THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TuscaloosaQ

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
My nephew brought me some bass fillets and I had some catfish so I decided to do a cook... I made the hushpuppies which my brother calls "shut up dogs". Tyler had been working on doing some custom work to the front end of our ford-350 welding rig and I had taken out time to build gates for my church that had a new access road built

making the hush puppies.... I never measure anything like this but for the sake of this thread I di a little measuring.... someone on our facebook page asked for the recipe for the hushpuppies so I will post it here.... don't knock em till you try em.... they are good

I used 1.5 cups of of self rising corn meal, 4 heaping tablespoons of plain flower... for the base.

here are the other ingredients... chopped onion, green bell pepper, jalaepno peppers, and one can of diced tomatoes... yes tomatoes. the tomatoes make most of the liquid to give it the consistency I want..... I have put in corn before too but not all the time.

I added garlic powder, black pepper, Tony's creole seasoning, cayenne pepper and 2 eggs... the seasonings were not measured, it is just what you personally like as far as amount goes.... after all this is mixed up I put in fridge for about 30 minutes... prolly do not have to but I do.... if it is to stiff then I cut with a little milk, buttermilk, or whatever....

mixed up... like I said it is some good stuff, never had nothing but good reviews

I cook my hushpuppies in a different pot than my fish because I cook them at a lower temp prolly 275 ,or 300 degrees just guessing

the biggest problem is it is hard not to overindulge before the fish are done!!!!!!

Fixing to fire the Cajun fryer up by RV works, this thing is the best fryer on earth.... 14 minutes and I am @ 350 degrees and can touch the bottom of the cooker with my hand.... I t does not burn the grease and you can cook up to 25 to 30 times with the same grease

this is what I use for my fish batter, I like a light batter not heavy .... I just doctor it up because I cannot leave well enough alone

Another gadget I like is from bass pro shop.... put the fish in and it is lightly battered and ready to roll

catfish on one side bass on the other

some bass are ready

Bo my Doberman is patiently waiting

catfish coming out

My best neighbor James smelled this fish and came running... actually I called him.... he feeds me all the time aint BETTER SOUL FOOD COOK IN AMERICA.... he is a good body guard too... If I aint at home you better not come milling around or he is going to show up... watches the place like a hawk!!!!!!!

me and James my bud!!!

Tyler, Ashley, Cody, and James

James with his to go box!!!

just a couple of pix of the work day.. Tyler rebuilt the front of our truck by building one of his bumpers........ I built a gate for our church

truck before

after added new LED headlights and bumper lights

gates for my church

the grass in getting green in Alabama

Last edited:
Dang, you're livin' the good life Paul!! Was hoping you'd post that hushpuppy recipe. Can't wait to give it a try. :thumb:
Everything looks fantastic!! Thanks for posting! :cool::-D

Damn that all looks good, thanks for sharing. Nothing better than sharing good chow with good friends and family. Well maybe a good cigar and scotch works too..................

Back