ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #16
ShizuokaMark
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Mark, good luck on your new venture. True BBQ would be quite unique in Japan and the Japanese love to latch on to something new, especially from the U.S. I lived in Yokohama for nearly 20 years, and I have never seen an American style BBQ joint, even around US military bases there. I think you've got something there and I smell success.
Like Italian wood fired pizza ovens in just a handful of pizzerias in Japan, a smoker would be quite something there. That would be awesome.
Shizuoka no ocha takusan nonde gambatte kudasai ne.... :)
Arigatou gozaimasu!!

As you well know, Japanese love BBQ but do it only with direct heat.
I've been here seven and a half years and only know of three places that are cueing low and slow. Two of them have gone the high end fine dining route while the other is Japanese owned and, like the numerous attempts at American burger joints, really lacks in authenticity.

Hopefully when we're fully up and running I'll coerce folks to come over and visit us. The 2020 Olympics aren't that far off and we're just an hour and half from Tokyo by bullet train.
ShizuokaMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #17
Sevengoals
On the road to being a farker

Sounds great Mark, good luck!
Sevengoals is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #18
southpaw_1979
Knows what a fatty is.

I have been to Japan five times and do not recall seeing low and slow style barbecue, though I have never really looked. I have eaten at some of the japanese style bbq places, (hibachi grill type and horumonyaki).
Good luck with the restaurant. I have yet to get to your area, but maybe next time and I can stop in for dinner. I'm sure that it will be a hit.

Unread 01-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would really consider a unit such as a Spicewine, the insulation and efficiency cannot be beat. Using Binchotan, even in Japan will not be cheap, a UDS runs through 10-12 pounds of charcoal for a typical cook. They are not insulated and during cold weather, will burn even more fuel. The insulated cabinets, of which there are many clones as well, are zero clearance units, that burn very little fuel, as little as 2 to 3 pounds and are very space efficient.

My experience with running a kitchen, is that you get as much as you spend, buy cheap equipment and you will fight it everyday, making cooking a chore. Buy good equipment and you can focus on your customers and food. If nothing else, search this forum for backwoods clone. You can have an experienced metal fabricator make one of these up very quickly.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #20
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizuokaMark View Post
As you well know, Japanese love BBQ but do it only with direct heat.
Yes, I hear ya. Everything is yaki this yaki that, it seems. I love the street vendors thou... I even frabricated an all steel, 3 foot long yakitori grill.
And as you mentioned, authenticity is often lacking in many American style eateries in Japan.....whereas this is often not the case here in the US with Japanese restaurants (depending on area and demographics), especially with izakayas which I regularly frequent and there are quite a few of them here in LA.
Okonomiyaki joints are quite rare here. I know of only one and have eaten there several times, quite authentic with an extensive menu containing okonomiyaki from different regions of Japan, including desserts you'll never find in Japanese restaurants here. Now, those guys are constantly busy.

Unread 01-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #21
landarc

Carbon, that is in L.A., I can tell you that up here in the S.F. Bay Area, there is precious little of the flavors I grew up with. Most of the places here have made the food more familiar to Americans. There are just a few places in S.F. and San Jose that really get it. That being said, I have never been to Japan, so the food I know is over a century old.

Unread 01-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #22
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I can tell you that up here in the S.F. Bay Area, there is precious little of the flavors I grew up with. Most of the places here have made the food more familiar to Americans.
Even here in LA, many sushi joints, for example, including many in Little Tokyo don't even use wasabi in their sushi.

Unread 01-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #23
ShizuokaMark
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I would really consider a unit such as a Spicewine, the insulation and efficiency cannot be beat. Using Binchotan, even in Japan will not be cheap, a UDS runs through 10-12 pounds of charcoal for a typical cook. They are not insulated and during cold weather, will burn even more fuel. The insulated cabinets, of which there are many clones as well, are zero clearance units, that burn very little fuel, as little as 2 to 3 pounds and are very space efficient.

My experience with running a kitchen, is that you get as much as you spend, buy cheap equipment and you will fight it everyday, making cooking a chore. Buy good equipment and you can focus on your customers and food. If nothing else, search this forum for backwoods clone. You can have an experienced metal fabricator make one of these up very quickly.
Thanks. Considering Spicewine has come in with a shipping cost under $800, I may have to SERIOUSLY consider that option.

Last edited by ShizuokaMark; 01-23-2014 at 06:42 PM..

Unread 01-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #24
pjayt
Full Fledged Farker

Here is 2 pictures of Brinkman trailmaster 57"vertical sold only by Home Depot
less than $300.00 usd shipping weight around 130lbs has to be assembled
so it comes in a box. Requires some work to better seal all the seems but cooks really well would make a good pattern to build one by and takes up very little room. The metal is thin mine is 6 mo old and holding up well for what it is.
Lone star grill makes what appears to be a really good one that dosen't take much space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130717_223103 (1).jpg (61.0 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 20130717_222952.jpg (77.3 KB, 143 views)
gaser converted to charcoal
Maverick Pro Temp PT100
Weston Pro-2300 vacuum packer
KCBS

Last edited by pjayt; 01-23-2014 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: spelling
pjayt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2014, 03:28 AM   #25
StickyD
Got Wood.

Also look into any customs, VAT and/or duties charged on importing goods from the USA, which will be added on top of the shipping fee. I can't speak for Japan, but in Europe you also need a business license and a custom's tax ID (connected to your businesses tax ID). This is free, but is a bureaucratic series of hoops.

As a small bar and restaurant owner myself, I can only agree with you on staying small and simple (for a 3 day op) until you have to inve$t in bigger and better equipment. Because of cash flow, we slowly built out our kitchen over a span of two years, and it's now pretty well suited to what the client-side demands of us. If we'd had a big loan and did the build out at the beginning, we'd be stuck with a kitchen that would not have been as efficient. Best of luck, it sounds like you're putting all the right thought into the process!

Unread 01-24-2014, 04:30 AM   #26
ShizuokaMark
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyD View Post
Also look into any customs, VAT and/or duties charged on importing goods from the USA, which will be added on top of the shipping fee. I can't speak for Japan, but in Europe you also need a business license and a custom's tax ID (connected to your businesses tax ID). This is free, but is a bureaucratic series of hoops.

As a small bar and restaurant owner myself, I can only agree with you on staying small and simple (for a 3 day op) until you have to inve$t in bigger and better equipment. Because of cash flow, we slowly built out our kitchen over a span of two years, and it's now pretty well suited to what the client-side demands of us. If we'd had a big loan and did the build out at the beginning, we'd be stuck with a kitchen that would not have been as efficient. Best of luck, it sounds like you're putting all the right thought into the process!
Thank you for the advice and encouraging words.
Imports fees and taxes are something I'm aware of but know nothing about.
Spicewine's reasonable quote of $763 shipping on a medium vertical means I may have to do some research on them now. I already have the business license as I've been running a small English school for a few years but I doubt that would be a big deal anyways because the smoker size I want is a typical backyard unit for most people. I can just say it's for personal use.

Glad to hear that your business has seen growth and I hope that trend continues!

Unread 01-24-2014, 04:49 AM   #27
Phubar

If I were you I would also sell some Japanese style BBQ Phood next to the US.
A nice smoked teriyaki porkbelly sandwich for example.

Good luck!

All fueled by Ecobrasa Coco Briquettes

*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #28
BBQ_MAFIA
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

You can't go wrong with a Spicewine.
The cooker is a beast and will out last all of us. Spicewine construction is top notch!
A medium is a fantastic size as it should cover your needs while it holds rock solid temps.
The unit will cook away for hours without having to be refueled allowing you to spend time taking
care of customers and other things like sleep!
I have attached a photo of my Large Spicewine with only 2 of its 4 racks loaded with Pork Butts.
I know you are not looking at a Large but I love this cooker and always want to share my pics of it.
Good luck with your business and finding the cooker that works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizuokaMark View Post
Spicewine's reasonable quote of $763 shipping on a medium vertical means I may have to do some research on them now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spicewine.jpg (28.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Spicewine 2.jpg (45.2 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Spicewine Butts 3.jpg (41.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Spicewine Butts 2.jpg (37.1 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Spicewine Butts 1.jpg (67.5 KB, 106 views)

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #29
landarc

A friend and I have been discussing the idea of forming a charity BBQ organization, and Spicewine cookers are at the top of my list (my potential partner disagrees) of cookers that I would want for that purpose. I don't understand how he can get the price for shipping that low. They are heavy, solid and function incredibly well.

It's not my money, but, it would be a no-brainer for me.

Unread 01-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #30
ncstan
On the road to being a farker

Wishing You well with Your venture .

Tags
spicewine