喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #16
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Here's a poll I did on rib temps

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=182803

I'll be watching yours
Your poll was more thought out than mine!

Unread 03-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #17
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think the discussion is not just about HnF, but, about a lot more openness in regards to achieving good results over a large array of cooking over live fire.

One of the things that really hacked me off about many forums, including cooking ones, were the people that purposely mislead. BBQ cooks that posted recipes or techniques that I knew could not work, gardeners that would purposely post soil methods that could not work and fishermen that would leave out key details, or flat out lie about things. I found this to be true in the real world as well. This is one of the best things about here, the folks who don't want to tell, just don't tell. Those that are willing to help, help openly and honestly.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #18
Redleg71
On the road to being a farker

Point of order. Is a 25 degree move from 225 to 250 really considered going from low and slow to hot and fast? I thought hot and fast would most definately have to be closer to the 300 degree and over range.

Unread 03-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #19
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I think the discussion is not just about HnF, but, about a lot more openness in regards to achieving good results over a large array of cooking over live fire.

One of the things that really hacked me off about many forums, including cooking ones, were the people that purposely mislead. BBQ cooks that posted recipes or techniques that I knew could not work, gardeners that would purposely post soil methods that could not work and fishermen that would leave out key details, or flat out lie about things. I found this to be true in the real world as well. This is one of the best things about here, the folks who don't want to tell, just don't tell. Those that are willing to help, help openly and honestly.
You're right, it's not just about HnF compared to low and slow. It's about the willingness to share truthful information, having people try the truthful information then going out and teaching and telling others.

I can't stand people who mislead. It would be better if they just refused to offer any information. But you have people who dang sure will give you misinformation, leave out critical aspects of a recipe or method.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #20
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg71 View Post
Point of order. Is a 25 degree move from 225 to 250 really considered going from low and slow to hot and fast? I thought hot and fast would most definately have to be closer to the 300 degree and over range.
I'm not sure but I definitely could tell the difference in cooking time. At 225 I was cooking spare ribs for 5 1/2 to 6 hrs. At 250 I finish them in 4 to 4 1/2.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #21
Redleg71

There should be a standards committee to define LnS vs. HnF. We should then have these definitions and standards buried deep within the brethern website.

Unread 03-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #22
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I think you have to be 265F-280F to be Medium and Moderate, the spot I most often cook at.

Sometimes I am at 285F to 295F, I call that Non-Committal and Fast-ish. My understanding is that Dizzy Pig is coming out with rubs designed for this method, called Dizzy Pig Ish rubs, I can't wait

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #23
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

The other cool thing about this site is that it let me know the difference in smokers... Our little Lang settles in nicely between 225* and 250*, while my buddy's Backwoods Party likes the 250*spot. He cooks hotter because it works better with his smoker.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
BSKD Gretchen
22.5 OTG Samantha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #24
smoke ninja
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm gonna say low and slow ends at 250* with a 25* margin of error for varibles.

Proud to be part of Michigan Custom Que
smoke ninja is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #25
mtm29575
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
This forum puts so much diverse information out there that it's provided different avenues and methods for Q'ers to try and experiment. People have found solutions to many of their Q'n problems then they go and share it with others. I know the reason I changed from 225 to 250+ was time. I found there wasn't any difference in the flavor of my Q and it was finished in less time. Win for me.

I'm still new to smoking, having always been a griller, but Bamabuzzard stated my sentiments exactly. I've had to go higher in temp several times, but it was because of time constraints. But I found my butts cooked at 250-275 really just as tasty as my 225-250 ones. The only disadvantage I found in my higher temps was the quicker time reduced the amount of alcohol I got to consume waiting on the butt to finish!

Unread 03-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #26
Redleg71

Whats the method called where you start at 225, leave, come back, and its dropped to 165. So to correct you open the vents to get the pit back up to 225 but you already started drinking beers so you forget to check the temp periodically and you discover 2-3 hours later that its over 350. Whats that called?

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #27
smoke ninja
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Your poll was more thought out than mine!
I've had to learn through trial how to make them out. As you learned details are important. Give more choices than you think you need but don't try to list every possible response imaginable. These farkers will always pick apart the choices, it's like wishes from a magic lamp. If you leave one detail out they will exploite the technicalities in it, foil shiny side or out? If this happens or someone answers both it is best to shoot laser beams at them or drop o load of bricks on their head. It doesn't help but it's fun.

Most of all have fun with em.

Proud to be part of Michigan Custom Que
smoke ninja is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #28
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep South View Post
Having the option for hot and fast is the best part. I'm a die hard 225 guy but I have done a brisket and a butt using the hot and fast method when I was pushed for time. BOTH turned out better than I anticipated.

^^^^ That right there is where i landed... i stay at 225-250 when Im out for a theraputic cook... and 275-315 when im hungry.

Quote:
Whats the method called where you start at 225, leave, come back, and its dropped to 165. So to correct you open the vents to get the pit back up to 225 but you already started drinking beers so you forget to check the temp periodically and you discover 2-3 hours later that its over 350. Whats that called?

Ummmm.. i call that summer. :)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #29
Redleg71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
^^^^ That right there is where i landed... i stay at 225-250 when Im out for a theraputic cook... and 275-315 when im hungry.

Ummmm.. i call that summer. :)
What is this "summer" that you speak off

Unread 03-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #30
toymaster
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 2

When that happens to me , my friends tell me I'm having a "senior moment"
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote