.Z.

Hi there, My name is Muzza and I'm a stickburner. I started burning sticks as a youngster along side my old man and really havn't stopped since then ... been over 48 years now since I started fires by myself after school .... Yeah those that have suffered from another addiction will recognise the speech!

I've found that it works best with a big stack of DRY wood. start the fire on one side of the firebox, it will smoulder away making its own charcoal for hours n hours .... but if'n you have a wet stick you will get creosote buildup sometime. I just picked up a stand alone wood fire unit to build a new firebox with that has absolutely perfect air control and a big solid firebox, I should be able to get 6 hrs out of it rather than 4 out of it.

Muzza.

PS. Hot n fast is pretty much a no no with my current setup.

Last edited by Murray in N.Z.; 04-24-2014 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: didnt make gramatical sense .... its a wee bit better now.
Murray in N.Z. is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #43
Murray in N.Z.

This thread should become a sticky ....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/ne...reply&t=138045

looks like I can achieve a lot more from my efforts... thanks for posting it.
Muzza.
Murray in N.Z. is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2014, 05:45 PM   #44
matadorbait
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I hope there will be some experiments this weekend (I just whiled away a 2 hour meeting with my boss doodle-ing new firebox designs). I'm going to try loading up my insulated FB with a top-down fire and air-intake near the top of the FB. The insulation and high intake should help reduce creosote, since clearly a 6 hour burn of thick white is not the goal.

IF this method gassifies for the first few hours (and thus converts the wood to charcoal), that's fine--I don't need smoke in the second half of the cook anyway.

I also have a 'rocket stove' type idea for a downdraft firebox, but its a bit radical and will wait for next month.

Unread 04-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #45
SmittyJonz

I could only get 6 splits in as Bandra FB are small - 1 hr now and low temps and heavy white smoke. I was gonna cut them in half and stand them up but I'm smoking on my cabinet smoker and didn't have time to cut up splits.

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 04-26-2014 at 02:02 PM..
SmittyJonz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
long cooks, Minion Method, stickburner