The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default BBQ'ing some Beef Shoulder ($1.99/lb) [Question]

Sprouts was having a sale on 85% lean ground beef last week for $1.99/lb. The butcher sold me the chunks of shoulder they get in cryo packs, that they grind up for this ground beef there at the store, for the same price: $1.99/lb.

I am BBQ'ing a small portion of one of these shoulders now. It's at around 160F.

I think I want to slice this meat instead of pulling it. Would I not foil it in this case? And at what internal temperature should I cut it? How long do I let it rest first?

It's smelling good and has a nice bark going on at least.

Last edited by bbqgeekess; 01-23-2014 at 09:09 PM..
bbqgeekess is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
sliding_billy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Do you know what cut of the shoulder it is (clod, chuck roll)? Either way, yes I would wrap (I use butcher paper when I do clod). Shoulder is greatly helped by braising. Don't go by an internal temp. When it probes tender, it is ready to slice. That is normally somewhere above 195 for reference. Let it rest at least an hour (until the internal temp has quit climbing and started to drop again before wrapping it).

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-23-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for the next time I cook it. I finished this one (ended up slicing at around 190-195).

I followed up in this thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=180097

Unread 01-24-2014, 03:24 AM   #4
sliding_billy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Saw the final. Turned out really nice. Sorry I didn't get to you a little earlier. Since you were eating it immediately, I don't think it suffered too much from (possibly) being pulled a little early. The only other thing I would recommend next time is thinner slices. Like brisket flat, the thinner slices really work better.