MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:54 PM   #16
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
I'll second the notion of using intake risers. And its not about looking cool- think itd look better without it honestly, but...
Intakes which are perpendicular to high winds are far less affected by it than intakes facing wind. I know because I have cookers with both. The cooker with low, side intakes gets its a$$ kicked on windy days and the one with risers laughs at the wind and keeps on truckin. Jm2c.
This...

Old 01-02-2014, 12:14 AM   #17
farmerman
Found some matches.

Woah, sorry. Huge pic
farmerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 04:21 AM   #18
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I can positively state a riser does restrict some air flow. Does it matter, depends on what you want to do with your UDS. Just yesterday I did another test on mine. 10-12 degrees out, windy, single digit temps, snowing. Both 1 1/2" risers removed ( just twist them out) I was at 600 degrees, put em both back in, temp stopped climbing and settled back to 525/550 deg. Removed em and temp went back to 600 degs. Then I removed the lid, put a pizza, temp dropped to 450. I cooked 2 pizza's 12 minutes each about. During the first I reinstalled the risers for a couple minutes, just because and the temp settled at 500, removed the risers and temp was at 550 when removing the first pizza. My 2 risers, one is 16 inches, the other 12 inches. Also you have to have exhaust control if your shooting for higher temps. I have been playing with that also from the flat lid to the dome lid. I found it easier to work on the drums if you have a 2 wheeled wheel barrel, lay the drum in the wheel barrel it holds the drum at a decent height to work on for drilling , welding etc.

ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #19
Bigr314
Babbling Farker

How high above the top of the charcoal basket to you put the diffuser?
Shirley Fabrication 24x50 RF with warmer(Boss Hogg)

Tab Benoit- Must listen to this artist. A cross between southern blues,Stevie Ray, and Louisiana cajun. Great listening while having a brew and tending the stick burner.
Bigr314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #20
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigr314 View Post
How high above the top of the charcoal basket to you put the diffuser?
My grate for the defuser is 18 inches up from the bottom of the drum.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #21
Friction33
Full Fledged Farker

One more question. Sorry if it sounds stupid. Will any 22.5 kettle lid fit the drum or does it have to be a weber? I can not find any of any brands at all but can buy a new off brand kettle for around 25 dollars. Thanks
Friction33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2014, 11:39 PM   #22
Wahoo95
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friction33 View Post
One more question. Sorry if it sounds stupid. Will any 22.5 kettle lid fit the drum or does it have to be a weber? I can not find any of any brands at all but can buy a new off brand kettle for around 25 dollars. Thanks
Depends on the drum, however the lid off the 22.5" BBQ Pro Kettle that Home Depot sells will work.....as pictured above on Ebijacks UDS. I test fitted on on the Weber grills to verify.
Wahoo95 is offline   Reply With Quote