ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
castlepines
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I'm curious, lantern, what is it that makes you sick? Sugar? Spices? Fat?
castlepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #17
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I find that I can't take what I used to anymore, especially for dinner.

As for what, it varies. I simply cannot eat tomato sauce in any quantity that is satisfying, it will not let me sleep. Fatty meats, and particularly rib steaks eaten at restaurants no longer sit well, the fat is too much for my system. If I simply must have a rib steak, I can only eat half.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #18
matadorbait
Knows what a fatty is.

Like others: keep dinner simple/light. BBQ is for lunch, and then in moderation. Sometimes I have BBQ for breakfast, too. I also switched to kegged beer (not bottled), so I can have 3-4oz with dinner. A full bottle will mess up my sleep during the week. Or start drinking at noon (in moderation) but stop by 6pm (my weekend routine).

The only thing worse than getting old is, well, not getting old.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #19
Erik van Voorst
Got Wood.

Years ago I use to stuff myself with "greasy fried food only" during nights out and/or BBQ.

When I pretty much overnight changed to still stuffing myself but with lots of veggies and decent (cooked) meat and moderate sauce I had no discomfort anymore...

No more stomach hurt (my friends still complain after their meat only diners) or gas spreading around (which made me leave the room myself as well)

Point being you actually need no pills nor doctor you need to use common sense....it is all around you PEOPLE EAT BAD....

So simply pay atention and you get your reward pretty much immediately...

I really enjoy the elegant cooking and subtle tastes as wel as big juicy ribs....just find a balance

Unread 04-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #20
ShencoSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

I learned a lesson last weekend and that was to not eat pork belly late at night while drinking heavily. I was sweating pork fat, and I think my gut was serving as a grease separator. It was not fun.
Weber OTG- Ole Blue
Rotisserie Drum- The Bird Barrel

1752 Barbecue
facebook.com/1752Barbecue
ShencoSmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #21
Yendor
Full Fledged Farker

Hot dogs, specifically cheap ones. Not only do they make me sick it is not just a sour stomach feeling, it is immediate puking. My wife thought it was a joke but because it is so predictable in me I ate a cheap hot dog and within 10 minutes it was back. She believes me now. I buy all natural wieners made by my local butcher shop. I swear I could eat those things by the dozen before, not anymore. And yes, I have eaten 16 hot dogs and buns in one sitting.

Unread 04-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #22
FC BBQ
On the road to being a farker

I am finding as I get older, I can't eat a lot at one time (I don't get my money's worth at buffets) but I eat all day long.
FC BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #23
Lytnin

Strangely I can eat any fast food (with the exception of Burger King) all day every day and have zero problems. But if I eat anyplace else I will undoubtedly have "an episode" within a short amount of time afterwards. The reaction seems to happen faster with grilled beef. I can eat anything I want at home with no issues with the exception of eggs. Don't know what it is about eggs but they do not like me.
Lytnin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #24
HookEcho
Got Wood.

have you become gluten intolerant? That almost sound like a friend if mine who cant eat gluten.....I'd almost say talk to your Dr.

Weapons of Choice:
Yoder Smokers Kingman Comp Cart
Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart
Rusted POS Weber Gas Grill
(1) Hemi Orange Nitro Methane Thermopen
(1) 85 lbs GSP Bird Dog
HookEcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #25
pjtexas1
is One Chatty Farker

I have always had an iron stomach. As a kid they called me the garbage disposal. Even to this day I can eat anything that I like and in quantities that are not proper. I am not a big guy, 5-8 185lbs, but I can put my 6-3 friends to shame at a buffet. That being said I realy do try to eat properly because I dont really want to die of a heart attack. But if challenged I can eat a lot. I wonder at what age this all starts to change? I know when i turned 30 someone snuck into my yard and raised my basketball goal because that was the last time I ever touched it without a ladder.

Unread 04-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #26
104timberwolf

I enjoy the preparation and cooking much more than the eating nowadays. Experimenting with different seasonings and rubs, tending the fire all day and trying to cook the perfect piece of meat. And feeding others and watching them enjoy the final product. A taste or two is all I need.
104timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2014, 12:12 AM   #27
lantern
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Dirty fire & Gas cooked stuff (Southern Pride ect) rip me a new one too.
Yep, that's the thing for me.

Now, for the fellers mentioning prevacid and such. I've had GIRD for 20 years and had made a daily ritual of those wonderful pills. But, when I go toe to toe with dirty smoked or gassed bbq my body says "no sir...I don't like it". Now THAT'S an awful feeling. To know you've already pilled up for the day and still get crushed. Nothing to do then but to cuss a bit while playing solitaire on the can.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2014, 12:20 AM   #28
mchar69
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I find that moderation seems to help as well.
Not my strong suit.

"Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper"

Sometimes, really, the old way is best.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2014, 12:25 AM   #29
robbq
Full Fledged Farker

I can still eat most anything but I can't eat nearly as much quantity as I used to, and some foods will keep me up st night. Nexium is a huge help.

FWIW you might be sensitive to something in particular and not know it. Years ago my wife got sick every time we went out to eat. Doctors said it was just nerves but we knew it wasn't that. She suspected all sorts of things and tried eliminating them, but for a while it made no difference. Eventually she figured out it was milk and she was lactose intolerant. This was a while back before everybody knew about it.

My point is that you might have some trigger food that bothers you, and it might not be obvious which food it is.

Also, ingredients make a huge difference. After my wife figured out the lactose thing, she would still get sick if she ate a hot dog. Then we noticed on the labels that most hot dogs include lactose as an ingredient. WTF??? So she takes the pills any time she has a hot dog, and now she can eat them.
LBGE, WSM 18.5, Smokin-It Model #1, Napoleon Prestige Gas Grill, MHP Grill, Purple and Red Thermapens
robbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2014, 12:29 AM   #30
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I rarely eat out in this day and age, unless I have to due to being out on the road.
About the only place I do go out to eat in this day and age is Fogo De Chao if it isn't because of necessity. I enjoy the atmosphere along with the food, and it doesn't affect me in a bad way.

Thanks from:--->