喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Food Scale

Looking to buy a food scale. My local BB&B has this one. Anyone have a better recommendation or use this one?

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...d=food%2bscale

WWW.QCOMPANYSMOKERS.COM
CBJ 56048
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
K Renas
Found some matches.

Check out the Kitchen Scale section at AmericanWeigh.com. Good prices and lots of different form factors to choose from.
K Renas is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
AlwaysSmokey
On the road to being a farker

the one ya found is the one i got,.... no complaints. course' mine was a x-mas gift so I got to skip the whole 50 buck thing. or......wait.............. the wife got it for me sooooo...........I guess I paid 50 for it . Anyways,.. works great!!

Unread 03-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
legendaryhog
Take a breath!

If you want to save some money, get a digital postal scale off amazon (or whatever). They are cheaper than food scales and you can find ones that measure within 2 grams. Use that for weighing your heavier items (meat, veg, etc.). Then also buy a jewelry scale. Use this for measuring spices, cure, rub, etc. They are cheap and highly accurate. You will like both better than a food scale, especially the jewelry scale as the food scale doesn't measure as precisely (super important if you are making Charcuterie). You will definitely not spend $50. Buy both scales and use the rest of your $50 on a good case of beer.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 2

Harbor Freight has a good digital scale for about $15
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michi...80?sk=timeline
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abangs View Post
Looking to buy a food scale. My local BB&B has this one. Anyone have a better recommendation or use this one?

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...d=food%2bscale
That's way too much to spend for an 11 pound scale. You can get a 17 pound scale for less on Amazon :

or this one (it goes up to 15 pounds):

The 11 pound cap is a bit inconvenient especially when there is a need to weigh a large pork butt or brisket. (including the weight of the plate it sits on).

I have one I bought for $15 of Amazon that has a 11 pound cap. I'd like to upgrade one day.

Unread 03-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
bignburlyman
is one Smokin' Farker

For myself I have a scale with a higher weight limit, I think mine is a 35 pound scale. Not at home so can't check for sure.

I buy meat by the case and like to weigh each item so I know what they weigh individually and an 11 pound weight limit would be too low. I have this scale saved in my Amazon wishlist but even 18 pounds is a little too low for the big meats.

CBJ & CTC #5112
Kansas Winter Q BBQ Committee

Traeger Texas 075

Family: Where Life Begins, and Love Never Ends.

bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignburlyman View Post
For myself I have a scale with a higher weight limit, I think mine is a 35 pound scale. Not at home so can't check for sure.

I buy meat by the case and like to weigh each item so I know what they weigh individually and an 11 pound weight limit would be too low. I have this scale saved in my Amazon wishlist but even 18 pounds is a little too low for the big meats.

Amazon.com: Ozeri Touch Professional Digital Kitchen Scale (18 lbs Edition), Tempered Glass in Elegant Black: Kitchen & Dining
Nice. I missed that one :)

EDIT: Wait.. I guess I disregarded it because of its smaller base. The two I mentioned above have larger bases. I'd like one with a large base and weighs a lot.

Unread 03-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I got mine at Harbor freight for 15.00 Dual voltage and handles 11 lb weighs Grams Ounces and Lbs. and that is flour residue on it

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-scale-95364.html

Unread 03-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
cmseeley
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 5

I agree with the others on 2 separate scales.

I use this for weighing food/meat. It is on the small side, wish it were bigger. Will definitely be upgrading to something bigger in the near future, but it has served my purpose.

I use this one for weighing my spices herbs, salts, ect.

AND there is always the bathroom scale. LOL

Chris
cmseeley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Well Crap!! This thread is a day late!! I just bought this one based on the great reviews.

The biggest butts I find around here are 8-9 lbs each. The only thing bigger is a brisket but why would you weight it? The weight is on the package, if your looking for trimmed weight just weigh the trimmings you took off and do the math. Is it more the physical size of the unit make it difficult to use?

I bought the one above for making bacon or sausage. I don't envision batches of more than about 10 lbs at a time. Even if I did, I would have to do it in batches (I don't have commercial size kitchen equipment).

Did I miss the boat here? Do I need to order another scale immeadiately? Oh no...what have I done!?!?!?!?

Unread 03-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

How are you going to use it?

http://www.basspro.com/Open-Country-...duct/10209511/

I got this one for inventory and to use when I start making sausage. Same price as the one in the OP, 150# capacity.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #13
GARNAAL
Take a breath!

Default I have this one from Amazon and like it a lot..

have used this one for a couple of years..
great scale.. like that it displays in US or Metric weight units..
$25 ... click on picture to see the add..

• Easy to use multifunction home scale - Perfect for cooks, dieters and families
  • Max weight 11lbs; Displays ounces/lbs/grams/kgs; Graduation .05 oz / 1 gram
  • Tare feature eliminates the weight of a plate; 3 Minute Auto-Shutoff lets you prepare ingredients while maintaining battery life
  • 2 AAA batteries included; 100% EatSmart Guaranteed Satisfaction

Unread 03-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
bignburlyman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyA65 View Post
Well Crap!! This thread is a day late!! I just bought this one based on the great reviews.

Amazon.com: EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale, Silver: Kitchen & Dining

The biggest butts I find around here are 8-9 lbs each. The only thing bigger is a brisket but why would you weight it? The weight is on the package, if your looking for trimmed weight just weigh the trimmings you took off and do the math. Is it more the physical size of the unit make it difficult to use?

I bought the one above for making bacon or sausage. I don't envision batches of more than about 10 lbs at a time. Even if I did, I would have to do it in batches (I don't have commercial size kitchen equipment).

Did I miss the boat here? Do I need to order another scale immeadiately? Oh no...what have I done!?!?!?!?
The meat I buy by the case does not have the individual weights on each piece of meat. The only weight is the total case weight on the outside of the box.
CBJ & CTC #5112
Kansas Winter Q BBQ Committee

Traeger Texas 075

Family: Where Life Begins, and Love Never Ends.

bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
IamMadMan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I got mine at Harbor freight for 15.00 Dual voltage and handles 11 lb weighs Grams Ounces and Lbs. and that is flour residue on it

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-scale-95364.html
I bought this one on Bludawgs recommendation six months ago.....

A great scale for a fraction of what the others cost.