עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #31
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

That is high and ugly Lynn and we are fairly close to each other I will hate to see my butchers prices
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #32
oldbill
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMAJ View Post
The cattle industry has taken a hard hit over the last several years because of drought. Ranchers here in Texas and other areas of the country have been struggling to feed and water their herds and with limited vegetation growth there is also limited hay for winter time feed, (also resulting in much higher hay prices). The result has been early sell off of cattle to market for economic reasons and now I think that we may be seeing the aftermath. Now that the herds have been trimmed, there's less going to market and in-turn less beef available.
The law of supply and demand is rearing it's ugly head!

Unread 04-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #33
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

The uspide is, with extended short supplies, demand will naturally drop to meet supply, and once supply is back then we (hopefully) get to reap the benefits of lower cost meat! All of the fad BBQ folks will have moved on to....whatever fad is next. Coffee has already been done to death. I am guessing something crazy, like...hmmm...

Maybe spaghetti?
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #34
SPRfree
Full Fledged Farker

$6.99 a lb in northern NJ for brisket.
SPRfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #35
srfshane
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

A few media mentions that support what you're seeing:

srfshane is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #36
oldbill
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
The uspide is, with extended short supplies, demand will naturally drop to meet supply, and once supply is back then we (hopefully) get to reap the benefits of lower cost meat! All of the fad BBQ folks will have moved on to....whatever fad is next. Coffee has already been done to death. I am guessing something crazy, like...hmmm...

Maybe spaghetti?
Yeah, I'd like to see all the fad Q'ers just find a hobby out side of the culinary arts all together! How about... underwater basket weaving!
As for the rest of us a little farkin rain would be nice!!! I've got a stock tank that would usually hold four feet of water but has been bone dry with 2 ft. deep cracks on the bottom for three years! No rain and 100 plus degree temperatures year after year are killing us down here. Agriculture is suffering and wild fires are a constant threat as well. I lived in Bastrop County back in 2011 when the big fire hit. The whole place was one big tender box!
Corn farmers here and in other areas of the country are planting drought tolerant crops instead such as cotton and feed for livestock is a lot more expensive as a result. We're seeing higher prices for beef and pork and eventually poultry prices will rise as well.
I hear that we'll be entering an El-Nino weather pattern next year which usually equates to good rainfall for us, we can sure use it!

Unread 04-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #37
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

A local rancher here claims to have lost nearly $500,000 in beef (granted, I think he's probably talking retail dollars, not cost, but still) last year to wolves... and the state won't pay you anything for the animal unless you actually see the wolf attack it and can prove it's death was caused by a wolf.

Our elk population has suffered in similar ways due to wolves too, either being driven away from traditional migration routes or outright kills. Most of the time the wolf kills more for sport than sustenance, they love the hunt.

Unfortunately I think these higher prices at the super market create a bit of vicious circle, when the cost is higher, less is purchased leaving more to expire in the case thus creating more waste and lost profits, and that in turn makes them raise prices to recover their losses

We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #38
64Driver
Full Fledged Farker

Glad I ordered a 1/2 cow from the brother in law, only paying $3.10/pound including the processing. This is starting to get insane....
64Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #39
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I hear ya LM. I thought the same thing when I looked at the Giant circular this morning. That's actually cheap for grocery store prices around here. It sucks.

Giant's meat prices suck in general unless it's on sale. Last weekend I paid $30+ for 5lbs of chuck roast to make pepper stout beef.

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #40
smoke ninja
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
I will tell you but...

remember a while back when you were bragging about your butcher and when I asked who he was you would not tell anyone?

I get them at RD
Busted. I get briskets under 7 lbs, pre trimmed cab beef for $3.99/lbs. From Boffs market in warren. He'll cut whatever he can off the cow for you. I'll go spend my time in pb now.

Unread 04-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #41
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Busted. I get briskets under 7 lbs, pre trimmed cab beef for $3.99/lbs. From Boffs market in warren. He'll cut whatever he can off the cow for you. I'll go spend my time in pb now.
thats ok. I guessed it was Boff's.

just givin ya the business...
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michi...80?sk=timeline
ButtBurner is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #42
cowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Last weekend I paid $30+ for 5lbs of chuck roast to make pepper stout beef.
Dang...that is just SO wrong!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #43
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 2

well the meter is running at RD

pice is now 3.34 lb about .30 jump in a day

I bought 2, that will have to last me for a while.
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michi...80?sk=timeline
ButtBurner is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #44
dadsr4
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
A local rancher here claims to have lost nearly $500,000 in beef (granted, I think he's probably talking retail dollars, not cost, but still) last year to wolves... and the state won't pay you anything for the animal unless you actually see the wolf attack it and can prove it's death was caused by a wolf.

Our elk population has suffered in similar ways due to wolves too, either being driven away from traditional migration routes or outright kills. Most of the time the wolf kills more for sport than sustenance, they love the hunt.

Unfortunately I think these higher prices at the super market create a bit of vicious circle, when the cost is higher, less is purchased leaving more to expire in the case thus creating more waste and lost profits, and that in turn makes them raise prices to recover their losses
http://www.nbcmontana.com/news/monta...t-627/25323444
"Confirmed livestock depredations due to wolves included 50 cattle, 24 sheep, three horses and one goat in 2013, down 27 percent from 2012 loses of 67 cattle, 37 sheep, one dog, two horses and one llama. Cattle losses were the lowest recorded in the past seven years."

Unread 04-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #45
LMAJ

About a month ago I got a call from Big Al saying he had heard because of the drought that beef prices were going to go up, so I called my butcher to put in an order for some briskets to stock the freezer. I told the woman who answered the phone what I was looking for - had been paying $3.35 / pound for prime beef - a steal in this neck of the woods. She asked me if I was sure... the price had gone up.. so I asked... how much? $4.49/ pound when she could get them. Over a buck a pound over night. Hope this drought ends soon and we get back to normal. I will pay $4.49 occasionally for prime beef, but not $4.99 for choice. And I would bet you anything these are not packers.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1 18.5 new to me WSM
Super Fast BLUE and RED Thermapen
1 - The Great Outdoors Smoker Sea Bug cooker
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al