oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #1
Smoke Point
Found some matches.

Default Albuquerque - BBQ recommendations?

We're heading to Albuquerque NM for a couple weeks for work. Due to family obligations, we're doing the drive down in one shot, and back will probably be a long weekend of driving, so I'll probably only be able to work in 1 or 2 stops for bbq on the way. We'll be heading to the Grand Canyon one weekend as well.

Anyone have a recommendation for good bbq either in the Albuquerque area or along the way?

We'll be coming down from Wisconsin. I'm willing to go out of my way for good bbq.

Thanks
Smoke Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've spent a fair amount of time in Albuquerque I can't think of one joint. The Mex grub is awesome & plentiful.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #3
Okie Sawbones
is One Chatty Farker

Rudy's Country Store used to have good BBQ in Albuquerque. Heading west towards the Grand Canyon puts you in good Mexican food country, like Genaro's in Gallup, and the Turquoise Room in Winslow. In Flagstaff is an eclectic joint called Satchmo's, which had good BBQ and Cajun food. Have fun. I used to make this drive quite a bit when living in Oklahoma.
My cooking family - 48" Jambo Pit Clone, Blaz'n Grill Works Gridiron Pellet, Primo XL Ceramic, Weber 22" with Smokenator, Lynx 36" SS Grill, Lynx Wok Burner, Charbroil The Big Easy, Weston 36" Upright, Cambro 400, DigiQ DX2, Maverick ET732
PNWBA - CBJ
KCBS - CBJ
DAV, VFW
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
Smoke Point
Found some matches.

thanks for the recommendations. I think we'll be going to Kansas City on the way down so I'll have to get my barbecue fix there. I'm looking forward some of that good Mex food too
Old 01-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
Smoke Point
Found some matches.

stopped in Altoona Iowa at Jethro s BBQ. apparently it's a local chain and very much a sports bar. I Got ribs, pulled pork and brisket. the ribs were good, the pulled pork was dry and the brisket was OK. overall not bad but I probably wouldn't go to my way for it. Baked beans were pretty good.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Point View Post
stopped in Altoona Iowa at Jethro s BBQ. apparently it's a local chain and very much a sports bar. I Got ribs, pulled pork and brisket. the ribs were good, the pulled pork was dry and the brisket was OK. overall not bad but I probably wouldn't go to my way for it. Baked beans were pretty good.
Jethros sucks. You should have gone a couple more stops west and gone to Smokey D's.

As for Albq. skip the BBQ and eat Mexican. Green Chilies rule!!
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
shortfive_2000
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

El Pinto -- try the Red Chilli Ribs , not a bbq joint but well worth the effort.
shortfive_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
BobBrisket

We have been to Burque Town many times and I can't even think of a BBQ Place to recommend. You cannot go wrong with the Mexican Food and get your fill of anything with Green Chile/Red Chile. There is a little town on the skirts, Bernalillo, NM. Cool little town too and one of the old towns. Good food down there too.
The Zoo is cool. Take the Aerial Tram up at Sandia Peak. Great experience.

If you like hotdogs, YOU must try the Dog House. Little hole in the wall place with great dogs. It's the whole package. Atmosphere, experience, and just good hot dogs!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/dog-house-drive-in-albuquerque
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
jhuyser
On the road to being a farker

I second that living in the area JETHRO'S sucks and should not be considered BBQ.. Two thumbs up on Smokey D's at least he has won actual BBQ AWARDS!!! Jethro's is more of a fashion statement for the local's for some reason, and it hurts my ears every time someone says "jethro's BBQ"
jhuyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
Gary Tomato
Full Fledged Farker

I went to Rudy's Country Store and BBQ when I passed through Albuquerque, it was fantastic, couldn't help but trying as much as I could ...

sausage, ham, turkey and pork ribs!
Gary Tomato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #11
Okie Sawbones
is One Chatty Farker

Glad to see Rudy's is still up to speed.
My cooking family - 48" Jambo Pit Clone, Blaz'n Grill Works Gridiron Pellet, Primo XL Ceramic, Weber 22" with Smokenator, Lynx 36" SS Grill, Lynx Wok Burner, Charbroil The Big Easy, Weston 36" Upright, Cambro 400, DigiQ DX2, Maverick ET732
PNWBA - CBJ
KCBS - CBJ
DAV, VFW
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote