The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #31
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Looks fantastic! Welcome to the forum.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #32
SmittyJonz
Babbling Farker

That does Look Good!

Unread 01-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #33
IlliniQ
On the road to being a farker

Okay, apparently we've got a 70% chance of intermittent snow tomorrow, but this butt isn't gonna last in my fridge forever, so I'm going to take my chances with the weather and go for it starting early tomorrow morning.

I do have one more question for you guys. What is the best way to go about extinguishing the coals in my ECB. I tried searching the forum a bit, and the consensus seems to be to close up all the vents and the fire goes out. However, I haven't modded it to have any adjustable dampers/vents yet, so I'm not really sure how I can seal it up.

On the other hand, I've got a foot of snow I can toss on the coals when I'm done. I'm not super comfortable with just letting it burn out since it's going to be sitting near my garage (made of wood), and with the weather turning ugly and windy late tomorrow, I don't want to risk waking up to the sound of my car exploding (somewhat joking, but still, probably shouldn't leave it burning unattended).

Should I douse it with water or snow? Is there another way to snuff out the coals on the ECB?

Thanks for all your help so far - I'm really excited to get cooking tomorrow, and I wouldn't be ready to do it without all the friendly advice I've received from all of you!

(PS - there will be pictures of my efforts whether it's a success or a failure...)

Unread 01-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #34
chicagokp
is Blowin Smoke!

I wouldn't douse with water or snow. Just let them burn out. If you close the vents as much as possible, they will just slow burn. Or you could relocate your smoker to a safer place once you take the meat off. If you're really worried, just shovel snow up around the sides to protect what you want protecting. It's gonna be plenty cold tomorrow still.

When you're cooking, just be patient. Resist the urge to pull too early where not all the pork is done. It's probing easy in place, but not all over, kind of thing. When it's all ready, it's all ready. And, if you're done with the weather, you've had it, the coals are cashed and the butts not ready, just wrap it in foil, put it on a lipped plan and put in the oven to finish it at 275.

And post during the day while you're cooking, or if you have questions. Someone will be bound to answer while your are cooking.

Good luck!

oh, and we like action pics!

White Lightning Thermopen
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #35
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1

I agree that you can wrap it when you hit the stall or just when your coal are giving up. At that point the meat won't be taking on anymore smoke anyway. You'll get the same end result. Good luck and have fun brother.

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #36
Kathy's Smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

Relocating the cooker to burn out somewhere safe is a good idea. Or, once relocated, you could still dump the pan of coals on the snow and cover with shovels of snow until you're happy. Most important to me is that you don't lose sleep or peace of mind from worrying about them, if that means extinguishing them in snow, so be it. Last winter I heard about a fire on the news, don't remember if it was just the garage, the house or both that went up in flames. Was around Christmas or New Years Day, too. They had fireplace embers in an open ash pail, I think they left them to sit on the porch or something. The wind blew them and started the fire. You just never know what bad situation is lurking around for the right combination of bad luck. Before hearing about that story I didn't think leaving ashes outside were so dangerous, though, mind you, I would have had mine covered, never open. Having the benefit of hearing that story now, I am more anal about things like that. Doesn't hurt to do more than you need to in this case.
Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about!
I got a ZERO for the best back bacon I've ever tasted!

Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.

Hi!
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #37
ebijack
Full Fledged Farker

If your smoker is sealed up pretty good, shutting down the intakes and exhaust should have the temps coming down in 30 minutes and cool enough to touch in 1 hr. At least that is my experience with my smokers. Even running at 700 degrees they shut down quick. No air, no burn. It takes oxygen to have fire/heat. If you haven't sealed it yet, you could put foil under the lid and that might seal that up when you push the lid down.

Unread 01-04-2014, 06:08 AM   #38
IlliniQ

Finally got things going, and wanted to be sure to fulfill the request for some action shots.

It's a balmy 21 degrees here, and the winds are blowing about 15mph. I ended up clearing out a little spot on my patio that is blocked on two sides by the house to deal with the winds. Assuming I don't fill up the house with too much smoke, this should work out okay I hope.

I got the coals started without too much difficulty, and had no trouble getting up to temp. In fact, I was getting worried I would overshoot, but it settled in pretty steady.

Started with a 7 lb shoulder, bone-in

Coated it in yellow mustard, and mixed up a rub of brown sugar, BBQ 3000 and Chesapeake Bay Seasoning. I also added about a tablespoon of ground coffee to the mix as I really like the way coffee works with smoked/grilled meats.

It's been on since about 5:45 central time, hoping for the best. Also hoping I don't have to attempt to move it, but not sure the wife is gonna be crazy about the smoke smell so close to the house...

Unread 01-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #39
madmike
Got Wood.

If she likes BBQ, she will love the smell. I never thought to use ground coffee in a rub, I have used brewed coffee in jerky marinade and liked it. I will try some in a rub. I love new ideas! I hope your shoulder comes out awesome! BTW, my spousal unit loves the way I smell when I have been out smoking, they should bottle that scent.

Unread 01-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #40
chicagokp
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks like a good start!

White Lightning Thermopen
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #41
IlliniQ

So...I don't have a probe thermometer, and have just been rolling with the stock thermometer right around the D in IDEAL. It's been on about 5.5 hours and is super tender when I probe and my instant read is showing 195 internal temp already. Did I kill it? What should I do at this point? Move it to the oven? Stop cooking and rest it? Just keep going?

Unread 01-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #42
IlliniQ

For what it's worth, it looks delicious...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.4 KB, 47 views)

Unread 01-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #43
IlliniQ

Update - moved it to the oven, wrapped. Holding it there now. Any thoughts how long to keep it in the oven. Also, since it's going to be done earlier than planned, what's the best way to either keep it warm or reheat for dinner time? Keep it whole til then, or pull it and then reheat? Thanks in advance for any help!

Unread 01-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #44
dadsr4
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Wrap it in old towels and put it in a cooler. It will stay hot till it's time to pull.

Unread 01-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #45
IlliniQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Wrap it in old towels and put it in a cooler. It will stay hot till it's time to pull.
Okay, so out of the oven now and just rest it in a cooler til dinner time?