• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

10 Pound Pork Loin -- Need Recommendations

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I bought a nice 10 pound pork loin from Sam's Club earlier today, for $2.48/lb. (Btw, IBP pork butt has increased in price again. $1.59/lb for the case price, $1.98/lb for the 2 pack price.)

I am going to use half of it for Canadian Bacon.

I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on what I should do with the other half. I'd like to try a couple tasty recipes in addition to the bacon.

I bought a nice 10 pound pork loin from Sam's Club earlier today, for $2.48/lb. (Btw, IBP pork butt has increased in price again. $1.59/lb for the case price, $1.98/lb for the 2 pack price.)

I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on what I should do with the other half. I'd like to try a couple tasty recipes in addition to the bacon.

Cut pork chops 1.25" thick and stuff with goodies and grill.

Well...I WAS bitching about the $1.59 case price here, but I would have lost my mind if I saw 1.98/lb per pair!!!!! It's 1.78 here and I started stomping and fussing as soon as I saw it. I picked up a couple packer briskets at 2.79/lb instead.

Just found name brand whole roaster chx for $.79 / pound today

Try rubbing with coffee grounds, cocoa powder, paprika, and salt. Tie with twine and grill. One of my favorite Steven Raichlen recipes from his Primal Grill show. Serve with his red-eye gravy.

Well...I WAS bitching about the $1.59 case price here, but I would have lost my mind if I saw 1.98/lb per pair!!!!! It's 1.78 here and I started stomping and fussing as soon as I saw it. I picked up a couple packer briskets at 2.79/lb instead.

Where are you getting your meat, Neighbor?

JP

I cut about 6 - 8 inch piece off, put your favorite rib rub on it, and smoke it with cherry or apple wood to about 145° IT. Wrap it in aluminum foil. Let it rest for about 10 - 15 minutes.

Slice off some awsome pork chopps :)

Chris

I'll take a roast off the big end, if needed, but I usually cut most of a Sam's pork loin into 1 1/2" steaks and cube up the end with the dark meat and make the following:

Green Chili with Pork (Chili Verde)

Ingredients
2½ lbs pork, cubed
6 Pasilla chilies (those dark, fat forest green ones)
4 Anaheim chilies (longer, skinny grass-green ones)
2 Serrano chilies (look like little, dark jalapenos), sliced thinly
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbl ground cumin
1 tbl dried Mexican oregano (can use regular)
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
Olive oil as needed for searing meat
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation
Blacken all chilies (except Serrano; leave those raw) by holding with tongs over a gas flame or roasting under a broiler. Place in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let cool. Once cool to the touch, carefully peel skin off all peppers. Remove as many of the seeds as you can, roughly chop chilies and let stand.

Rub pork with cumin, salt and pepper, sear in a large stock pot, remove to a plate. Sauté onions, garlic and sliced Serrano chilies until softened. Add pork back in, then chilies and oregano. Add broth and water and bring to a simmer. Simmer slowly for 2-3 hours for a soup/stew consistency, or 4-6 hours for a thicker consistency perfect for a green chili burrito.

I'll take a roast off the big end, if needed, but I usually cut most of a Sam's pork loin into 1 1/2" steaks and cube up the end with the dark meat and make the following:

Green Chili with Pork (Chili Verde)

Ingredients
2½ lbs pork, cubed
6 Pasilla chilies (those dark, fat forest green ones)
4 Anaheim chilies (longer, skinny grass-green ones)
2 Serrano chilies (look like little, dark jalapenos), sliced thinly
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbl ground cumin
1 tbl dried Mexican oregano (can use regular)
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
Olive oil as needed for searing meat
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation
Blacken all chilies (except Serrano; leave those raw) by holding with tongs over a gas flame or roasting under a broiler. Place in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let cool. Once cool to the touch, carefully peel skin off all peppers. Remove as many of the seeds as you can, roughly chop chilies and let stand.

Rub pork with cumin, salt and pepper, sear in a large stock pot, remove to a plate. Sauté onions, garlic and sliced Serrano chilies until softened. Add pork back in, then chilies and oregano. Add broth and water and bring to a simmer. Simmer slowly for 2-3 hours for a soup/stew consistency, or 4-6 hours for a thicker consistency perfect for a green chili burrito.

That sounds extremely delicious!

I have lots of recipes to try now -- I really appreciate it!

On a boneless porkloin, their is a fatter end, and a skinny end, the skinny end is the rib end. If it were beef, you'd call it rib-eye, or rib roast. That little 7"-9" piece of pig heaven is spectacular. You can cut that into 1" or so chops, and grill, roast it the way you would do prime rib, or chunk it up with some onion soup mix in the crockpot, also very good. The fat end has more tendons, and will look a little more knarly, but not to worry, butterfly that first 4" or so about 1/4' thick, season with your favorite grill rub, amd voila, boneless grilled pork tenderloin. You want to save the center most 10"-12" for your Canadian Bacon.

On a boneless porkloin, their is a fatter end, and a skinny end, the skinny end is the rib end. If it were beef, you'd call it rib-eye, or rib roast. That little 7"-9" piece of pig heaven is spectacular. You can cut that into 1" or so chops, and grill, roast it the way you would do prime rib, or chunk it up with some onion soup mix in the crockpot, also very good. The fat end has more tendons, and will look a little more knarly, but not to worry, butterfly that first 4" or so about 1/4' thick, season with your favorite grill rub, amd voila, boneless grilled pork tenderloin. You want to save the center most 10"-12" for your Canadian Bacon.

Last time I had a full loin, I cut the middle 1/2 or so into thick pork chops for the grill and treated the ends as roasts on the smoker. It all turned out fantastic.

Back