Yeah, I don't think so....

I think they are high on drugs. Why don't they just charge an arbitrary amount of .. let's say.. $9.99 /lb. That sounds good!

I agree. I don't thing so either. What's the world coming to paying that much for brisket?

...for what was long considered a throw away meat. I will speak with my wallet.

I guess this was the right year for this diet. Mostly because I'm eating less overall, now I don't cook briskest or butts anymore because it makes so much food which tends to make me have larger servings. What I do have is lean meat, though, fish or chicken, and while prices are up I'm not buying a lot, either...so I take that hit.

These prices might just make these healthier choices go long term!:becky:

:brick:
Ow!
:brick:
Hey!

May I ask where?

I picked up 13 lbs at Walmart as an impulse buy for 2.99/lbs today. I've paid slightly more for choice.

Good sources are hard to come buy, if you don't mind sharing.

I will tell you but...

remember a while back when you were bragging about your butcher and when I asked who he was you would not tell anyone?

I get them at RD

Jeanie is being nice, there is never a need to rustle. Sure, we all got to eat, but, we all don't have to eat beef when the price goes up. That is just plain stealing, and no compassion should be given.

These prices will be the new normal for a while, hard as it seems to accept.

Pork is the same too... Wegman's just raised their bone-in Butt price $.40 / lb.

Belly prices have gone through the roof.

I wanted to smoke 2 butts and a full packer this weekend but I'm not going to spend $100 for 3 pieces of meat.

I'll probably end up getting the 2 butts, a family pack of Italian snausages and some chicken quarters / halves for this weekend.

I'm heading to RD today to pick up a couple of briskets. I hope their prices haven't moved too far in that direction yet.

Living in Kansas, you don't clue what it's like dealing with these illegal criminals. Live near the border for a while and you will be singing a different tune. I don't mean to be rude.....it's just a fact. Don't be offended.

Hope I didn't offend, I wasn't attempting to trivialize this problem. As a matter of fact, I live in the heart of the Flint Hills of Kansas, which is very much cattle country. So, yes, I do have a clue. Many of my congregants are ranchers, and I know too well how the theft or demise of even a single calf hurts them - financially and emotionally. And, yes, cattle theft occurs here, frequently, often by the trailer load. It is not a crime localized just to the boarder.

So, please accept my apologies if I remodeled the old "Lucky the Pig" joke a bit. It was just in fun.

That is high and ugly Lynn and we are fairly close to each other I will hate to see my butchers prices

7fc8bfaf-fee2-47b4-b5e7-647efbae7f0b.jpg
The cattle industry has taken a hard hit over the last several years because of drought. Ranchers here in Texas and other areas of the country have been struggling to feed and water their herds and with limited vegetation growth there is also limited hay for winter time feed, (also resulting in much higher hay prices). The result has been early sell off of cattle to market for economic reasons and now I think that we may be seeing the aftermath. Now that the herds have been trimmed, there's less going to market and in-turn less beef available.
The law of supply and demand is rearing it's ugly head!:shock:

The uspide is, with extended short supplies, demand will naturally drop to meet supply, and once supply is back then we (hopefully) get to reap the benefits of lower cost meat! All of the fad BBQ folks will have moved on to....whatever fad is next. Coffee has already been done to death. I am guessing something crazy, like...hmmm...

Maybe spaghetti?

The uspide is, with extended short supplies, demand will naturally drop to meet supply, and once supply is back then we (hopefully) get to reap the benefits of lower cost meat! All of the fad BBQ folks will have moved on to....whatever fad is next. Coffee has already been done to death. I am guessing something crazy, like...hmmm...

Maybe spaghetti?
Yeah, I'd like to see all the fad Q'ers just find a hobby out side of the culinary arts all together! How about... underwater basket weaving!:wink:
As for the rest of us a little farkin rain would be nice!!! I've got a stock tank that would usually hold four feet of water but has been bone dry with 2 ft. deep cracks on the bottom for three years! No rain and 100 plus degree temperatures year after year are killing us down here. Agriculture is suffering and wild fires are a constant threat as well. I lived in Bastrop County back in 2011 when the big fire hit. The whole place was one big tender box!
Corn farmers here and in other areas of the country are planting drought tolerant crops instead such as cotton and feed for livestock is a lot more expensive as a result. We're seeing higher prices for beef and pork and eventually poultry prices will rise as well.
I hear that we'll be entering an El-Nino weather pattern next year which usually equates to good rainfall for us, we can sure use it!:shocked:

A local rancher here claims to have lost nearly $500,000 in beef (granted, I think he's probably talking retail dollars, not cost, but still) last year to wolves... and the state won't pay you anything for the animal unless you actually see the wolf attack it and can prove it's death was caused by a wolf.

Our elk population has suffered in similar ways due to wolves too, either being driven away from traditional migration routes or outright kills. Most of the time the wolf kills more for sport than sustenance, they love the hunt.

Unfortunately I think these higher prices at the super market create a bit of vicious circle, when the cost is higher, less is purchased leaving more to expire in the case thus creating more waste and lost profits, and that in turn makes them raise prices to recover their losses

Glad I ordered a 1/2 cow from the brother in law, only paying $3.10/pound including the processing. This is starting to get insane....

I hear ya LM. I thought the same thing when I looked at the Giant circular this morning. That's actually cheap for grocery store prices around here. It sucks.

Giant's meat prices suck in general unless it's on sale. Last weekend I paid $30+ for 5lbs of chuck roast to make pepper stout beef. :tsk:

I will tell you but...

remember a while back when you were bragging about your butcher and when I asked who he was you would not tell anyone?

I get them at RD

Busted. I get briskets under 7 lbs, pre trimmed cab beef for $3.99/lbs. From Boffs market in warren. He'll cut whatever he can off the cow for you. I'll go spend my time in pb now.

Back