Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #31
somebody shut me the fark up.

Scout your parks and golf courses for pecan and fruit trees. Every time the wind blows get out and pick up the limbs. Peel the bark and let cure. Snap and use in SJ for added smoke if desired. The snapped small limbs work great. Pecan shells work well also.
Blackstone 2-Burner, Primo Oval XL, Tiernan SOB,
The Pit Barrel Cooker, Big Green Egg-Mini, 4 Webers, Lodge Sportsman, Cobb Cooker
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #32
is One Chatty Farker

Do you have a weber chimney? If not ya gotta get one. She'll be by your side as you go bigger and bigger in your charcoal adventure.

Looks like you're on a very fast track to grilling happiness!
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #33
Babbling Farker

Your ribeye steak is making me drool
18.5" WSM and 22.5" OTG.
bbqgeekess is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #34
Found some matches.

Checking out doitbest now. And yes I got a chimney, I would never think of using lighter fluid again after using the chimney! I plan on doing the little mod to the bottom vent handle once I get an appropriate drill bit to drill into the metal.

One question I'm not as clear on though - you've said I could use chips in a foil pouch with holes poked around it, but when using this method are you still required to soak the chips in water like you would have a wood chunk for the charcoal? Probably a stupid question.
Nitsua is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2014, 10:52 PM   #35
is one Smokin' Farker

There's no need to put the wood chips in water. Just poke holes all in the foil and throw it on top of the coals. They will work if you put them directly on the coals ( no foil). There's no 1 right way.
WSM 18.5, 22.5" Weber OTS, SJG Mini,
Maverick et733

Transplanted Texan

grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 01:26 AM   #36
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Those rib eyes look yumtacular!
IslandBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #37
Full Fledged Farker

All of it looks good to me. Have you tried a brine for your chicken? Seems to work wonders for me.
Meat Rushmore BBQ Team
midwest_kc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #38
Found some matches.

Haven't done a brine yet, but I looked into them. And I just looked up caveman steaks, and that is definitely something I will be trying in the near future.
Nitsua is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #39
is one Smokin' Farker

You're doing great, everything looks delicious! If you plan on keeping that Smokey joe for grilling don't google mini wsm
UDS, Weber kettle-OTG 22.5, Weber kettle-OTG 18.5, Mini-WSM
AaronPo is offline   Reply With Quote