Big Thanks and a Question...

vadawaii

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Wanted to thank the BBQ-Brethren!!! Been studying the boards here all week. Last night, I made some MOINK balls and Scotch eggs. Both delicious. I didn't post pr0n because I'm not certain the Scimeca (KC company) meatballs I used were 100% beef (I will be looking into it). Anyway, everything was delicious - however while studying, I overlooked the fact that thin bacon is better, and after a very very long time, just pulled them with the bacon not exactly crispy.

So today I'm smoking ribs and couple fattys. I went to get the fattys and I notice that ribs are looking a little dry...maybe they are in a normal range? I'm just too new to tell. I smoked last year with one freaking amazing result, several 'eh' results and a couple give-it-to-the-dogs results. But I was completely free-wheeling it, and am disregarding anything that happened then as useful information.

So anyway, I scoped around here for remedies and am still pretty much up in the air as to what to do. Is there something I can do NOW? What SHOULD I have done? and how do I tell for sure if I am getting in the dry-as-the-Sahara danger zone? What is this about spritzing? It was really about 50/50 on that, from what I could gather.
I will give details of the cook below.

Costco pork loin backribs (pkg in meat dept? not the Swift in cryovac)
Kettle grill, minion method. Charcoals (Kingsford Competition) banked around kettle 2 high and 2 wide. A few wood chunks on top here and there. Cast iron skillet with H2O in it nearest to one side as I can get it. Been running higher than I wanted at about 235, and I am about three hours in.

Any advice?

There's some time in the middle where they look dry, but they'll come around.. Pull them now and they'll be really tough. Wait until you can pick up one end with the tongs and the ribs droop almost 90 degrees to the tongs and you can see deep long cracks in the meat. That's when you're done. If you want them fall off the bone, let em go a little longer.

Welcome to the Brethren!

You could spritz them with apple juice and they won't look dry but it's not necessary...btw 235 is no where near too high.

Yep... They're fine. Let 'em ride and quit looking! :-D

Back