拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #16
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hard to say...sometimes things get weird. That is why they drop one score. I did similar with chicken, of course, that is not ribs. The best thing is to figure something went awry a bit, and work on texture, that box looks great though. Easy to see 9's in appearnace

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #17
MikeJ65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I agree a 2 is out of line. But, did the comment card say bloody or did it say raw? What I was getting at was you could have had an oddball piece, from an oddball bird,... and independent of whatever you did.... that one piece finished up with a bad texture (like maybe a bite that was springy and chewy, or one that was sticky and mushy) and that judge called it raw verses "under-cooked", or "chewy texture", etc.).

My story of getting a bad snotty thigh was just an example that happened to me.
No comment card. Normally that would be inexcusable, but I think it was while they had comments suspended with the implementation of KCBS Score.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #18
MikeJ65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillBillie_D View Post
Thanks!! We knew we were entering a stacked field of competitors. Getting a call was a huge confidence booster. Being our first 4 meat contest, we learned so much. No matter how prepared you think you are, you can never simulate the real thing. The pouring rain from 8AM on was a bit of a challenge but it was the same for everybody.

Can't wait to try again!

One interesting thing I found from reviewing the scores....the top 5 in ribs all came from the same table. Sounded strange to me. From looking at all the scores, it seems it was a hot table for all meats. I've heard of the table of death but it almost looked like it was 4 cold tables and one hot table. That one table had 1-2 in chicken, 1-2-3-4-5 in ribs, 3rd in pork, 3-4 in brisket. And of course, none of our 4 entries hit that table!!
Top five from one table seems out of line, especially when 6th was almost 5 full points behind. I always put more stock in where I finished at the table and who else was on that table.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #19
cdkeach
Knows what a fatty is.

I think in acknowledging that this was a Sam's Club contest you answered your own question.

Judges (certified KCBS, of course) are accepted based on who signs up first. No attention is paid to their experience.

We had a similar experience with a nutty judge at a Sam's Club event. After questioning the rep, who was not a regular in the region, we were told "sorry...I questioned the judge but can't require him to fill out a comment card".

Take it for what it's worth and move one. Don't beat yourself up.
cdkeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #20
LongTong
Full Fledged Farker

Default Attached firmly

As an MCBJ, I've had or seen at my table an instance of an undercooked rib entry when all the others from the same box were fine. It happened to my again a week ago. My bite was fairly chewy and need a good tug to get the bite free. Looking at my bite mark, nothing came off the bone at all. I gave 5 and 5 on T and T. Other judges had great ribs from the same entry. It does happen so quit whining and focus your energy on perfecting your ribs!

Old 03-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #21
Burnt at Both Endz
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTong View Post
As an MCBJ, I've had or seen at my table an instance of an undercooked rib entry when all the others from the same box were fine. It happened to my again a week ago. My bite was fairly chewy and need a good tug to get the bite free. Looking at my bite mark, nothing came off the bone at all. I gave 5 and 5 on T and T. Other judges had great ribs from the same entry. It does happen so quit whining and focus your energy on perfecting your ribs!
Nice to know that there's one MCBJ that knows the difference between 5 and 2.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #22
smoke-n-fire
On the road to being a farker

I hate that man, i highly doubt it was under cooked but unfortunately in the end it's up to the judge. Good luck next time!

Old 03-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #23
GrillBillie_D
On the road to being a farker

From what the reps told me, the judge refused to eat it because they thought it was raw...there is no test for ribs like there is with chicken. They said the only thing the judge could do was put a 2.

We are not beating ourselves up....we know it was cooked. Those 6 ribs were from the same rack and all in a row. It's not like we mixed & matched different racks.

We did get a comment card, which is when we saw the comment but did not get a visit from the reps. We tracked down the reps and they explained the judge refused to try it.

Next time, we'll just sauce up the sides.....then they gotta at least take a bite!!
Red Thermapen
GrillBillie_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #24
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

i could see if the judge bit it and said raw but just refusing to taste it does not sound right to me. after all the judge signed up for it. i say if a judge refuses then they disqualify themselves and as such disable themselves from making judgement and all nines should be given in such an event. i'm not sure but i think that is what is done if an entry is dropped by a judge.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2014, 08:15 AM   #25
BChawg
Knows what a fatty is.

Kindof hard to get pullback off the bone like that by grossly undercooking them -- just an observation -- That doesn't necessarily mean that a particular rib didn't leave something to be desired. I've seen the crazy score on brisket where I got all 9 and 8's and a 1 score on one. It was a mistake and had to be re input post contest! Stuff happens

Clark
BChawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #26
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Something is wrong with that particular contest. It is great for Sacramento to get a Sam's qualifier, but the judging is historically low and this makes you scratch your head harder.