ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #16
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Portion control and exercise are the key. Worked for me lost 30 in 8 years with no gain back. I didn't put it on all at once so I took it off gradually and never quit eating what I liked.

Incentive to watch portion control and exercise......NO heart attack, but had triple bypass surgery!!

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #17
Forellan
Found some matches.

I gained almost sixty pounds in twenty four years of marriage. No ones fault except for my own. I clearly had fallen into that futile cycle of dieting followed again by weight gain. Add to this my DW suffers from MS. Working with a nutritionist, she found that she was able to minimize her issues by following a Paleo-type diet. So several years ago, we made the commitment to significantly change to a Paleo type diet. As stated in previous posts, no fast foods, processed foods or white starch type foods. A diet that heavily emphasized fresh vegetables and protein. And most of that protein was prepared on my pellet grill using salt-free, low sugar rubs and seasonings. The result? I'm down fifty-five pounds in four years and do not think I have gone hungry one day. Properly prepared, smoked or grilled food can be an integral and successful part of your diet. Exercise is a must!
Forellan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #18
eggzlot
Full Fledged Farker

I lost 65lbs last year, all with weight watchers and excerise. I've kept it all off the last 5 months. All about portion control and developing new eating habits. I cut back big time on drinking and quantity of BBQ but still ate some. I grilled way more chicken/fish/turkey burgers, used lower sugar/salt rubs, etc. I made some good fatties but used turkey meat instead of sausage, etc. Just gotta be creative

Good luck!
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #19
ITBFQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I lost around 35 pounds a couple of years ago, still BBQing once or twice a month. I did the same as most have mentioned here - lean meats, veggies, the occasional treat (maybe fried chicken a few times a year, a piece of cake once in a while at work - moderation is key here) and exercise. I gave up beer during the week, and try to keep it reasonable on the weekends. I quit smoking, and that was hard, too. I also knew I had to include exercise in my plan if I wanted to give up the smokes for good while not ballooning up. So, I started running. At first, it was almost impossible to run a mile in under 20 minutes - I was miserable. Now, I run 5Ks in under 28 minutes - not going to win any like that, but it helps me keep the weight off. Plus, I like the quiet time that running by myself for a half an hour a few times a week gives me. Following this has allowed me to keep my weight between 160 and 165 (I'm 6 feet tall) while not feeling hungry or deprived of anything.

Also, one of the smartest things I've read was mentioned on here - nothing out of a cellophane wrapper! Man, that's smart.

Find what works for you and stick to it! Good luck!

Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; UDS; DigiQ DX2; CharBroil Gasser; Maverick; OTS; etc.
ITBFQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #20
bananablack
Full Fledged Farker

I lost 23 pounds in 2 months by eating low carb...aka firing up the smoker while watching carb intake. didn't eat anything white

Unread 01-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #21
16Adams
Babbling Farker

Weight Games. I did not focus so much on pounds as I did a percentage of body weight. What I did find out about myself is I am extremely salt sensitive. Eat a bowl of broccoli beef at Chyo's and I was +3 pounds for 2-3 days. Sugar and it's substitutes are hidden everywhere. Bleached flour/sugar and worse are in nearly every processed prepackaged "food" When you control the cook, you control the ingredients. Family and friends-IF NOT SUPPORTIVE-should be avoided. They're not the ones paying for your future prescriptions, or in the hot seat when the doctor says," sit down we need to talk"

"Fighting the family DNA one smoked or grilled delicious meal at a time."
16Adams is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #22
NickTheGreat
is One Chatty Farker

Meat isn't really the problem with dieting. It's all the sugars and starches people eat. Maybe you won't be able to eat the mac-n-cheese with the 2 gallons of cream in it. Or eat potatoes, bread, and pasta on the side.

But a nice smoked meat could be used in a number of healthy dishes.

Now if you're a brewer, that would be hard to do and diet, I'd think :(

Unread 01-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #23
aawa
Babbling Farker

I am constantly Queing and I am in the process of losing weight. My goal is to get from 215 down to 170-175. Since Thanksgiving I have lost 15lbs. I cut out fast food, watch my portions, portion control the starchy sides, and eat more fruits and veggies, haven't started doing physical activity other than walking my dog.

I have yet to feel hungry, eat the foods that I love, and don't feel like I have missed out on anything. If I want pizza, pie, or any "guilty" food I still eat it, I just make up for the calories in other ways such as taking a longer walk, eat a huge salad w/ grilled chicken breast etc.
Weber Mini WSM
Sublime Smoke UDS
Lazy man Pitmaster IQ110 w/ rainbox

Superest Fasterest Blue Thermapen

Want to meet some others with the obsession of BBQ? Clicky for the planning of the Virginia/Mid-Atlantic Brethren Bash
aawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #24
Dauvis
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

As what the others said here, BBQ and dieting are not incompatible. Smoking does not add any appreciable calories that I can tell. If you stick to the leaner meats such as chicken, turkey, and fish, you will be fine. Of course, that would depend on the regimen you choose to follow. The two things you need to watch out for is sodium (introduced mainly through rubs) which can cause water retention and sugars (sauces and glazes) that will increase the number of calories.

Unread 01-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #25
cmseeley
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Meat isn't really the problem with dieting. It's all the sugars and starches people eat. Maybe you won't be able to eat the mac-n-cheese with the 2 gallons of cream in it. Or eat potatoes, bread, and pasta on the side.

But a nice smoked meat could be used in a number of healthy dishes.

Now if you're a brewer, that would be hard to do and diet, I'd think :(
Right on with this one!!! Just like everyone else says, sugars, flour, and processed crap food is what is hurting us. I am in the same boat as you are, and am going to be more in tune with what I am going to be eating. Real meat, fruits and veggies, no sugar, and no flour. For sweeteners I might be ok with real maple syrup, or honey. Only processed stuff is if I process it myself. If anything I will be BBQing more I think.

Chris
cmseeley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #26
Flash Point
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'm amazed at how much weight I can lose eating meat and vegetables.

There isn't a cure-all magic bullet, though, which is why the folks on this thread who have lost a bunch of weight all seemingly did something different. For me, cheat days were an exercise in anxiety because I held off eating things that I liked all week and went berserk on Saturdays. After my furlough, I went back to torturing myself. Instead, I found that not sweating small stuff- like using a small amount of honey in a BBQ sauce once or twice a week or not agonizing over the peanut oil used to fry naked chicken wings was the easier route.

I've found that sticking to a meat, fruit, vegetable, and dairy diet wasn't too hard. I limited sugar, but didn't cut it out 100%. Turns out, I need a sweetener once a week, if that. At that usage rate, it wasn't a thing. So, ribs with a salad and a side of vegetables (like brussel sprouts with bacon and butter) was inline with my weight loss plan. At least, I kept losing weight.
Flash Point is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #27
aawa
Babbling Farker

One of my favorite tools that I use to count calories is the app MyFitnessPal on my smartphone. It is also available on the web. It has a huge database on the calorie counts on foods. If it is store bought with a UPC you can scan it with your smartphone and it will come up with the nutritional information. If it is a homemade item (such a mashed potatoes, salads etc) you can plug in all the ingredients and how many servings it makes and it will come up with the nutritional information for it.

I also used the food scale I have for kitchen use to really get a feel for portion sizes. I wasn't sure what 6oz's of pulled pork really looked like. So before I was guessing at how much I was eating. After a couple of times of weighing out portions, I can now get very close to a correct portion size so I can accurately keep track of calories.
Weber Mini WSM
Sublime Smoke UDS

Want to meet some others with the obsession of BBQ? Clicky for the planning of the Virginia/Mid-Atlantic Brethren Bash

Unread 01-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #28
16Adams
Babbling Farker

Took my Type 2 diabetic mother to Furrs Cafeteria

'
Me: grilled tilapia, cucumber in vinegar salad, steamed broccoli, navy beans, spinach

Her: fried catfish, fried okra, Mac n cheese, jalapeño cornbread and red velvet cake

For my family tree-and they all branch differently , choices are more important than portion control.

I don't avoid carbohydrates, only those found in processed foods.

"Fighting the family DNA one smoked or grilled delicious meal at a time."
16Adams is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #29
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Grilling is healthy and low fat Stay away from Commercial rubs & sauces oh I love the Q 2 and round is a shape

Unread 01-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #30
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Took my Type 2 diabetic mother to Furrs Cafeteria

'
Me: grilled tilapia, cucumber in vinegar salad, steamed broccoli, navy beans, spinach

Her: fried catfish, fried okra, Mac n cheese, jalapeño cornbread and red velvet cake

For my family tree-and they all branch differently , choices are more important than portion control.
I would have the grilled tilapia, steamed broccoli, cucumber salad, and mac and cheese.

I'm a sucker for mac and cheese, corn bread and red velvet cake. I would allow myself to have 1 small portion of what I love vs going without. I like to enjoy my food and not resent the fact that I did not choose at least 1 thing that I absolutely love because it isn't good for you.
Weber Mini WSM
Sublime Smoke UDS