MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
Mxited
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Today I Learned.....

What pig honey looks like.
What the weeping ribs look like.
What the probe test does.
What great ribs really taste and feel like.

Thanks to some contributions on this forum, I smoked the best ribs I've ever done. I have failed many times to the point that I shy away from ribs. From undercooked to terrible tasting. I decided after some reading that the BGE deserved a shot at the ribs.

Settled it at 300 degrees and with indirect heat added the dry rubbed baby backs. Did not remove the sinew. After a couple of hours the color was a beautiful golden red and the surface was dry. After another hour I saw some of that famous pig honey weeping in small patches. Within another 20 minutes, they were oozing so I began to probe every 20 minutes. At around the third time probing with a toothpick--well, like a knife through butter. I closed all the vents and let them rest during 30 minutes of cool down. Jerked them out of the BGE and the rest is history. Can't wait to try it again.
Mxited is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

There ya go - congrats!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
Bigr314
Babbling Farker

I read that method also. I must try it. Was it hard to determine when the oozing happens?
Shirley Fabrication 24x50 RF with warmer(Boss Hogg)

Tab Benoit- Must listen to this artist. A cross between southern blues,Stevie Ray, and Louisiana cajun. Great listening while having a brew and tending the stick burner.
Bigr314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

That ah ha moment. I need to try that, I'm a glutton for foil.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
Mxited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigr314 View Post
I read that method also. I must try it. Was it hard to determine when the oozing happens?
Not at all. You can see the juices glazing the ribs. I used a dry rub and the ribs went from looking dry to a shiny-oiled look.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #6
SmittyJonz

Peep this BigR314
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GbBFZstQRUY

Old 02-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
Mxited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offthehook View Post
That ah ha moment. I need to try that, I'm a glutton for foil.
I have always foiled until now. If I duplicate the results I will never foil my ribs again. I thought foil and some type of liquid was a must but that is not the case, however, I have read many success stories using the 3-2-1 method although I always had mixed results.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
landarc

great for you. Yeah, BGE's are rib machines

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Way to go.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #10
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

I am right there with you. I used to foil and got OK results. I started foiling one rack and leaving the other bare. For 3 consecutive cooks I preferred the unfolied to the foiled. No going back for me.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

I have never produced what I thought to be great ribs but I read the post from a week or so ago and it caught my attention. I intend to try it in the near future.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
SuperQue
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Stone Cold Grillers

Sounds awesome. I've never paid much attention to the pig honey but it makes sense.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #13
dadsr4

By sinew do you mean the membrane? How did it come out? I've never had it become palatable.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #14
Mxited

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
By sinew do you mean the membrane? How did it come out? I've never had it become palatable.
Yes, the membrane on the back side of the ribs. Although it wasn't unnoticeable, it was no problem eating it or simply eating everything around it. I may try removing it on the next cook, but I can't help think that it prevents a lot of the honey from escaping to the drip pan. I believe that the goal is for the juices to rise through the fibers of the meat and help tenderize it as it moves up. Of course, I'm sure there could be some science that proves or disproves my opinion.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #15
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

Glad it turned out well. You may want to only remove the sinew if you are cooking at a lower temperature 250-275. This is because as the higher temperatures it tends to get a little crunchy (good thing I my opinion) but at lower temps its like chicken skin - it is noticeable only because it may be a little chewy on the underside. IMHO

Tags
bge, pig honey, ribs, weeping